Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 6 weeks post-op TKR  (Read 7541 times)

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
6 weeks post-op TKR
« on: August 25, 2003, 05:17:46 PM »
Hi!

I've been avoiding this board, but today seems as if it is a perfect time to reflect on what I've been dealing with.  6 weeks ago today, I was in surgery at thsi moment, planning to be mobile and more pain free than I've been in years...So, what is happening?

I continued to have high levels of pain--that made physical therapy a modern day totrture and mobility and sleep a major joke.  Finally, my os and I decided that this needed other attention and 11 days a go, I went back to the hospital for 7 more days, a manipulation, and a hefty stab at pain management.  Numerous things went on at the hospital, but I did actually have two almost pain free days and I had a night of uninterrupted sleep. I also had a major improvement in both my extension and my flexion and came home with new pain meds and new hope that things were progressing.

That may be slowing down a bit again--At pt on Friday, I was very stiff again.  Although I was considerably improved from the -30 to 95 I had in rom before surgery, I was down from my hospital rom of -3 to 117 to -10 to 97.  I'm exercising 5 times a day, taking round the clock pain meds and have been given orders to keep my leg elevated with my heel elevated and weights on my knee.

I also had the disturbing news that the back aches I've been dealing with since my arm surgery in May are due to arthritis--and it is most likely that my hips and ankles are also included in that diagnosis.  What I know is that my body really aches and hurts and that what I do or don't do to one joint seems to have a snowball effect on everything else.

In about 15 minutes, I'm calling my pcp to discuss what seems to be an infection in the site where I had a femoral nerve block.  I am going to pt daily and I will talk to my os tomorrow with another follow-up in a week.  I am a bit blue today because when I had my tkr on my left knee--at 6 weeks post-op, I returned to work, could walk without crutches and was pretty free of pain with help from vioxx and an occasional lortab.

I still expect to get there--but am traveling a far bumpier road than I expected or than I enjoy... :P  Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline lam651

• Forum Faithful
  • Someday
Re: 6 weeks post-op TKR
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2003, 07:54:55 PM »
Sylvia, I knew things weren't going well and I'm glad you summed everything up since your latest TKR so I could see the whole picture. I'm so sorry things have been so bad. It's hard to understand how things can be so different from one knee to the next. It just goes to show you that there are a lot of variables involved in any surgery and all we can do is make an informed decision and then hope for the best.

My latest surgery in Mar., that I thought was a new beginning in my life, has also taken new and unexpected turns leaving me thinking my life will never be what it was or what I was expecting.

I hope your situation turns around and things start to go the way everyone expected. I understood that you liked and trusted your OS. I hope he (or she) has seen a TKR go this way before and knows what to do. AS always you are in my thoughts and prayers. Take care, Larry
arthoscopy('99),HTO(tibia didn't heal 10/01),knee braces(7/02),HTO w/ex.fix. to repair tibial non-union(3/03), remove ex. fix.(9/03),HTO other leg(12/03)

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2003, 01:52:51 AM »
Thanks Larry,

I just got back from pt--and it was a surprise today--my extension was back to -7--hooray, but my flexion wouldn't go past 90.  At this point I do not have a clue what is up.  My pt told me to keep doing what I've been doing because the big deal is extension.  That is an echo of what my os has said--he told me that he knows the bend will come.

I called my pcp about this nasty looking place on my thigh--and she is out of town until tomorrow (like my os...)  The nurse there suggested I call my os and have them take a peek since it is their work.  I called, knowing my doc is gone and was told that the doc on call would call me back--and I waited and waited--so I went to therapyu.  While I was there, they called my husband on his cell phone and decided to have me come in tomorrow and see my doc.  They wanted me to see the doc on call (my former os, who I also thoughtthe world of) but since they couldn't get me this morning, I missed him.  (Another complaint about the privacy  manager my hubby put on our phone...)

It's been a tough asthma day too--and they sent my kids home from school over 2 hours early because of heat (99) and the heat index pushing 106.  I think I'm tired...Take care, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

ARC

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2003, 06:16:27 AM »
Sylvia:
Just wanted to say how happy  ;D I am that things have seemed to improve a little bit for you since surgery.  Best of luck tomorrow when you see the OS, I hope it is nothing major.

