Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Getting too old to keep doing this  (Read 944 times)

Offline dbender36

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Getting too old to keep doing this
« on: August 23, 2003, 01:04:24 AM »
I tore my ACL in my left knee 11 years ago (playing basketball) and went in for surgery.  After surgery the doc informed me that he decided not to perform the procedure because once inside my knee, he saw a lot of scar buildup and thought continuing the procedure would only make the knee worse.  After many many months of rehab, and wearing a big honking brace for about 5 years, I finally got to a point were my knee didn't hurt anymore, I didn't need the brace, and I was able to participate in all sports.  

That brings me to the present.  I'm now 36 years old and am still very active in sports.  Last week, after a Saturday softball game, my left knee became very sore (a lot of running/turning around the bases).  Then in Sundays game, with it still hurting, I slide into second base and it REALLY started hurting.  Since then (5 days later), I can't fully bend it nor straighten it, it hurts a lot (slightly to the touch on the outside of the knee, and very sharp when trying to bend or if I twist it when walking).  

In doing research on the web this week, I'm starting to wonder if the the doc not repairing a torn ACL 11 years ago has lead to athritis or perhaps some degenerative condition.  

Any thoughts or advise?

By the way, what may also factor into my condition is that I am a marathon runner.  Right now I am training for a marathon and am running about 40 miles per week... no doubt putting a lot of stress on the joint.

support