Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACI  (Read 1099 times)

Offline NellsKnee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACI
« on: February 18, 2009, 06:56:26 PM »

Hi All,

I'm being referred for ACI and my first meeting with new surgeon is next week, I'm happy to try this proceedure as I've had 3 microfractures which have all been unsuccessful. The trouble is I don't know what questions to ask the surgeon or what to accept as the 'norm'. I'm being sent to Stanmore where ACI is under clinical trials. I've read on other threads to ask for the surgeons experience in doing ACI surgery and not accept unless you are comfortable with their experience but my current consultant told me I could get a registrar doing the operation as it is a teaching hospital. I really want to give it a go because I want it to get better but I don't want to be a guinea pig!

Advice anyone???

Offline lis1

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: ACI
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 08:59:01 AM »
HI there

I have not had ACI as my surgeon does not agree with it but i have had multiple mosaicplasty plugs/OATS which has the same long term aims as ACI and from what i am lead to believe is a similar recovery plan.

I can tell you that it is a very long recovery and that initially it hurts - a lot! 

But as for questions you need to gauge the experience of the person that will be ooperating.  You need to ask them about their recovery/rehab and the chances of success.

There is also quite a lot of info on here about ACI and people who have gone through it if you go on further down the boards in the arthritis sections, and my suggestion would be that you read some of that and then contact some of the individuals there who may be able to help you out further.

Good Luck

Lisa
remidial meniscemtomy 1994
scope and tidy up july 2006
acl reconstruction and microfractures oct 2006 (failed on both counts)
oats june 2008 - very successful
acl revision patella tendon - oct 09

support