I can't believe your kids have already started back to school, my niece and nephews don't go back until after Labor Day.  I hope things improve with them as well as far as the asthma goes.  Can completly understand you being tired.

Take care and know that you continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

-Kolleen

Offline bc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2003, 08:41:39 AM »
Hi Sylvia,
Good to see you back online.  Sorry this knee has caused you so much grief.  I only experienced one knee repair, for which I am very grateful.  But my experience is close to your current one.  

It took another 4 weeks of PT after the manipulation for me to approach the 120 degrees my ortho got during the procedure, and my extension still isn't as good as I would like.  But I walk, and cold-turkeyed the pain meds last weekend (it has been almost 11 weeks and I was getting the word I should no longer have pain!)   My knee didn't agree, but it is manageable. Had my PT stopped by the insurance wizards.  I am worried it may stiffen again, so bike on a stationary bike every day to keep it loose.

You seem to be on target now, hope it only gets better faster.

bc

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2003, 12:30:08 PM »
Hi Kolleen and bc...

Thanks for seeing something positive in all of this.  As I am messing around with another sleep-interrupted night, it is not easy to see progress.

It is amazing howpain can work--and I hope your decision was the best one for you bc.  My doc increased the dose of my pain meds while I was in the hospital because we allfigured out that pain management in this situation is very important if success is to come.  A big part of my problem right now is the arthritis that is attacking many of the rest of my joints as well....And it seems that the work on this right knee is setting off the arthritis in my right hip, my back, my right ankle.  My os and I talked about that and there is no solution for all of that, just to deal with it as it surfaces and keep up with the vioxx.

Ah--the beginning of the school year, Kolleen.  My kids went back to school last Wednesday and have been sent home early 3 of those 4 days because of the high heat and humidity (arthritis anyone?)  For what it is worth, the district I teach in went back on August 4.  We are year round and have a/c in all of our buildings.

Asa always, thanks for your thoughtful answers and support. I'll find out today what this mess on my thigh is--I'm still guessing some level of infection and that can be very bad when you have a tkr.  I'll let you know.

Hugs, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline anasta5ia

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2003, 09:21:32 PM »
Sylvia-

I am so sorry that your pain seems to be causing you problems again.  Once that can be controlled, not only will you be able to get some much needed rest, but also be able to make some progress.

Have you seen the doc yet about your thigh?  I hope that all is well and it is not any kind of infection.

I am thinking of you and sending you many hugs for a speedy recovery.

-Heather G.

Rt. knee-plica resection, LR, 4 TTTs, MPFL repair & 2 MPFL reconstructions
Lt. knee-2 TTTs, & 2 MPFL reconstructions...
Scheduled for bilateral hardware removal, lt. knee TT revision, MPFL recon and LR recon with new wonderful surgeon.
Plus 9 other orthopedic surgeries

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2003, 03:28:13 AM »
HI....

Today has been a mixed bag...

I saw my os today.  My leg is infected so I'm on heavy duty antibiotics because he is worried about my knees.  Then he checked my rom--and was very concerned about my extension.  It was really bad today...and he got to see me before i had pt--and i'd only worked it out once.  He said that he needs to see me again next Thursday

Then I went to pt--I started out with my extension at -20, got it to -10.  My flexion was at 92.  This is improvement over a week ago, but not close to where I should be.  My therapist asked me if my os suggested another manipulation.  Argh--I don't want to think that way.

On my way home, my os' nurse called and said that he decided to let me have my way and go back to work half days and that I could go and pick up the note tomorrow.  

I feel confused--obviously my argument about needing to get back to my life struck a chord with him...

I'm feeling confused--not a little but a lot...one thing at a time I guess.

:o :o :o  Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline Jennie

• Forum Faithful
  • LoveBug
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2003, 04:31:10 AM »
Sylvia

It makes me so sad to know that you are having to endure so much right now, and for the last 6 weeks :'(

Although I know how strong you are and know that you will find the strength to get through it.  I just wanted to write you and let you know that I am thinking about you and praying for you.

