Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Advice needed  (Read 1527 times)

Offline nolamak

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Advice needed
« on: June 26, 2009, 04:30:07 PM »
Hello!  I just found this board - and sure wish I had read much of it over a year ago!  I find myself in need of a little bit of insight....and was wondering if anyone out there could help me.

I had my carticel grafts implanted on July 8, 2008 for 2 separate patellar (?) lesions on my right knee.

I followed post op protocol to the letter - I was on the CPM machine 8-10 hours a day for weeks and attended PT 3x a week.  I had significant quad atrophy pretty quickly - and my ROM was awful.  By November (4 months post op) - the OS said my scar tissue build up was tremendous.  He scoped it and did a manipulation under anesthesia.  He was able to remove quite a bit of tissue.  He was also able to get a "good" bend during the manip - but not able to get the leg straight...and when he came close with alot of pressure, the leg would "pop back up" as soon as he released it. 

I ended up in PT for 7 months - never able to completely straighten my leg (can't get within 15 degrees) or get good muscle strength back.  I have a very noticable "hitch" in my gait.  I still have alot of soreness - but pain is not really my issue.  I have had several different braces trying to straighten the leg (looks alot like a torture device!) - to no avail.

Now, I am over a year from surgery.  I am a police officer who has been on limited duty for 14 months.  This is getting insane!  My OS wants to try another scope and manip - although is honest that he doesn't think it will do much good.  "Its the only thing I have to try" is what he tells me.  I still have significant swelling - knee is about 2x size of the left....although the OS said that the tissue has simply "thickend" this much - and there isn't much we can do??

Has anyone experienced anything lasting this long?  Is there hope on the horizon that things will improve - or is this my new "normal"?  Does anyone have any suggestions for trying anything else to regain mobility?

I hope that I have explained things properly.  I truly appreciate any advice anyone can offer.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 04:38:52 PM by nolamak »

Offline kevinnjaime

• Regular Poster
Re: Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 06:20:18 PM »
Hey nolamak,

I am also a Police Officer and I had ACI surgery 07/07 and since returned back to full duty but unfortunally I got into a accident with the Police car and I reinjured the same knee.  I didnt have as many problems as you have but my best advise would probably be to see another OS.  Did the orginal injury happen on the job or no?  If it did I know that workmens comp is a pain to deal with.  I know first hand especially since I reinjured the knee.  I have been out since 03/09 and cant return back to work because my town doesn't have light duty.......  I dont know if that is a good thing or not.  Just try to keep a postive outlook and keep working on the knee at the gym and KEEP STRETCHING....... it helped me big time. I hope this info may help.  Good Luck.

Kevin
05-07 Meniscus tear cut out
07-07 Carticel implantation femoral condyle on left knee
03-09 Reinjured same knee during a car accident

Offline nolamak

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 01:47:50 PM »
Kevin,

Thank you for your response, I truly appreciate it.  I am becoming so frustrated with this situation.  I have taken your advice and made an appointment with another OS.  I was considering that route before, and your response confirmed it. 

I am sorry to hear about your wreck.  That stinks - after finally getting back from the surgery.....arrghhh.  My issue wasn't work related, so at least I do not have the added headache of workmen's comp. 

I am grateful to have the option of light duty.  I work for an 800+ officer department, thankfully.  Except, now I am getting pressure from above to either go back to duty or put in for disability retirement.  I tried jogging for the first time the other day - it was awful!  I fell flat on my face ( a tad embarrassing).  My leg completely gave out underneath me.  The irony is that the main reason I had the ACI surgery was so that I COULD run again!  My knee had deteriorated so badly - a couple mile run gave me tremendous pain.  I was hopeful this would turn things around.  Instead, I cannot even walk!

What is your injury this time from the car wreck?  Have they gone in to see if the graft is still intact?  Good luck with that!

sandi

Offline kevinnjaime

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 05:40:14 AM »
Sandi,

I just had a scope today and the OS told me that i damaged the same area of cartilage with the accident and now he is recommending that i get a cadaver graft this time because he is not hopeful for another ACI surgery.  I believe that the recover time is going to be another 4-6 months and i still have my shoulder to look foward to.  I go see the OS on Tuesday for a follow up and I guess i will get more info then. 

Unfortunately I work for a department of 20 so light duty is none existent.  It sucks..........  I talked to my chief today and he is behind me 100% in getting better and returning back to work.

Good luck with your second oppinion.

Kevin
05-07 Meniscus tear cut out
07-07 Carticel implantation femoral condyle on left knee
03-09 Reinjured same knee during a car accident

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 10:39:32 PM »
Sandi,

So sorry to hear of your struggles. Where are you located? There is a well known Dr. in Cincinnati that specializes in  Arthrofibrosis /scar tissue. It would seem that that may be your next step, finding a Dr. that deals with this very difficult problem. I wish you luck and best wishes. Don't give up!!!

peg leg
10/06  Miicrofracture Rt knee on mfc
defect was 1.3x2, small defect under patella
04/07 Arthroscopy/Cell harvest for Carticel
06/28/07 Carticel surgery ,Rt. Knee
12/27/07  Scope to debride Patella lesion,Rt. Knee
4/17/08  Fulkerson AMZ, Rt. Knee
6/25/09 ConforMis BiCompartmental Knee Replacement