Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Chondral ulcer  (Read 4200 times)

Offline hanjabanja

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Chondral ulcer
« on: January 31, 2009, 01:58:34 PM »
Hello, not sure where else would be appropriate to put this.

I have just had a diagnosis! Apparently I have an ulcer on the femoral condyle (I think he said medial, I haven't got a copy of the report yet), probably caused by the patella nicking of bits of the cartilage during squatting. He's referring me for an artroscopy and I'll either have the repair done then or they might have a look round first and then come back to do the surgery. I'm going to call my physio on Monday to find out what exercises are on and off.

Anyone else had something similar? What were your experiences of waiting times and rehabilitation times? What exercises were you advised to do and not to do? What do they use to repair the cartilage?
19/09/08 injury while squatting
07/11/08 ortho: quad strain
10/11/08 physio: 4 months lmtd imprvmnt
28/01/09 MRI (Lodestone, York)
30/01/09 ortho: chondral ulcer
15/04/09 X-Ray ortho: patellar dislocation, tilt
02/06/09 lateral release

Offline digginit

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Chondral ulcer
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 05:20:06 PM »
So they didn't tell you what they're planning to do?  I guess it was diagnosed with an MRI?  Often they'll do an arthroscopy to look around and see how much damage is there, to clean out any loose bodies, and sometimes shave back a torn meniscus.  Sometimes during an arthroscopy they'll abrade the bone to stimulate fibrocartilage formation.  Otherwise cartilage repair is planned out pretty specifically beforehand.  You'd know what procedure you're having if they were doing either microfracture, ACI, or OATS procedure -- and surely you'd be involved in that decision-making.