Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACI February 19th, 2009  (Read 5310 times)

Offline vowell172

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACI February 19th, 2009
« on: February 03, 2009, 06:59:28 PM »
I just received mys surgery date for my ACI. My operative report from my scope states that the damage to my medial femoral chondyle is extensive. No arthritis but due to an acute injury. So I hope this works. I am a little unsure due to the size of my injury. Wish me luck!

Offline specialk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: ACI February 19th, 2009
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 07:28:00 PM »
Good luck!!  I'm right behind you.  I'm scheduled for March 6th.  My lesion is on the lateral femoral chondyle and is "big" per my OS.

Offline vowell172

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 08:29:07 PM »
Thanks! and good luck to you as well.

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 08:47:44 PM »
Good luck Vowell.  Keep us posted.  Does your ACI include a realignment also?  I feel like I'm just  getting started, and I have no clue at all if this worked for me, but take your time and be patient.  It is a wacky ride.

Take care,
Room 101
February 1 2008 - left knee AMZ/LR/Debridement/ACI biopsy
December 2 2008 - left knee ACI - Patela
May 25 2011 - Left knee mfx - trochlea  (ACI growth looked "pristine"), Right knee ACI biopsy
September 5, 2012 - Right knee AMZ/ACI - patella

Offline vowell172

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 01:27:25 AM »
Room 101,

No I did not need a realignment. He said my legs were very straight. My big question now is will I need to be given blood during my surgery. And if so, how long before the surgery can I donate my own blood to be used? I just don't want to take any chances in that area with the way things are these days.
 I am not sure I am ready for a wacky ride Room 101....but I am definitely tired of the feeling like I am walking on broken glass in my knee. I slipped today at work on the ice and tweaked it a little. Now its really throbbing. Also how long were you in the hospital after the surgery? I have an old pair of crutches and have been practicing getting around the house. Bad part is I am 6'03" and 275. So it wears on my arm pits quickly.

Thanks,

Vowell 172 (Tom, 38)

Offline hopalongjo

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 06:32:43 AM »
Good luck with the surgery vowell. I think it varies how long you stay in hospital depending on where you are and who does the surgery. Here n the UK 3 days seems to be about the norm, but I've seen posts here where people have been discharged the following day. Personally, I don't think I would have managed being home any earlier and I'm PWB. Can you get elbow crutches - it might be easier on the pits  :D

Offline vowell172

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 03:02:31 PM »
Not sure on the elbow crutches. I will definately ask. Thanks for info!

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 05:40:51 PM »
Hi, Vowell.  I had my surgery with Dr. Cole in Chicago, both the AMZ and ACI surgeries.  I was home the same day.  I will say my Mom and hubby were awesome help.  While it is difficult, my pain levels were fine actually, and I only slept on the couch one night and beyond that made it up to bed one flight of stairs.  I stunk at crutches after the AMZ and that was the hardest part.  I put a magazine rack in the bathroom to put my leg on when I went.  I was weight bearing to tolerance after the ACI, so that was much easier I have to say then the 7 weeks of no weight after AMZ.  I did not have to give my own blood prior to surgery, so I can't say on that one.

trust me that while mentally this isn't easy, just take each day one at a time and be able to laugh at the pathetic state you are in sometimes.  I think I have had a pretty "normal" and smooth ride, but I confess my frustration gets the best of me, and like most others, I wonder on occasion if something is wrong.

Make sure someone at the hospital sets your crutches correctly.  After previous surgeries I had the armpit problem, but I had a nurse who knew what she was doing when she set mine up after AMZ.  I had no pit troubles at all, and I was on them the better part of 3 months, most of it non weight bearing.  Worst thing that happened was chapping hands.

Take care,
Kim

May 25 2011 - Left knee mfx - trochlea  (ACI growth looked "pristine"), Right knee ACI biopsy

Offline vowell172

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 07:14:40 PM »
Thanks for the advice Room 101.

