Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Unexplained OATs pain after 3 years  (Read 1982 times)

Offline yampy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Unexplained OATs pain after 3 years
« on: February 06, 2009, 07:53:55 PM »
Hi all. Just wondering if anybody can shed some light on an issue I'm currently going through.  I had an OATs must be 3 years ago now.  It was ups and downs after with a few months OK, then a couple of pain, then back to OK etc.  I eventually went back to the orthos and they MRI'd it, but declared that it showed little out of the ordinary: the 2 plugs looked good and hadn't come loose or failed. 

I was surprised given the pain I was in but the surgeon decided to scope it.   I don't think he found much other than some 'scar tissue' he told me later. 

Anyway, this situation is ridiculous. The pain is sharp and stabbing and comes on when I negotiate a turn or change direction quickly. When I get a bad one, it sets off a pain reaction that establishes itself for weeks.  What irritates is that the knee was far less painful with a huge hole in it and who'd have thought that some plugging would cause more pain rather than less. ???

Beats me and now wish I hadn't had it done to be honest.  Really thought that this was high tech 'state of the art' stuff!

Any observations from fellow OATSTERS welcome

Best
Yampy

Offline Shelbylw

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Unexplained OATs pain after 3 years
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 10:04:57 PM »
When was the scope done?  It could be donor site pain, it could be tendon/ligament pain, or it could be scar tissue pain?  Either way if the scope/MRI was done quite awhile ago, you may want to revisit it, if not, I would suggest some good old fashioned PT.

Good luck.

Shelby

Offline JosieS

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 07:23:05 PM »
Had OATS Oct07, it failed.  I also have donor site pain.  simliar pain to yours.  Went to new OS & got MRI done.  It showed the failure.  OK, what now, PKR or allograft, each have pros & cons.  But wait, due to donor site pain and problems I'm staring at TKR.  Will be staring PT for 6 weeks and if still not working shots.  I had a cortisone shot yesterday which has taken some edge off.  This knee was not a problem but only now & then if I lifted too much weight during excersising.  I'm 50y/r.  Did the OS take new xray's & MRI's, perhaps you need another OS.  That's what I did, the original OS said if it continues to hurt where I couldn't handle it than come in for another operation.  That's It!  No xrays, MRI's or explanation. Went to another OS and got more anwers, (saw 3 more OS's).  Without these tests no one can tell you what is the diagnosis.  Get another opinion, your OATS may have failed.
Arthroscopy RK 01/2007
Chondroplasty & Mircrofrac MDC RK 01/2007
Chondroplasty Medial Facet Pat 1/07
Partial lateral menisectomy RK 01/2007
Resection of MP RK 01/2007
Partial synovectomy RK 01/2007
Arthroscopy LK 10/2007
Partial lateral meniscectomy LK 10/2007
biopsy & OATS-(failed) LK 10/07

Offline yampy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 04:27:22 PM »
Thanks Shelby and Josie. I haven't been to this site for a while as nobody seemed to want to answer , but I thought I'd just check, and what do you know!  The donor site is where the cartilage came from right?  If so, no there's no pain there. Only where it was 'put in'.  As I said, the irritating thing is that the MRI looked fine and the scope (done about a year ago) showed very little other than 'scar tissue'.  But as soon as I recovered from the scope I kept feeling the sharp pain on occasion and KNEW that any trimming of the scarring hadn't done the job.

In a way both, I wish the thing had 'failed' and then I'd know where I stand. i can see why so few people have written a comment to this one: good looking operation that technically should be giving good results. Bummer!

Best of luck to you both with your various issues.

Yampy

Offline Shelbylw

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 05:18:42 PM »
Thanks for the update Yampy!

Best of luck to you too, I actually see my surgeon again today.  If ifs still bothering you, maybe its time to book an appointment with the OS again.  It could be time for some more xrays, there may be some more scar tissue built up or you may just  need some more PT.  Either way, hopefully the OS will have some suggestions for you.

Shelby