Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patellar tendon rupture: feeling good after 13 months  (Read 5007 times)

Offline Joshuuaa

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patellar tendon rupture: feeling good after 13 months
« on: January 27, 2009, 11:06:51 PM »
(this older post was after 7 months)

June 24, 08 - complete rupture of patellar tendon on right knee on a rock in water. rushed to hospital
June 28, 08 - surgery to repair tendon, knee immobilised for 3 months
July 2, 08 - most miserable birthday ever
August 11, 08 - physiotherapy began for right knee
Sep 24 - 3 month follow up, wire removed from knee, told to start weight bearing again
Sep 27ish - sprained right angle (same leg as patellar tendon injury), ankle immobilised for 6 weeks
Nov 28th - cast removed from ankle, physiotherapy begun for ankle
Dec 24th - Christmas eve, 6 months from injury. Still on a cane, difficulty walking on winter ice
Jan 16th - discontinued use of cane
Jan 18th - 6 month follow up appointment. Can cease physio for ankle. Continuing physio for knee

Jan 27th - Today: I can finally fully stretch my knee back without pain. My kneecap was lower than it should be for the longest time, but it's 80% of the way to being back in place. The doctor says my knee will continue stretching up until it is relatively close to where it should be (though never perfect). Can do anything short of contact sports, provided I work my way up to the activity (ie: running, dancing, etc). Will eventually be able to do anything I could do before. Still not sure about kneeling, but it doesn't hurt as much as it did a month ago.

I'm doing well and feeling better than I have since the accident! 5 months to go for my 1 year appoiintment. Wish me luck!

Joshua
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 10:28:50 PM by Joshuuaa »

Offline Joshuuaa

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Patellar tendon rupture: the 1-year milestone
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 08:39:45 PM »
Thirteen months post-injury:

Minor imbalances between the two legs in terms of flexibility and strength. My "good leg" (left) is too strong and not flexible enough... been slowly trying to stretch this out, but my left leg still looks like it's on steroids.

My "bad" leg has adequate muscle tone in both quads and calves, and the right amount of flexibility to accompany the strength. Knee position has almost returned to normal. I still occassionally feel pain/mechanical instability mostly when I am going quickly down a flight of stairs (it's like a sensation of my tendon being too short).

On the whole, I've done great considering a year has past. I hit various snags on the road which ultimately delayed my recovery but didn't seem to negatively impact the quality of my recovery.

Advice to others with patellar tendon injuries:

while you are immobile, you need to remember alignment and posturing so as to prevent your whole body from compensating. Completely preventing this is impossible, but you can minimize the damage. What I mean is: when you use one leg more than the other (or even completely) for a while, then your hips start to tighten... then your pelvis rests crooked on your legs, then your spine starts to bend and it takes a LONG time to stand and move symmetrically.

ALSO:

You need not try to do all of the things that you feel you ought to do. Prioritize your recovery over school/work, or you may delay the recovery process. I did a year of full-time university studies with this injury, and found that until I reduced my course load, I was struggling to get anywhere. I was walking too much on crutches, on just one leg... this delayed my recovery. Also, because I was moving too much too early I injured my ankle, complicating the recovery process significantly, in the cold winter. I had to rehab the calves and the quads together... this is considerably harder than just one or the other, so STAY HOME AS MUCH AS YOU CAN FOR 6 MONTHS! TRUST ME!

Having said that, don't completely shut yourself in. The right level of activity will help you get stronger faster, and increasing this threshhold gradually is what should be desired.

Also, evening out the two sides is very difficult, because it's almost counter-intuitive. A year has passed and I still revert to habits of posturing I acquired through this injury.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 08:44:08 PM by Joshuuaa »

support