Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ongoing knee problems  (Read 794 times)

Offline Zilla

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Ongoing knee problems
« on: January 27, 2009, 07:47:11 AM »
I've just registered with knee guru and I'm hoping someone can give me some reassurance as I feel a little anxious!  11 years ago, I had a football injury resulting in a tibial plateau fracture, dent at the bottom of my femur, ruptured PCL and torn ACL.  The A&E missed all of this in spite of the fact that my knee was 5x its normal size, I couldn't move it at all without screaming with pain and couldn't bend it at all.  :'( they said "it's fine, go home and rest a bit!".  They took X-rays but clearly no-one bothered to look at them until a week later when the main consultant phoned me and suggested I come into A&E.  I was walking with a limp by then, which amazed him, thinking I shouldn't be able to walk at all, as he explained the extent of my injuries.  So they didn't do anything at all although as I had persistent pain and lack of movement, I did get an MRI scan.  The consultant said he could fix PCL but persuaded me not to go down that route.  If I'd have known I would get osteoarthritis and persistent pain and swelling, I would have had it done!  So 2 and a half years ago, I went back to a different consultant.  He looked in with an arthroscope and said I had osteoarthritis and after unsuccessful Synvisc injections, suggested a UKR.  I looked it up and found it wasn't suitable where ACL/PCL weren't intact and told him so.  He ignored that and said it would be OK, but while waiting for surgery, he retired and I got a new OS.  he wasn't happy with doing UKR, gave me another arthroscopy, said my ligaments aren't intact so now I need a PCL reconstruction and then a high tibial osteotomy.  Can anyone tell me who to believe, what I have in front of me etc.?  Presumably theyl'll do PCL work first (I find out all in 2 weeks).  How long will I be non-driving and off work?

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Re: Ongoing knee problems
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 08:59:36 AM »
Hi there,

So sorry to hear about your ongoing knee problems. Only if they were addressed properly the first time. Makes me angry when that kind of thing happens. I have had knee problems for a long time but have a great team consisting of a knee surgeon, sports physician and knee physio.

First of all, what country are you in and what part ?

If you are in the UK I know of some good knee surgeons to go to. Also know of a great sports medicine clinic in London.

It is certainly hard to know what to do when you have had so many opinions. Is your current surgeon planning to fix your ACL too. Doing a HTO makes a lot more sense if you are still quite young.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline Zilla

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 09:12:57 AM »
Hi kjwilkin

Yes, I am in the UK, 50 miles from London.  My OS didn't mention ACL, I'll ask him when I see him in a couple of weeks.  I'm still quite young, only 43, so didn't fancy a lifetime of limping and inactivity!  My current OS does seem better than the previous who may have been very experienced, but was a bit of a brute :'(!  When he did my athroscopy, I couldn't bend my knee at all for 5 days or walk fully weight bearing for a while with loads of pain and swelling.  Current OS - no pain, almost no swelling, fully WB immediately and the same procedure :)!  So perhaps he will do the trick! 
What have you had done to your knee?

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 09:41:39 AM »
Hi Zilla,

I have sent you a private message with some names of some top knee surgeons in London. Have also added my  email address and the bottom if you want to send me an email as you won't have the ability to send private messages yet.

It seems obvious to me that if they are going to totally stabilise your knee that they fix your ACL, especially if you lead an active lifestyle which sounds like you do. The new OS sounds a lot better, but definitely no harm in getting one other opinion.

I've had a lot of problems with my knee caps and the last surgery on my left knee fixed it. At the moment I have a problem with the postero lateral corner in my left knee. Still using a hinged brace and on crutches. Seeing my OS next week. Am wondering if I should get my other knee done too, but want to get over my left one totally first.

Let us know how things go.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

support