Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: newbie with kneecap popping and pain  (Read 704 times)

Offline gecn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
newbie with kneecap popping and pain
« on: February 27, 2009, 01:55:15 AM »
Hi all!  I've read through some of the posts on here, and this looks like such a supportive and helpful forum :)
I'm going to call my orthopedic doctor's office tomorrow for an appointment, but it will probably be a little while before I can get in.  I guess I'm just looking to see if anyone might have an idea about what's going on with my knee.

So, here's my story...I'm 29, and I figure skate several times a week.  A couple years ago, I dislocated my right knee doing a lunge on the ice.  With rest and physical therapy, I was back to normal in a few months.  I'd actually dislocated the same knee a couple times when I was much younger, so this wasn't exactly a new experience, although I'd blocked out how incredibly painful it was! 

Just last week, I caught my blade in the ice while my right leg was in a turned out position.  I immediately felt pain, but didn't feel my kneecap dislocate.  I have almost no pain at all when walking, but my knee will make a popping sound and I feel a sharp pain just below and toward the inside of my kneecap when I bend the knee and put weight on it (like when I walk up and down stairs).  So, while I'm walking around just fine, I can barely skate because I need that knee bend.  I've tried skating with my knee brace on, but it didn't help.  And there's no swelling at all.

Any idea what's wrong with it?  At this point, I'm not sure if I should keep off it or try to make it work.
Thanks!   :)