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 11:34:15 PM »
Good luck w/ the surgery.  Keep us posted  :)

dileigh

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 11:50:58 PM »
I would definitely get the crutches adjusted, they shouldn't be putting pressure on your pits at all.   I don't think you'll need blood for the surgery, it's not usually needed.

How long you'll stay depends on the surgeon. I stayed 1 night and almost all of the next day, but I passed out the first time they got me up on crutches and wouldn't let me go home until I could do it.

Good luck
Diana

Offline Julie P

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 04:20:19 PM »
Tom,

You will not need blood for this procedure at all unless you have some preexisting condition that makes you anemic to start.  If that's the case you can't donate your own then anyway. 

Some surgeons have you stay overnight and some send you home, just depends on your doc.  Make sure you ask them for a femoral and sciatic block for pain control.  It is a painful procedure but that makes it pain free first few hours.  It will last from from 10-16 hours.  There are many theories about preemptive pain control.  It is called the gate theory.  Basically means that if you are numb and can not feel the incision your nervous system doesn't "learn" how to transmit the pain signals as well.  It has been proven to help prevent chronic pain and problems such as regional pain syndromes. 

Also stock up on groceries that are bland and easy on your stomach.  Saltines, 7up etc.  The pain meds can be brutal on your stomach.  Rearrange your house if necessary so you have a clear path to and from your bed, couch, bathroom.  Make sure the remote, phone, water, meds are all within reaching distance. 

Do you know if you will be partial weight bearing or non weight bearing?

Are they putting you in a CPM and giving you an ice machine?  Is someone going to be staying with you for a few days/weeks after? 

Julie
L hardware removal and scar revision 6/4/9
Left AMZ and medial release 1/8/09
ACI biopsy 11/4/08 and bilateral scopes
12-22-06  L -Microfracture lateral trochlea, LR, and removal of loose bodies
1999-Right knee Loose body removal chondromalacia

Offline vowell172

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 08:39:33 PM »
Julie,

Thanks for the info. I am going to be on a CPM machine for the first few weeks. I will be NWB for the first few weeks as well. I will be alone during the day but family will be home during evening and nights. I am taking vacation days the 3 days prior to my surgery to try and get everything done I can think of that I will not be able to do afterward. I will also be getting my house ready for my stay.

Thanks again,

Tom

Offline Julie P

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 12:16:05 AM »
No problem!  If you have any other questions this is a great site for support.  Also if you need you can always email me.

I needed my husband to stay home with me for the first 3 days.  I was so drugged that I couldn't get to the bathroom or take a shower without help.  Also to get something to drink or eat is hard the first few days too.  That is until you can figure out how to carry things while being on crutches.  Good luck next week!

Julie

Offline Julie P

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 12:17:31 AM »
Forgot to ask, what hospital/surgicenter are you having this done at?

Julie

Offline vowell172

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2009, 03:49:27 PM »
Julie,

My procedure will be done here in Mt. Vernon at the Good Samaritan Hospital. My OS is Dr. Houle.

Offline Julie P

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 03:39:54 PM »
Thought maybe you were in Chicago.  Well good luck!  Let us know how you do.  I just got off my crutches kind of yesterday.  I am down from 2 to 1 and feel like I have the freedom of the world again!

Julie

Offline courtem10

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 05:35:40 PM »
Good luck with your surgery, vowell. Let us know how everything goes!!

Courtney
7/08 Left knee microfracture
12/08 Left knee ACI biopsy
4/09 Left knee ACI/AMZ

Offline momhanaway

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 05:20:39 AM »
Hope all is well and the surgery is a success!

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 05:24:23 PM »
Hope it's all a smooth success today, vowell!

