Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: CMP/PFS Check in  (Read 3143 times)

Iona_-Uk

CMP/PFS Check in
« on: April 22, 2003, 10:32:28 PM »
 :P

Seeing as Sylvia has done an arthritis check in maybe we could have a roll call for those of us who have diagnosed with Chrondrmalacia Patella or Patello femoral Syndrome, how did yours start & how long did it take for a diagnosis?

Iona

Iona_-Uk

Re: CMP/PFS Check in
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2003, 10:35:00 PM »
My answers:
Mine started in the middle of the night very suddenly.

It took 2 years to get a diagnosis, fistly being told it was viral complaint, then a muscle strain and then growing pains before finally seeing a childrens orthopaedic dr who was vaguelly familiar with the condition, when writing to my GP the GP stated he had never heard of such a condition.

I hope in years to come CMP will be understood better and managed better for people like us.

Iona x

Offline Emily

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2003, 03:07:59 AM »
Hey
I got my CMP diagnosed the first time I went to the doctor for knee pain... so it was actually a pediatrician who diagnosed it and then 2 orthopedists and one PT have said the same thing. There was never an event or trauma to my knee, so their ebst guess to this point of how I got it in just one knee is from maltracking and malalignment.  I have had it almost a year... and have tried a lot of dsifferent treatments withoout much luck. I had an MRI on 3/20/03 and origionally I heard it looked normal from my orthopedist's assisstant(who is VERY annoying to work with). But today the orthopedist called and said there was fluid under my knee and a ot of carteledge damage under me kneecap. He was SHOCKED to find out that we hadent heard that news before... he thought his assistant called us a month ago and told us the same thing :-/.  So it looks like another trip down to see the Ortho next week!

Hope to hear from other CMP sufferers!

Emily
Right Knee- 10-14-03- LR, TTO, Scope, Plica excision
               4-20-04- Scope, screw removal, scar tissue clean up

Left knee- subluxing, maltracking & malaligned-not ready to start treatmet..

Offline Sharon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2003, 07:49:27 AM »
My CMP started about 5 years ago when I started noticing that my knees were really achy. I didn't say anything to my parents for awhile because I thought that I might have been imagining it. But when it started to bother me on an everyday basis, my mom took me to an OS who diagnosed me with CMP due to mal-tracking. I guess that's one way I'm kind of lucky-we knew what it was from the beginning.

Sharon
Left knee:
LR-5/99 & 9/01
Distal realignment and LR 7/02
TTT revision 6/03
screw removal/MUA 10/03
d/x with severe patella baja
7/05 patellar tendon replacement w/piece of quad tendon
4/07 OATS

Offline ergomaniac

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
    • RehabMatters
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2003, 02:33:53 PM »
I've had patello-femoral problems for more than 12 years started. I have a slight lateral patella tilt but no real maltracking - just worn out through repetitive high load sports activity. CMP diagnosed at first scope in 1992 - it was only grade 2 then and fairly small. I just put up with the discomfort then and changed sports activity when the knee problem got to bad - wish I had revisited it with the OS sooner as last year really flared up. Had second scope in march this year and severe open CMP grade 3/4 diagnosed covering most of the bottom half of my patella. Non waiting for patellar tracking scan and referral for ACI.

Ergo

Offline Kris

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My Wonderful Friend--Hobo RIP
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2003, 05:26:45 AM »
The doctor diagnosed me with it in 2001 and only resently stated that it was caused by a injury to the ankle 2-3 years before.  Long story with that one.  I never had knee problems until late 2000.
Right  LR on 2/8/02,  7/11/03, and 11/5/05
Left leg LR on 5/02, 4/05
Right achilles tendon lengthened on 2/01.   Synvisc injections on 2/17/03. 
Cortisone on 12/03 and 3/04, 12/05. 
Proximal Reallignment Right 5/23/05
R Microfracture 5/19/06
PFJR 6/20/07