Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: hypermobility and ACL tear  (Read 5438 times)

Offline blueberry09

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
hypermobility and ACL tear
« on: January 30, 2009, 09:23:11 PM »
Hi

I have pretty flexible joints, just done a Beighton score on myself and I recon it comes out at about 6/9.  I havn't had any serious joint problems before now, no operations (yet), although my ankles often roll over when walking on uneven ground, and i get sciatica and have a mild spondylolisthesis in my lower spine.

Few weeks ago  I managed to rupture my ACL in a skiing accident, just waiting for the MRI to see if there is other damage too.

I wanted to know whether mild / moderate, benign hypermobility (is this what i have got?) makes any difference to whether I opt for ACL reconstruction.  As my joints are generally rather floppier than most, is this more of a reason to have it done, or are there more complications?  Current plan is to try conservative treatment for a few months and if it is unstable then to operate.

Many thanks
acl tear skiing end of dec 08
mri - complete ACL rupture, tibial contusions, menisci ok, some plc soft-tissue damage.
ACLr 12th June 09 (hamstring graft)

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: hypermobility and ACL tear
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 02:41:09 PM »
I have hypermobility and I had a grade 2 ACL tear in 2006. 

It was a long slow slog... My Orthopedic surgeon didn't want to touch reconstruction with a ten foot pole.  My knees are a bit of a mess already due to hypermobility/alignment issues.  I struggled for 14 months with instability and alot of pain.  I did physio to strengthen the muscles around the knee...

I had surgery after 13 months to look around, clean up bits and pieces... whcih made a big difference.

I'm pretty stable now on that ACL, but like I said it was a grade 2 which is alot of damage but not a total tear. It has it's days...

An ACL reconstruction will never be as good as what your own body has but if you are really unstable, reconstruction I would think would be the best option , since the rest of your connective tissues probably aren't all that tough to hold the knee together.

However, if you haven't had any instabilities (other than your ankles) so far.. you'll probably do just fine with an ACL reconstruction, if that's whats required.

Goodluck.. I know that was a big ramble.. with not much REAL information..
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?