Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: What did I do to my knee?  (Read 1158 times)

Offline b12BC

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
What did I do to my knee?
« on: February 27, 2009, 03:23:10 AM »
I'm a newbie here, so answers in English rather than knee geek tech talk would be greatly appreciated  ;D

This summer I was visiting a friend and I made the stupid decision to jump on her trampoline. I was just going up and down, no crazy stunts. I landed badly and my knee popped quite loudly and gave out. I was in immense pain, I couldn't move or talk coherently and I had to be carried into her house. After a strong dose of painkillers and a lot of ice, I was able to move off of her couch, but I couldn't move much more or very fast. I didn't have insurance at the time so I toughed it out and didn't go to the doctor. My knee swelled to the size of a grapefruit and was very painful and unstable (I was on crutches for a good ten days, then I began weaning myself off of them). I couldn't bend it more than 20* or so for about a month, and it took about three months of stretching and exercising it as often as possible before I got even close to my full range of motion. For the longest time it would bend to a certain point, then I could physically push it a little farther, but it would pop. It has been about 8 months and I have almost returned to my previous level of activity (I very active swimming, running, and riding horses) although I cannot run the distances that I did in the past, and quite often my knee will give out from under me toward the inside. I finally have insurance now so I can see a doctor, but I'm wondering if any of you could give me an idea of what I might have done to myself and what I might expect from my doctor.

Thank you!

Offline b12BC

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: What did I do to my knee?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 03:25:30 AM »
Oh, one more tidbit I'd like to add that I forgot to mention - I have dislocated this knee once before and I have chondromalacia, but I had not had any knee issues in the past several years due to either of those things.

Offline michelel

• Forum Faithful
Re: What did I do to my knee?
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 10:42:51 PM »
So was your pain on the inside or the outside of your knee? With you hearing the pop and the instant swelling sounds like you could have torn your ACL.Anterior Cruciant Ligament.  You can find alot of info on this page about ACL injuries just scroll down the home page and you'll see it.  Also theres a website ACL solutions that is helpful.  Good luck to you and keep us posted.
Peace
Michele
Right Knee:  1983 meniscal tear scope debridment &lateral release. 1991, 1997, 2001
2003 scope meniscal tears. 
8-08 MFX MFC lesion FAILED.
 4-09 Went in for OATS-not a canidate.
 6-09 Uni Right MFC.

support