Offline vowell172

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2009, 04:28:11 PM »
Whew!!! Day 4 and I feel a little better today. Was very sore and had a lot of pain the first couple days. Today I am making myself get up and use crutches and move some. I started on the CPM machine the day after my surgery. Not that bad. Kind of feels good. The very first repetition was scary as I thought it would rip my knee apart...but that was only in my head. A lot of pain when I try to move my leg around. I have had someone help lift my heal when I get up or down but today I am able to due it using my crutch as leverage.I had a morphine drip when I woke up and for the first 24 hours or so. Don't know how much it helped as I really didn't feel anything when I pushed the button. I have been loyal to the Vicodin and Tramdol as I feel they help a bit.
 My ACI was on the medial femoral chondyle. The Doc said my site was a little over 40 mm's by a little over 10 mm's. They were able to use some type of patch and did not need to harvest a piece from my shin which he said makes it less painful. I have a meeting today with the physical rehab people to see what my next step will be.
 Hope this helps anyone getting ready. I wil say I am a pretty big and strong guy and I was humbled by how hard this hits you when you try to move on your own. So welcome any help you are offered and plan on some help when you get home. Today is my first day alone but I am doing fine.

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2009, 05:44:25 PM »
Hey, vowell!  Glad to hear your home safe and sound and doing fine.  It is a very humbling feeling, being so helpless at first.  I had the same feelings as you on that first cpm rep, and then I was like, ok... not bad... hmmm, it actually feels good  :D

Take care, and keep us updated!

Kim

Offline courtem10

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2009, 07:17:03 PM »
hey vowell- did you do the procedure in patient or out patient?? glad to hear things went well & your recovery has began!!

courtney
7/08 Left knee microfracture
12/08 Left knee ACI biopsy
4/09 Left knee ACI/AMZ

dileigh

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2009, 11:07:41 PM »
glad you made it out in one piece  ;D.   It will all come back in due time

Diana

Offline vowell172

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2009, 02:37:14 PM »
My procedure was in patient. I stayed about 24 hours. I could have stayed another night but did well getting up and using crutches so they let me go home. I don't see this being an out patient procedure as they had me on a morphine drip and had to show me how to use CPM machine, crutches, and confirm pain management. I don't want to scare anyone but it is more than you think as far as difficulty level. I am very independent but have needed a lot of help at home. And I am a pretty strong guy with no other problems. But when you have a bad leg and have to use both arms for crutches...that doesn't leave room for much else...lol.

Offline shell1mark

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2009, 10:02:56 PM »
Just a suggestion, I just had my surgery last week and I am using a walker beacuse it is easier to get around, You can put a bag on it and actually be able to carry things from one room to the next. I feel like granny but it works and is also more stable than the crutches.

Offline koffeegal

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2009, 12:13:37 AM »
Hi

New to this site and have been avidly reading everything i can about the aci op. i am scheduled to have my surgery on august 4 and am now starting to get nervous and stressed about it. have been on crutches now since feb 22 2008. it was only discovered in sept 08 that all my cartillige had removed itself, over 50% of medial meniscus had to be removed due to severe split straight through the middle and i also have a 'crevice' at the top of my femur and the knee cap does not have a good track anymore! also have arthritis in the same knee.  so i am wondering if this is going to work! but i am relieved that there are other people out there who have had serious and uncommon knee problems - was begining to feel all alone with mine - have been told one too many times that my right knee is very uncommon, interesting , challenging and unique.  what i would give to be considered'normal'!

so, basically i woud like to say thanks to everyone for all their honest posting - it has given some idea of what to expect.  and i would also like to know if anyone has had this done by prof richardson at oswestry??

Thank you!

Offline redlotus

• Regular Poster
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2009, 12:29:43 AM »
Hey, Vowell, glad to hear everything went well!  Hope you're continuing to improve.  I'm a little late to the game, but I second the reccomendation of forearm crutches.  SO much easier to maneuver with!  I had a neck injury when I was a kid that messed up my neck, so underarm crutches were really uncomfortable, but the forearm crutches worked like a dream. 

I had a large defect on my MFC as well - 6 sq cm (or two sq inches to us non-metric folk!) as well as two full-thickness lesions on my patella.  They also did a TTO.  I was on crutches for about 4.5 months and it was a long road.  But it's doable.  Just don't push yourself too hard, focus on one day at a time, and follow your PT.   ;D

Good luck!