Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: (de)Rotational Osteotomy post-op road map  (Read 1271 times)

Offline linds13

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
(de)Rotational Osteotomy post-op road map
« on: February 20, 2009, 10:03:46 PM »
I don't know how much interest there is out there but I thought there might be a benefit (to each other and to those that follow) in establishing a thread that is pretty much "all business" in regards to post (de)rotational osteotomy surgery.  My biggest frustration- even more frustrating than the actual pain- is that there is not a road map to tell me where I am in the process... I've enjoyed the other diaries but I thought it might be good to have one that stays on topic.  We should write about the things we've done to get better: 
What has worked well...
What has not ...
What has made things worse...
We can cover pain management, meds, exercise, physical therapy, overall progress, keeping up with school work (or work work), maintaining a social life, getting family/ friends/ teachers to understand that some days are fine and others absolutely suck, working with insurance companies, whatever.  Share what you've experienced or ask questions- and try to keep it short...

I don't intend to act as moderator or even frequent contributor.  If there is an interest in this thread, I'm sure it will run itself.

First topic: Insurance Eligibility.  I am 18, working hard to finish HS this spring and will have the plate in my tibia removed this August (Teitge).  I have also had my femur (same leg) done.  I had planned to take off the fall semester and heal before beginning college after Xmas.  As you probably agree- this surgery makes school attendance very difficult.  Problem:  To remain on my dad's insurance after turning 19 (November), I have to be a full time student. Has anyone else had to wrestle with this particular insurance issue?

Second topic: Climate.  I live in Nebraska.  Weather changes in general, and especially cold weather- bring more pain.  Do any of you live in warmer states, e.g., FLA, TX, CA, AZ?  Does weather have an impact on you?

Regards to all,
LCB
2005 left and right lateral releases

2006 right knee reconstruction and femoral
derotational osteotomy

2007 right plate removal

2008 right tibial rotational osteotomy

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Crooked and Twisted!
    • Knee Pics at Photobucket
Re: (de)Rotational Osteotomy post-op road map
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 03:00:30 AM »
Hi,

I thought I would post and answer some of your questions. I am about 9 months out of a Femoral derotational osteotomy on my right side, done by Teitge. I am almost 5 weeks out of the left femoral derotation.

I am 19, and I COMPLETELY understand what you are dealing with as far as insurance goes. I had the exact same problem. I am a Junior in college in PA. I usually go to St. Vincent college, but it's a really really hard private school. It's expensive and difficult. I couldn't handle surgery and their curriculum at the same time. With them, school has to be number one and lately my number one priority has been to straighten my legs and be healthy. I decided with the cooperation of the school that I would take a medical withrawl from there for the year, and attend the community college and take online classes. That's what i'm currently doing now. I am still having a really hard time of it though. That's the only way that I could stay on dad's insurance, and as you know, that is a necessity.

My problem seems to be that I absolutely can not focus to get schoolwork done. If it's not one thing it's another. I think the drugs have alot to do with it, although I am mostly off them now. I am usually an A student, and school comes pretty easily for me, but lately, things have been really difficult. Have you experienced any of that??? It's really been bothering me.

Climate seems to really bother me. I'm in PA and the weather is constantly changing. One day it will be sunny and 65 and the next day it will be 27 and snowing. That brings alot more pain for me. The plates don't like it, and neither do the rest of my legs.

Lyndsey
5/15/08      R femoral derotational osteotomy
1/19/09      L femoral derotational osteotomy
12/17/09  hardware removal (L&R femoral blade plates and screws)
10/28/10 removal of bone chip and cleanup of scar tissue on left
4/2014 15 deg. Re-rotation of L Femur
9/2014 L. Plate Removal & Fix Fracture

Offline linds13

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 06:35:19 AM »
Lyndsey,

I'm planning on going to community college next year, too. It isn't the route I wanted to take, but it's probably my best option as of now. Concentration is also a huge issue for me. I am having to work a lot harder to keep current in class and graduating on time in questionable.

Thanks,
Lindsay
2005 left and right lateral releases

2006 right knee reconstruction and femoral
derotational osteotomy

2007 right plate removal

2008 right tibial rotational osteotomy

Offline twistedparent

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 07:12:19 AM »
Lyndsey-
Did you/ your family explore any Continuation of Insurance for Handicapped Children with your insurance provider?  This would be a temp declaration of handicap or disability.  I am hoping that might be an option for my daughter,who will turn 19 this year, so she can take some time off to heal.  Don't know if it will fly with the insurance company... still in the exporatory stage.

Also, how much and what kind of exercise/ PT are you doing?

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Crooked and Twisted!
    • Knee Pics at Photobucket
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 03:33:32 PM »
I'm not exactly sure about the insurance. I think mom explored all the options, and the only one left was I still had to be in school, even if it was online. Maybe with your insurance you will be able to push that through. If you can, I definitely would, I am having a really hard time with school after this surgery.

I'm not doing very much yet really, just straight leg raises, and some quad and hamstring exercises. Dr. T isn't really a big fan of PT I don't think, but last surgery I ended up going for a month before this surgery, so I could be strong enough to be on crutches again. I am planning on starting PT again after we go see him in MI on March 20th. I want to be stronger as fast as possible.

Lyndsey
5/15/08      R femoral derotational osteotomy
1/19/09      L femoral derotational osteotomy
12/17/09  hardware removal (L&R femoral blade plates and screws)
10/28/10 removal of bone chip and cleanup of scar tissue on left
4/2014 15 deg. Re-rotation of L Femur
9/2014 L. Plate Removal & Fix Fracture

Offline FormerlyActive

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 12:18:18 AM »
Somehow I just found this post. KG is so big!
I love the idea of a road map, especially for those of us considering surgery. For the more common procedures like knee replacement, the doctors seem to have brochures. But I think these surgeries are more rare, as evidenced by the few doctors who do them.
I think it woud be a great article for a med journal, written by a patient to give a timeline, tips, risks, etc. Especially for some of the students who are considering any type of health field.
For now we are just relying on each others' post op journals.
Thanks for the ideas and sharing.
3/82 - Medial Synovial Plica removal both knees
9/89 - Lateral Release both knees
3/08 - Reinjury left knee hiking Asia Pac
5/08 - Miserable Malalignment diagnosis
4/08 - 9/08 Five doctors diff. opinions
7/08 - 02/09 - In PT, no chg.
4/09 - Dr. 6 opinion femur & tibia derotation together