Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: post knee arthroscopy cellulitis  (Read 10548 times)

Offline miss diddi

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
post knee arthroscopy cellulitis
« on: January 30, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »
HELP!  I had a right knee arthroscopy on 1/27. I felt good until the next afternoon when I suddenly could not walk!  I had extreme pain and swelling from my toes to my thigh.  By yesterday morning (post-op day #2) I had a 13x10cm red sunburn appearing area that was very warm to the touch.  I went back to my OS and he drained 70cc of blood from my knee and circled the red area.  He put me on oral Keflex 250mg. qid and told me to go to the ER for admission if the red area increased in size or my temp went above 101 degrees.  My pain seems to be relieved better now with 2 percocet tabs. q4 hours, but my temp went to 100.9 today.  Came down to 99 with 2 percocet and the redness has not increased in size, but has not decreased either.  the swelling remains severe.  Should I be concerned about a DVT and just go to be admitted or should I wait another day?  I am fearful of a pulmonary embolus/DVT/MRSA!  Nurses are bad patients! Please advise>

Offline digginit

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: post knee arthroscopy cellulitis
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 11:26:58 PM »
The wounds from that surgery go into the joint.  What do the incisions look like?  Is the swelling getting worse.  Is pain in the joint getting worse?  You don't want a septic knee.  I'd err on the side of caution here myself.

~dig

Offline miss diddi

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 11:50:37 PM »
the incisions look pretty good. No drainage, sutures intact.  The pain in the joint itself seems to be getting better, but the swelling is getting worse.  I do have additional bruising as compared to yesterday, with alot of tenderness on the medial aspect of the bend of my knee.  That is the area I am concerned with as far as a clot goes. My neighbor is an Infectious Disease physician at the hospital I will be admitted to.  I am going to his house this evening whenever he gets home from work for his opinion.  My leg is so swollen from my foot to thigh!  It is gross!  I am a 45 year old fit female. 5'4" and 128 lbs.  I look ridiculous and scary.  My last temp. was 100. 
Thanks so much for your input! 

Offline miss diddi

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 01:48:11 AM »
The verdict is in. My neighbor (the Infectious Disease doctor) came to my house and took one look at my leg and decided I had to be admitted.  Thankfully, I can wait until the am!  At least I'll get some sleep tonight.  I'll need IV antibiotics, an ultrasound to rule out any clots (he's doubtful), have my knee re-drained for blood and send a culture, etc.  I should be in for 3 or 4 days! :( This really stinks.  I'm taking 2 percocet and going to bed!  Please say a prayer for me.  This site is great :)
Deidre

Offline miss diddi

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 03:12:33 AM »
Well here I am again, frustrated and discouraged.  I was initially admitted to the hospital on Jan. 31st for 4 days. DX: hemathrosis/cellulitis r/o septic joint.  Another 30 cc of bloody fluid aspirated from my knee and a PICC Line placed for IV antibiotics every 6 hours for 3 weeks-not fun.  I developed severe fatique, malaise and generalized body aches.  I had 3 PT sessions that I cried during due to pain and just feeling ill.  I ran a low grade fever throughout my antibiotic therapy.  Cultures were negative, but were drawn after 4 days of antibiotics.  Assumed they were false negative.  I finally had the PICC Line removed and an MRI on 2/20.  It looked worse than the one done as an in-patient and showed that my knee had worsened.  Osteonecrosis and possible osteomyelitis!  I was re-admitted for an irrigation and debridement. OS saw inflammation and scar tissue, but did not see osteomyelitis.  Cultures were negative yet again.  Another PICC LIne was placed and I received Vancomycin every 12 hours and Primaxin IV every 6 hours for 3 more weeks.  The body aches and fatrique continue.  I also have hypersensitivity medially from the knee down and numbness  lateraly in the same area.  My knee pops, snaps and clunks (if that makes sense)  I have seen a hematologist and ruled out any underlying bleeding disorder. (Did I mention I drained over 200cc of blood into a hemovac after my irrigation).  I saw my OS last week and he is still a little concerned about a possible occult infection.  He said I will be out of work for at least another month and may need to generate paperwork for a more permanent disability!  I am a nurse and need to lift and bend at my job.  IMPOSSIBLE!  I am seeing a Dr. from the Rothman Institure on 4/20 for a second opinion.  Any thoughts or suggestions, similar nightmares, etc. would be greatly appreciated!  Miss Diddi

