Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patella fracture - Post op recovery  (Read 1081 times)

Offline TomA87

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patella fracture - Post op recovery
« on: January 23, 2009, 04:05:10 PM »
Hi Guys,

Slight background into how my injury happened before I start asking questions:

I play for a Saturday league football team as a centre back, back in November I took a knock and it turned out that I fractured my left patella horizontally at the bottom of the patella.

I've also been advised that I am lucky that I'm young (21) which will significantly aid my recovery.

I had surgery to wire the patella back together and from what I understand some ligament damage, I honestly don't have too much information as I haven't really been given much information on what exactly went wrong and what was done (had some issues with the NHS and gathering information) The wire was removed 2 months later (20th Jan 09) and they are happy with the results that xray's have shown.

My knee honestly feels great now, but there has been alot of atrophy (which is too be expected) today I've been taken out of cast and I've been fitted with a neoprene brace (open knee with metal hinges at the side to allow me to start moving the knee) I have the brace on for 3 weeks after seeing the consultant today.

My questions being what can I start doing even with this brace on so early after coming out of cast to start strengthening my leg again? I'm doing my best to walk again as normally as I can, which I haven't been able to do.

The doctors at the hospital mentioned that they think I should be able to return to playing football (not this season) but that I can start to train this season to get my fitness and strength back prior to next season.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice for exercise and for care of the knee? or cautionary warnings for the recovery window?

Honestly any advice will be taken on board as I'll openly admit I don't know much at all about what I should be doing to take care of the knee and to assist my recovery.

Cheers
Tom

Offline mairead

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Patella fracture - Post op recovery
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 07:24:02 PM »
I smashed my patella nearly 5 months ago, you are doing a lot better than I am.  I was taken out of my brace after 3 months, and encouraged to start exercising.  I'd had an arthroscopy on my other knee a few years ago and so did know some exercises,  I was then referrred to physiotherapy. 

Ask your OS to  refer you to a physio,  they can help with exercises and strengthening the knee.

Good luck.

Mairead

support