Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Patellofemoral Malalignment Syndrome Surgery?  (Read 1469 times)

Offline KayteRose

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patellofemoral Malalignment Syndrome Surgery?
« on: March 03, 2009, 06:03:17 AM »
Hi Everyone! Heres my story: -short&sweet-

I lived in Ohio where I became a late athletic player, I loved volleyball, basketball and most of all softball. When I hit highschool sports and intense training, I noticed something was not correct in my right knee, so usual my mom and I went to the local sports medicane orthapedic and he did some x-rays and he said something about "chromald...." (no idea) then my mom pointed out that I walked with my right foot out, its been like that since I was born, so he took a look at it and measured the Q angle, or something and said I have Patellofemoral malalignment syndrome and tibia torsian and lets try physical therapy, so I went through eight weeks of that and worked my butt off (15 yrs of age). Then a lot of events happened and it got worse, I wore the brace and continued my PT and just used my left leg to compensate for my right leg.
(then economy happened-my real moms house forclosed and so on and I moved to pensacola florida)
I just recently moved to Gulf Breeze, Florida, with my dad, and I am a Junior now and I made Varsity Softball Team when I moved down here (the first practice I went to I sprained my left ankle) then I walked it off and a week later sprained it again while pitching (Im a very good fastpitch softball player) Then during our home opener I sprained it again and tore some ligaments (now Im in a boot)
While all this was happening I went to Dr.Ostrander of the ANDREWS INSTITUTE and he said the only option left is surgery because it dislocates often and now with my sprained left ankle he wants to do the surgery on MARCH 19,2009
I am really nervous about this surgery, I dont quite understand he said something about cutting the tibia with the tendon attached and shifting it and releasing something, Im young and scared, I just want this fixed, and yes, Im very nervous, but Dr.Ostrander is supposed to be the second best kneee doctor in the world. Can any give and comments, relations to this, anything, anyone had this done?
Thats the short story if you have any questions I can answer them more in depth=)

Offline kathat

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Aussie, Aussie, Aussie
Re: Patellofemoral Malalignment Syndrome Surgery?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 02:47:38 PM »
Hi,

I had the same surgery as what you are to have done. It's called a tibial tubercle transfer (TTT) or distal patellar tendon transfer. They basically cut into the bone under where the patellar tendon inserts (leaving it attached, but moveable) and move it into a better position and screw it down with one or two screws. Different surgeons have different protocols of how you are rehabbed afterwards. Some allow you to take weight on the leg straight away, most have you in a brace for a few weeks and on crutches. If you ensure that you rest, ice and elevate the leg as much as humanly possible following surgery then you'll recover faster. It does hurt, so ensure you take regular pain relief to keep on top of the pain - the more you can rest with the leg up, the less pain you'll get too. Don't push to get up and about too soon. I basically stayed in bed (besides toilet trips) for two days, and then only got up for short periods of time over the next couple of weeks. I used pain as my guide, making sure I put my leg up as soon as it started throbbing. Most of us find we get blood rushes to the surgery leg which can be sharply painful - these happen when you stand up, especially after lying down for a while, but disappear quickly. Bruising can be amazing (all down the leg to the foot), but I didn't find it was particularly painful.

If you have the surgery done now, before the alignment problems cause more damage, then you should have a good recovery and be able to get on with your life. The initial thing your orthopaedic guy said would have been "chondromalacia patella", which is sort of a wishy-washy term but usually means softening of the cartilage on the back of the patella (due to many reasons, such as malalignment). If this is the only damage then it should heal over time once the surgery corrects the alignment.

Anyway, I wish you luck for your surgery. Feel free to ask any questions.

Kathy

Offline adlottis

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Patellofemoral Malalignment Syndrome Surgery?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 06:11:43 PM »
Hi,

Kathy explained this surgery well, I had this surgery plus some additional procedures added in  :).

There are many young girls your age on this board who are either recoveing from this surgery or are getting ready for it. 

I wish I had  been young like you when I had this surgery, it would have saved me years of grief. 

Do your research to make sure that it is the surgery for you, it is difficult to rehab from, and is  painful but you have youth, determination, and I'm assuming good health that you'll do well.

If you have anymore questions, Just ask.

Annette
1976 first dislocation 10 years old
1980 14 yrs old LR, MR, remove chip bone
1980-2005 numerous dislocations
March 2007 Proximal/distal realignment, chondroplasty
July 2007 MUA
July 2008  synvisc
Sept 2008 patellar tendon tendonitis
June 2009 hardware removal, LR, debriedment

support