Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: WOULD APPRECIATE ADVICE OR HELP FROM THE INFORMED  (Read 2702 times)

Offline WNYKNEE

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
WOULD APPRECIATE ADVICE OR HELP FROM THE INFORMED
« on: March 01, 2009, 06:16:44 PM »
ABOUT 4 years ago  i had surgery on my right knee    to  remove  fragments from my knee       I had Osgood sphlatters  from about 10 years old    about 4 years   ago the pain was terrible      i guess   bone chips had broken off the  callus  that was Osgood shatters       i  had open surgery           the pain is not nearly as bad as it was      but  i believe    during the surgery  a nerve was severed   and   scar tissue has built over it     causing  an annoying feel in my knee

i do swim    and  that seems to be the best relief  for it    ive done  the  cortisone shots    recently and   after the surgery   did some physical therapy after the surgery    but at the time   maybe did not know  the problems   of the cause

my question  i guess   is

does anybody have any theraputic   advice     for me   that   help me going forward

thank you very much

exploratory surgery would be the last resort

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: WOULD APPRECIATE ADVICE OR HELP FROM THE INFORMED
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 09:38:15 PM »
hi!
anytime you have surgery it is necessary to cut through the nerve endings in the skin/flesh and subsequently leaves you with a sort of numb strange feeling!  Is the skin surface still sensitive - if so get something like E45 cream or bio oil and massage the area - it will help desensitise it and get you used to the feel of the skin there - I would have thought you would have got used to that feeling after 4 yrs (if we are talking about the same thing!) I havent had proper feeling in the skin over my knee for about 25 yrs and it still feels odd at times when I touch it !
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

gigi67

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 01:18:13 AM »
I was told two years ago that the numb/pins n needles feelings will always ve there due to the nerves being severed. two years later...still there and I messaged it all the itme..like several times per day the first year....didnt help. helped with the scarring in general but not the new senses in the leg.

Offline kacrab1

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 04:06:42 AM »
I had back surgery as a teen and still had numbness more then 20 years later! I've also had the numbness in my knee since surgery but that doesn't really count since I keep having more surgery!!!!  Like they said it may not ever go away, massaging is not going to make a difference.
PKR 8/2006
tibial fracture 9/2006
TKR 10/2006
failed replacement TKR revision10/2007
Manipulation 1/2008

support