It may not seem like it sometimes but I know that things will get better for you, and if you ever need me I am here :-*

Love,Jennie
21 yrs. old..Right knee injury. Ligament Recon 6-21-01, 2 LR's 3/02 & 9/02
TTT 11/08/02, patella and ligament recon 5/03
Recently dx with OA, Having hardware removed and knee scoped on 6/24/04

Offline Jillian24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2003, 09:01:14 PM »
Sylvia~
  I was going to say exactly what Jennie said. I hate to hear about all that you have been through and continue to face. The world just seems to be a bit off. Just try to find some strength in your darkness right now. I will be sending happy thoughts and many prayers your way. I wish you the best of luck!
I am glad to hear that you are going back part time. Thats great~ Good Luck Sweetie and please keep your head up!      Jillian
ONE TTT LAST OCT
10 LR'S    ONE MEDIAL RELEASE
STAPH INFECTION.....MANY MONTHS IN HOSPITAL

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2003, 09:15:25 PM »
Hi Jillian and Jenny,

Your words are very comforting to me right now--for whatever ridiculous reason, I'm in some out of control kind of pain, even though I had my pain meds two hours ago.  I can barely bear weight on my leg and the results are excruciating.  It is hurting sharply in a very different place than it has--and that is the place that ached and throbbed, keeping me stupidly awake all night.  I thought the immobilizer was the problem, but i have it and ther ted hose off right now and feel as if I could slam myself in the head with something and not notice it over the pain in my leg.  It is making me nauseated--and that is lousy.

I need to exercise so I'm not tortured awfully at therapy--am trying heat on the underside of my knee where the scar tissure had built up and ice on the top--duh--and am waiting to do some exercises when it is a bit less sore.

Thgis day will be a 10 day for pain and tears I suspect.  Geez

Thanks for your kindness, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline Sharon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2003, 09:39:43 PM »
((((((Sylvia))))))),

I'm so sorry to hear how much pain you are in today! I wish there was something I could do to make this better for you! I know that we all have good days and bad days but I wish I could take a few of my good days and give them to you because you truly deserve to have more of them. I really hope that the pain lets up a little for you! Just know that you are in my thoughts and prayers and I'm always here for you!!

(((Hugs)))
Sharon
Left knee:
LR-5/99 & 9/01
Distal realignment and LR 7/02
TTT revision 6/03
screw removal/MUA 10/03
d/x with severe patella baja
7/05 patellar tendon replacement w/piece of quad tendon
4/07 OATS

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2003, 09:47:13 PM »
Thanks Sharon,

I'm touched that you would even consider sharing good days with me, when I know how much pain and difficulty you have been having.  That means a lot and I do appreciate it.

I don't know what is up with this today but I'm feeling like I'm losing my mind again...

Maybe it will let up soon...Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline Jillian24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2003, 04:53:13 AM »
Sylvia~
   I think we would all take a bad day so you could enjoy just one pain free moment even. I just can't imagine. I seem to be in pain pretty much all the time, but definitly a bit more managable than your. I would take it away if I could, but since I can't I will continue to pray and sent every bit of positive energy your way~ Hang in there..Jillian
ONE TTT LAST OCT

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2003, 12:49:05 PM »
Thanks Jillian for those wonderful sentiments.  I've always wished we could make a pain bank around here and take turns bearing pain and having some true days off--days of rest.

Please know that I would do the same for you if I could--I do not know any one of us who deserves the pain and the disruptions in our lives that these knee issues have caused.

Take care, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline Jillian24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2003, 04:17:18 PM »
Sylvia~
   A pain bank what a good idea! I feel so lucky to have come accross this board. I have made such friends and do feel truly close to all of you. I even found a couple people in my area, and one with the same doc! I just cherish all of you~    Jillian
p.s   wishing you a better knee day
ONE TTT LAST OCT

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2003, 12:24:06 PM »
HI!

A pain bank--that is a good name for it.  I'm wondering if we could make deposits and never make any withdrawals from it.  That would be a perfect solution--just let the stinky stuff collect interest and dust.

This translates intot he fact that I'm in a lotof pain right now.  We are having some weather changes that are most likely the culprit behind this resurgance of ouch.  The rain and cooler are temperatures are much needed by many, so I won't rant and rave as much as I feel like right at this moment.

