Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Going to see Dr. Steadman in March after failed LR, etc- seeking advice  (Read 1346 times)

Offline SarahMN

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Hi, I am new to the board.  I have two knees with chrondomalacia, and patellar maltracking, "runner's knee" in the aging athlete.  I have MS and lupus which makes me a challenging patient.  I had a LR on the left knee in November.  A disaster 12 weeks later with terrible pain and was waiting for right knee to be done.
After the kneecap dislocated I was told about Steadman, and have decided to travel from MN to CO to try to get the appropriate surgery done on my Right knee, which has yet to be done.
--Any advice as to where to stay? 
--Also, what is Steadman's bedside manner like? 
I have met with several OS, and most seemed pretty high horse.  Certainly the one who did the LR on the left knee wants to have nothing to do with the problems I am having.  Although he is ready to do the same surgery on the RIGHT KNEE, yet untouched.
--I had a LR, chrondoplasty of the patella and MFC, plica excision, and synovectomy (?) on my LEFT knee.  I would never do it again, or recommend it to anyone. 
I have seen other surgeons since who are against LR in general, and one is ready to do a tibia tubercle osteotomy on the Right knee.  I don't trust any of them.  Two of them teach 3rd yr ortho surgeon residents==one teaches lateral releases and the other the TTO for my condition.
So off I go to Steadman.  His MA thought he would be doing a patella interval release and supro lateral release.  I cannot have the microfracture because of my lupus (inflammatory autoimmune disease.)
I am trying to get ready for this by strengthening my quads etc with PT exercises.  They are all exercises for people who have had TKR. 
My left post op knee still hurts like blazes when I do PT or walk.  I don't even know if Steadman will do surgery on the right knee unless the left one is in better shape in 7 weeks.
--I am worried he will turn me down because of the MS and lupus.  One of his fellows is here in MN.  I went to see her and she will not do surgery on me because I am too complicated.  I am used to being turfed because I am complicated.
--I apologize for my newness and not knowing all the board protocol.  I think people only end up here, like me, when things have gone wrong.
--SO ANY ADVICE ON DR. STEADMAN WITH SURGERY?
--HIS MA THINKS I WILL BE ABLE TO LEAVE 3 DAYS POST OP, AND NOT HAVE MUCH PAIN.  TRUE?  I WILL BE IN A LOCKING BRACE IMMOBILIZER FOR 6 WEEKS.  DO YOU THINK THIS IS TRUE?
Any advice?   I am very scared and confused frankly about all the various approaches to my problem.  I feel kicked around in general by the OS I have seen.
Thanks for listening, even if you don't reply.
SarahMN
3/25/09: R Knee: Arthofibrosis (LOA), chrondoplasty, excise plica, anterior interval release.
11/12/08:  L Knee: LR, Chrondoplasty of patella & MFC, Excise Plica, Synovectomy - 2005-2008: 12-16 weeks bi liateral knee injections with steroids. 
---& tried Synvisc, nothing but cost & 9-10 pain.

Offline shespoke

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Hi Sarah,

Have you had your operation yet?  I'd love to respond to all of your questions (assuming you're
still planning on moving forward with surgery in Vail). 
I too have had an anterior interval release and superior lateral release, among other procedures
under Dr. Steadman...

Hope this letter finds you well:)

She Spoke

Offline SarahMN

• Regular Poster
Dear SheSpoke,
Thanks for the note.  I sent you a private message with my email address. 

I have not gone yet, and would love to hear from you.  I leave a week from Saturday, 3/21. 

Cheers, Sarah
3/25/09: R Knee: Arthofibrosis (LOA), chrondoplasty, excise plica, anterior interval release.
11/12/08:  L Knee: LR, Chrondoplasty of patella & MFC, Excise Plica, Synovectomy - 2005-2008: 12-16 weeks bi liateral knee injections with steroids. 
---& tried Synvisc, nothing but cost & 9-10 pain.

Offline xbeentoolongx

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • They sed this wouldnt last, well there wrong!!!!!!
Hey Sarah,

good luck with Steadman, let me know how you make out

-heather
*25 years old
* right scope aug 16-plica removal-sheet
* left scope dec 18-lateral release and plica removal,partial synovectomy,and debridement
 2 cortisone shots
*left scope sept 13-ttt,and lateral release,well see what else? And placed 2 screws

support