Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Pushing the new ACL/Knee to the limit - Sprinting  (Read 713 times)

Offline xink

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Pushing the new ACL/Knee to the limit - Sprinting
« on: January 28, 2009, 07:18:49 PM »
Hi Guys

I have a bit of a knee query at the moment and was hoping you could give me some advice.
(apologies if this is a bit long-winded but I hope to give a full picture of how things have gone)

I'm currently 16 months Post-Op since my ACL- Revision,  using the Patellar tendon.
So far my rehab has gone well and I have done a mixture of gym work, outdoor running, including hill running and sprinting small distances without any problem.

2 Weeks ago I joined a local sprinting club who train over 400m and the first few hill runs and track sessions with them has gone well.

Last Sunday, I did virtually all-out sprinting over 250 meters on 2 seperate runs as this was part of the session and it is the biggest test my knee has had since surgery.
(To be precise I was running approx 280 meters at a time of 39 secs, twice over)

The following two days I have had mild pain or an ache around the incision site( the site where the new ACL has gone in) when im walking, and im concerned that if I continue training
running at such a fast pace, im likely to cause more damage to my knee:

Im now wondering what the best way forward is:
 - Whether I rest for a week and try again with running team
 - Whether I should postpone training with the running team and concentrate on  more gym work to strengthen by quads and try again with them in the summer.
 - or whether to join a different outdoor running club who will run at a slower pace up and down hills and not on the track

I have given up on football/soccer  to avoid any potential knee damage it may cause and im willing (albeit reluctantly) to stop sprint work if it is for the best.
I'm not sure if reconstructed knees are expected or able to run 100m in 12-13 seconds or whether its normal to get pain over a year past surgery, albeit pushing my knee to its limit

Many Thanks

Michael :-\

support