In less that 7 hours three of my big bosses--inclusing the top guy--will be meeting to discuss me and my doc's authorization to return to work half days.  It would seem that they are going to make an honest effort but do a bit of overkill and probably get a lot of others inconvenienced by this gimp's problems.  They are also really going to have me evaluated for fitness--duh--I wish that I had privvy to what they are really up to, scheming so and so's.

Since everyday this weekhas had a significant event going on, I'm willing to bet that today, too, will spit something frustrating at me.  I can and will handle it though.  

Take care, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline Jillian24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2003, 04:37:14 PM »
Sylvia~
   My fingers are crossed for you! I will be thinking about you...let us know!   Jillian
ONE TTT LAST OCT

Offline Sharon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2003, 09:52:53 PM »
Sylvia,

I really hope that something good comes out of this meeting! I have my fingers and toes crossed for you :) After all the pain you have been through lately, you deserve to have some good news to make you feel good! I hope your knee and other joints have settled down a little. Let us know how things turn out.

(((Hugs)))
Sharon
Left knee:
LR-5/99 & 9/01
Distal realignment and LR 7/02
TTT revision 6/03
screw removal/MUA 10/03
d/x with severe patella baja
7/05 patellar tendon replacement w/piece of quad tendon
4/07 OATS

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2003, 12:06:37 AM »
Well--

the superintendent got called to another meeting so everything was left as it was--grr.  Mt boss said that he was watching for his car to show up and he was going to go over there.  I was right in my thinking that I'm being used a bit as a negotiation token--they had promised him two more teachers this year and he is using me to try and get them to keep their word.

In the meantime, my phone lines have been down most of the day and I needed to talk to the os about a refill of pain meds since this is a holiday weekend and they have a no refill on the weekend policy.

In any case, I am going back to work Tuesday morning regardless--and it may be just to do nothing...I'll let you know when I know.  I'm off to pt--and then a 3 day reprieve from that torture as well--although truth be known I'm as hard on me as they are, if not harder.

Take care, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline Rich_NYC

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2003, 12:34:20 AM »
Hi Sylvia
I am truly distressed to hear what you have been going through :(.  It seems as though you are getting far more than your share of bad breaks.  I hope you can get back to work and that things work out for you.  As always, you are in my thoughts and prayers.
All my healing wishes
Rich
scope to repair 2 meniscal tears (didn't help the pain]; post-patellar osteoarthritis

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2003, 05:21:29 AM »
 :( :( :( :( :(

Well--today has been the day to tie up all of the weeks loose ends in the most unappealing way possible.

Our phone lines were out most of the day--from about 7:30 this morning until a bit before 3 this afternoon...so I used my time to exercise a lot.  So I get to therapy and...hooray, my extension started at -10 and after minor work, no tears, got to -4.  But I could barely stand or walk and after over an houtr of bending and sleds and bikes and all of that--and then my pt manually manipulating me into major tears--I got to a whopping 88 degrees flexion.  (It has been naturally at around 95 all week and my os got it to 135 in the OR) And that work out made me physically ill--and I can't get past the pain. (yet)

Then my boss finally called me.  They will not give him his teachers--so he is disappointed.  I know that I will be teaching in the room next to my past room on the first floor.  I told my boss to let the other teachers make the call on this--but I will either be getting a third grade class that will have to move down there from upstairs--or I'll get the second grade class that is already there and their teacher will go to the third grade class.  This will upset some 50 kids and 3 teachers.  I just want to work--I didn't want to cause a lot of turmoil.  They knew I'd be coming back, I'm thinking this could have been easier for all of us.  They are going to have to get me a full-time aide because I cannot take the kids down stairs to lunch, upstairs to the library, upstairs to music, or up two flights of stairs to pe.  And I have no idea when I get to be evaluated by the work fitness people.  I sure hope that they determine I'm "fit" to work--whatever in the #ell that means.

I'm sore, tired and frustrated right now...not a great combination.  I'm trying to tip the scale to enjoy this three day weekend with my family.  My second oldest son is coming home for the weekend and we're going to have a belated birthday celebration for him.

Ya can't beat love when all else fails...Sylvia  
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio