Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: when does the body recognize a new acl  (Read 782 times)

Offline chelsea86

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
when does the body recognize a new acl
« on: January 30, 2009, 04:58:48 PM »
HI i had an acl autograft, lateral collateral allograft via archilles tendon and posterolateral corner reconstrucion on the 12 june 2008, i was just wandering what the healing process is within the body for reconstructed ligaments being attached to bone via fixations. How long does it take your body to realise or accept the reconstructed or artificially attached ligaments such as an acl autograft and lcl allograft are active and now working and that they can be relied upon and they are used to take loads. I am asking becuase even 8 months  from my surgery i was recently walking and had an incident of a shift in the reconstructed knee, you know the moment where your heart is in your mouth. It came with a pain on the inside of the knee after the shift happened, but most importantly the leg did not give way but it felt like it was going to, but also felt like it was saved from giving way by something inside my knee. It felt like my body was not aware of the new acl that is inside it that stopped the knee giving way, like it would have done before the surgery. Could this be the case or is the body atuned to changes of its structure by 8 months, so if there has been a reconstructed acl or lcl it would not be able to feel unstable to me, due to the new clinical stability of the repired knee stopping any feeling of instability because the knee is stable.

thanks danny

support