Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Is degenerative cartalige and chondromalacia the same thing???????????  (Read 1547 times)

Offline micky007

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi
i am 30yrs old.
I damaged my knee a 5 years ago,i slipped and fell on my knee-cap.there was a fragment of my knee cap and i tore my lcru igaments.I was put in a cast for 2weeks and thats all the treatment i received.My knee was perfect until now.
It has been nearly five years and i have been in pain everyday since.There is a rubbing sensation and is very tender  when pressure is put over knee-cap,kneeling down ....etc.last october i was sent to an orthopedic surgeon and he sent me for x-rays and mri scan.He said the mri came back clear barr from a small sist in the back of my knee.
He then said i should have synvisc for the rubbing bones under my  knee-cap."why did,nt the cartalige damage how up in the scan?????"
I have had the 3injections and still have the pain.
Then my own gp said 3weeks ago i had degenerative cartalige and will get arthritis and will need a knee replacement in the future and today he said i have chrondromalacia!!?
Is there a link between these two??
does these scans show everything???
thanks for your help............
I know myself this was caused by the impact of the fall.

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 96
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: Is degenerative cartalige and chondromalacia the same thing???????????
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 04:19:05 PM »
Here is a link to help you with your research - http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/1086
--
KNEEguru

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 04:52:19 PM »
Hi there,

The damage behind my kneecap did not show on an MRI.  It quite often does not.  It can sometimes be easier to see on an x-ray, but does not alway show there either.  An x-ray can at least show if the space between the kneecap and femur is getting narrower.  Chondromalacia is softening of the cartilage, degenerative cartiage usually has actual damage.  Chondro is usually the start of the other.  It won't burn any bridges to try the synvsic and if it helps, good deal.  You may need something done in the future, but an OS can tell you better what you could do now.

Good luck.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 04:21:12 AM »
Micky,
I'd go back to the ortho doc and let him know that the injections didn't work. Tell him you're still in pain and ask what the next step is. If he doesn't want to offer you any other options, then it's time to go for a second opinion.
Terre
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.