Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: is it water on the knee?  (Read 1156 times)

Offline larry_moore

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
is it water on the knee?
« on: August 24, 2003, 05:07:58 PM »
Hi all,

I had a fall 15 days ago. I landed on my knee and the lower leg and the upper leg twisted. I was riding a motorcycle. I kept riding after the accident for 4 more hours. The pain was not that bad and I was in the middle of nowhere.

I went to the hospital afer severl hours to take an X-ray not broken bones. I took antiinflamatory pills for one week. The swelling disapeared but a small bag with water between my skin and the knee was there with fluid. I went to the doctor and he took the fluid out 40ml .  He said to me that that was it that he do not think there is anything wrong and wait until i recover full motion.

Because I can walk with little unconfort I trusted him. But now the water is bulding up after two days.

What  is producing this fluid? Do I have just to wait  to heal by its own?  would I be just pumping this fluid out until build not more? I would like to know more before going back to the doctor.

Any advice or comment are very wellcome. Thank you in advance.

Larry

Offline ohiostatemel

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: is it water on the knee?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2003, 06:20:13 PM »
Larry:
Since you do not have any broken bones, I am assuming that you have a badly bruised knee.  When you injure your knee, and sometimes after surgery, your knee (specifically, the joint lining,. the synovium) mass produces synovial fluid in an effort to heal itself.  I had a similar problem after surgery.  The doctor would drain it one day, just to have it come back the next.  After having the knee drained several times, it finally stopped refilling.   I hope this helps a bit.

Take care,
Mel

Offline larry_moore

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2003, 12:37:45 AM »
Thanks for your answer Mel.

Seems that I would have to be drained several times more.

Would the production of fluid decrease if move the knee less or total inmovilization?

Larry

Offline ohiostatemel

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2003, 04:03:04 AM »
I really don't know-  for me, I was over producing the fluid whether mobile or immobile- it did seem to get worse with more movement.  If I were you I would go see the Dr. again to see what more can be done.  Good luck!

Offline ohiostatemel

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2003, 04:05:37 AM »
I forgot to add:  do a search on this website or others regarding synovitis and synovial fluid.  That way you can compare your symptoms as well as become more educated.