Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Looking for a volleyball player success story following ACI  (Read 31351 times)

Offline SamB

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Looking for a volleyball player success story following ACI
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2009, 04:19:16 AM »
Same here with the brace - thigh to ankle, locked at 0 degrees for awhile, then gradually opened up.  I actually kept the brace longer than the crutches, though.  I left it limited to about 90 degrees for the first couple weeks without crutches, mostly as insurance in case my knee gave out, at least I would know it wouldn't completely collapse.  Finally taking it off for good was sure a relief!
11/20/2007 - Removal of loose bodies, debridement, Left knee
4/15/2008 - Cartilage biopsy for ACI
6/17/2008 - Left knee ACI

Offline courtem10

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2009, 04:41:31 PM »
well speaking of post-surgery questions- does anybody have any pics of their ACI/AMZ scars out there?? i am expecting something pretty long and gruesome.......also, do more surgeons now use strips to cover the incision?? or are people still having staples put in??

courtney
7/08 Left knee microfracture
12/08 Left knee ACI biopsy
4/09 Left knee ACI/AMZ

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2009, 10:13:17 PM »
I had butterfly bandages and internal stitches.. worst thing happening is there are still some to dissolve.  I put a couple pics in my diary that I took today with my phone.

kim
February 1 2008 - left knee AMZ/LR/Debridement/ACI biopsy
December 2 2008 - left knee ACI - Patela
May 25 2011 - Left knee mfx - trochlea  (ACI growth looked "pristine"), Right knee ACI biopsy
September 5, 2012 - Right knee AMZ/ACI - patella

dileigh

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2009, 12:24:37 AM »
staples, unfortunately

Offline SamB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2009, 04:30:34 PM »
I had staples too. Lots and lots of staples.  The doc that took them out said they must have had an intern or resident that got a little too ambitious.  There is a pic on the first page of my post - Sam's ACI. 

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2009, 04:39:42 PM »
Wow. I remember looking at those pics, SamB... crazy.  I had to go look again  ;D
February 1 2008 - left knee AMZ/LR/Debridement/ACI biopsy
December 2 2008 - left knee ACI - Patela
May 25 2011 - Left knee mfx - trochlea  (ACI growth looked "pristine"), Right knee ACI biopsy
September 5, 2012 - Right knee AMZ/ACI - patella

Offline momhanaway

• Regular Poster
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2009, 04:41:54 PM »
I just went to look too.  Wow.  Thanks for putting those up. 

Offline courtem10

• Regular Poster
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2009, 07:25:17 PM »
i guess i am hoping for dissolvable butterfly strips. do the staples hurt when they are removed??
4/09 Left knee ACI/AMZ

Offline hopalongjo

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2009, 10:36:02 PM »
When I had mine out it felt like a little pin prick as each one was removed. I had 23 and were out within a few seconds. It was uncomfortable but not for long.

Offline djs60

• Regular Poster
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2009, 04:02:29 PM »
My scar is very long, but has faded to the point where you can barely see it.  I had "buried" disolvable sutures.

Staples don't really hurt coming out.  Many surgeons like them because it is _way_ faster to close a wound with staples than sutures.
3/06 left knee arthroscopy - grade IV lateral trochlea defect
chondroplasy & removal of loose bodies
1/07 left knee arthroscopy/cartilage biopsy
4/27/07 left knee trochlea & patella ACI with TTO

Offline SamB

• Regular Poster
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2009, 07:21:57 PM »
My staples didn't hurt much.  I ended up having to wait a couple extra days more than I should have, which resulted in them being a little more "grown in" than they should have been, but it still wasn't so bad.  Plus, getting staples makes for a way better story than if they use tape or something. :)

Offline courtem10

• Regular Poster
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2009, 02:46:20 PM »
Well I officially had my pre-op visit last night. Got my bledsoe brace, all my prescriptions and went through the rundown of what to expect on April 1st when I go under. The os was very reassuring with everything. Thankfully, I won't have staples, he is going to use the sutures instead. My only major concern was doing the procedure out patient. I am nervous that I won't be able to handle the pain well at home, but I am going to be optimistic and hope for the best outcome. I have started getting all my stuff together & getting the house prepped for post-surgery. Now I just have to wait, of course the days are dragging by at a snails pace. 14 more days & this will all be over and done with........

4/09 Left knee ACI/AMZ

Offline momhanaway

• Regular Poster
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2009, 07:17:23 PM »
Well I officially had my pre-op visit last night. Got my bledsoe brace, all my prescriptions and went through the rundown of what to expect on April 1st when I go under. The os was very reassuring with everything. Thankfully, I won't have staples, he is going to use the sutures instead. My only major concern was doing the procedure out patient. I am nervous that I won't be able to handle the pain well at home, but I am going to be optimistic and hope for the best outcome. I have started getting all my stuff together & getting the house prepped for post-surgery. Now I just have to wait, of course the days are dragging by at a snails pace. 14 more days & this will all be over and done with........

My daughter's surgery is before yours (Mar. 26) and she is outpatient as well.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline courtem10

• Regular Poster
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2009, 04:34:21 PM »
random question for all you women out there who have had ACI/TTT done: when were you able to walk around in heels again?? or maybe better question is when were you wearing things other than sneakers??

thanks,
courtney
4/09 Left knee ACI/AMZ

Offline vowell172

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2009, 07:44:03 PM »
Hi there,

My ACI was on the medial femoral chondyle. My hole was pretty big. 11mm wide by about 41 mm long. I had the internal stitches, no staples. I wore the brace for the first 3 weeks non stop. I now where one when I leave the house otherwise its off. I used a CPM machine for 4 weeks, 8 hours a day, and thats a couple hundred hours of my life I will never get back. There was a lot of pain at first when I tried to move it. But it did not hurt constantly when I was sitting still with it iced or propped up. The crutches have been my biggest complaint. I am so tired of them and it's only been 4 weeks and a few days. Therapy is a bit slow for me but unfortunately with this procedure you have to follow protocol and can't push it. I am now allowed to put about 25% of my weight on my foot with crutches. My knee is now more sore than painful and likes to be stretched and feels good to bend it. I occasionally have some bad days when my knee aches deep inside. My scar is about 7 inches long and on the inner side of my knee cap. Its not real bad and looks like it will heal up nicely. My doctor used some type of patch made from animals instead of harvesting a patch from my shin. It worked well and he said he is a lot less painful. So far so good. I have to say I thought I was mentally prepared for the long up hill climb but it has gotten to me a time or two. A little depressing at times.
Hope this helps!

Tom

support