Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: re-rupture of quadriceps tendon  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Firechik

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
re-rupture of quadriceps tendon
« on: February 18, 2009, 04:48:49 AM »
First time posting here, new visitor.  I wrecked my motorcycle on 9/4/08 and fell on my bent knee (took all my weight).  Resulted in broken patella and complete rupture of the quadriceps tendon.  Had surgery that day to reattach (one piece of patella was too small to wire back so they tossed it out).  Very slow recovery, I'm still using a cane, and physical therapy 2x/week.  About 3 weeks ago I notice a lump next to my incision towards the top of the knee.  Then the next day my knee locked up twice.  Saw the OS a couple days later and he thought miniscus tear, so order an MRI.  After trouble with insurance, finally had the MRI on 2/9.  OS never called with results so PT called hospital on Friday to get the MRI report.  MRI shows partial rupture of the tendon.  I'm so bummed out I can't tell you.  I've done EVERYTHING I've been told, I haven't fallen or even stumbled, I haven't over-done things.  Called the OS today and was told they could get me in NEXT WEEK!!  I about lost it!  Called my primary doctor and she me an appt on Thursday at a Sports Med/Ortho practice an hour away on Thursday (my OS isn't a sports med guy -- I live in a very small town and he was my only option for emergency surgery).  Has anyone else out there had this?  I have no idea what to expect.  Can more surgery be done to repair or is it too late?  I'm so upset.  I'm a wildland firefighter and I'm so afraid this could be career ending.  Thanks for any help.   
patellar fracture and complete quadriceps rupture 9/4/08

Offline subail

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • The glass is always half full!
Re: re-rupture of quadriceps tendon
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 01:06:24 PM »
I had something like this after one of my surgeries...went to the doctor and was told one of the sutures had not dissolved and had to have it removed in a small surgery! Be patient...it very well might be something small....but do get it checked out!
Dislocation of left patella and as a result left patellar tendon rupture in the medial section/torn at both ends.
3 Previous surgeries-semitendiosis tenodesis
Reconstruction surgery left knee October 10 '07
TKR right knee May 25 '10.....successful!
Limited ROM/TKR left knee May 25 2015...successful.

support