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 04:58:37 PM »
Hi Deidre - I'm sorry you are having such problems.  I really don't have any great advise but may be able to point you to another great practice at one of the large traching hospitals in the city if you are interested?  I can e-mail you the info and a web link to their site if you like.

Best if luck,
Karen
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 11:21:26 PM by KW »
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline miss diddi

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 11:46:23 PM »
Karn, That would be great.  I am a nurse and all of this is so out of character for me.  I am fit and a non-stop person who feels as though I have been robbed of my life.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Deidre
My email is [email protected]

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 12:30:49 AM »
Hi Deidre,  I just emailed you the info.  I hope it helps.  I alos have a great OS and PT in the burbs.  Shoot me back a email if you need more info.  Post how you make out

Best of luck,
Karen
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline miss diddi

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 03:43:40 PM »
The nightmare continues. Final diagnosis. RSD-Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. Has now spread to all 4 extremities. People, please be your own advocate when you KNOW that something is wrong in your body!  This condition has changed my life in a dramatic fashion. We need to increase awareness of this "MONSTER" of a condition. Research on your own and know that early diagnosis and treatment are vital! Unfortunately, my treatments have yet to prove successful and I am now just trying to live my life to the best of my ability. Listen to your body and demand answers when things are not right! :'(

Offline Net-i

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 12:59:04 PM »
Miss Diddi,
I'm new to the site and seeing that your last post was recent, hope that I may be able to offer some (hopefully helpful) advice. You've certainly been suffering for a long time!

In 2009, I had a complete rupture of the right Quadriceps tendon (missed for 5 weeks - but a different story). After 12 weeks in cast, I started with the physio.  All went well for two weeks, then...my leg swelled, was extremely hot and as red as a plucked chicken and the hyper-sensitivity  - a piece of cloth was enough to send me to the ceiling! My PT (absolutely brilliant) was horrified!  She did some checks for the sensitivity and said that I had the first signs of dystophy.  She told me to completely rest for two weeks and absolutely no physio or stress.  She then suggested a treatment (alternative) which may help.  She called it Bindweefsel Massage (Dutch as I was in Holland at the time). I had to look up the English translation, which is Deep Connective Tissue massage. It's to do with 'another' body circulation system (but I'm getting a bit vague on the detail now). Within one/two minutes, my leg had returned to the normal colour. My husband - a true sceptic was there watching and was absolutely stunned at the results, as was I.  She also showed me how/where I could scrub with a loofah (or other scrathy thing) to help myself every day, as it stimulates the circulation.  I only ever needed one more session of that when I returned to the physio a couple of weeks later.  It did slow down my physio progress, as we managed the condition (which is apparently for life) as we would only work until my leg started to change colour then stop, but the time got longer before stopping. She also suggested 1000g of vit C every day, which I duly took.  She told me to tell the surgeon, which I did, but he thought that regaining mobility was more important than managing the dystrophy - as did the surgeon in UK when I returned but had further investigation into the other damage to my knee.  So I think that the medics don't take it on board that seriously - probably because they still do not really know what the cause and treatment is definitively.

I can certainly say that it's worked for me.  I still am careful and at the first sign, stop and use the 'scrub' method as she showed me, and everything is well again.  My PT said that the massage was founded when a lady who could not walk kept scatching a part of her body ended up walking out of the hospital.  It's a little painful, like someone scratching/pinching around the lower back, but the results impressed me and it doesn't go on too long.  It somehow stimulates the circulation in this 'other' body circulation system.

It helped me, and perhaps it may also help you to although yours seems to be much more advanced.