Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACI recovery concerns.  (Read 1906 times)

Offline vowell172

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACI recovery concerns.
« on: January 28, 2009, 06:41:53 PM »
I am scheduled for my ACI in a couple weeks and have been reading a lot about the procedure on the internet. I have some concerns about my degree of recovery. I am 38 and have been a police officer for 15 years. I have another 15 to do to max out my retirement pension. My doctor seems to avoid speculating on just how close to normal I will be after this is all said and done. I have to be back as close to 100% or I cannot perform my job. I work the streets and foot pursuits and fights are common on a weekly basis. I have a large hole in my cartilage at the end of my femur and it causes me a lot of pain and catching and popping. They scoped my knee and planned on doing the graft procedure but he said the area was much too large. It goes from front to back and he says they can use ACI on the majority of it but some will have to be picked in the back to create scar tissue. My knee is otherwise in very good shape with no arthritis.
I guess I am just wanting to know if in general people are seeing success with this procedure and if there are many limitations on using your knee after you heal.
Thanks in advance for you response.

Offline hopalongjo

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: ACI recovery concerns.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 11:00:37 PM »
I'm now 2 weeks post ACI surgery and having studied (in depth  ;D) most of the ACI stories, the vast majority seem to be successful. I'm sure others will be posting on here with their experiences. 

I think the big thing you have to get your head around is that it's a long rehab. The good news is the first 2 weeks fly by!

The "things you couldn't have done without" or words to that effect thread is well worth a look. I hadn't even thought about needing a rucksack amongst all the other stuff I had thought about.

One more thing....accept all offers of help  8) and good luck with the surgery.

dileigh

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 01:02:19 AM »
I mentioned this in another thread, but I have seen in the past year other police officers and firemen, and even a few military people who have had this procedure and have been able to go back to work.

with minimal searching - I found Kevinnjaime's thread - he is a police officer who has had this as a worker's comp case.

Good luck

Diana

Offline vowell172

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 04:03:53 PM »
Thanks for your replies. I will check on the list of things I may need.

Offline Goju

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
    • The Networkers Nest
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 01:57:16 AM »
Hi Vowell. I am 20 months post op ACI and a police officer. Even though I returned to work, I still have some concerns. I have patella pain, weakness in the leg, and it has recently began to pop and catch again. I am 39 yrs old, so our ages are pretty close. I don't know if you have already had your surgery by now. It was a long road to get back to work for me. Several months of rehab and almost a year post op out of work...this was a workers comp case. I also had 2 post op arthroscopy to clean out overgrowth, and I may need a 3rd. I hope your recovery goes well and I wish you the best of luck.

Offline vowell172

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 01:30:23 PM »
Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I had my ACI on February 19th. I am coming up on week 6. My defect was on the medial femoral chondyle. It was about 11mm wide by 41 mm long. I see you have had a lot of additional work done with additional scopes. My doctor originally told me my running days were done and that being a big guy and carrying all the gear that my tactical team days were done as well. He really won't say if he thinks I will return but just wants to give it time. I have to say I have read a lot of information and a lot of posts on these boards and wonder if my police career is done. A lot of people get better but I don't know about our job. Hard to fight or chase someone if you can't plant one of your legs or if you feel like you have to baby it along. I just have this bad feeling that if I do return I will get into something and destroy it again. So I guess I will just wait and see. But I do agree...this is a looooooong road to recovery. I am ready to smash the crutches. Right now I don't feel bad and feel like I should be walking but they make me stay on the crutches. I almost feel like I am faking it since it's not very painful. But I realize I am just protecting the new cells until they are stable. I wish you the best and thanks for your imput.

support