Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACI for Osteochondritis Dissecans  (Read 1570 times)

Offline specialk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACI for Osteochondritis Dissecans
« on: January 21, 2009, 09:00:28 PM »
I was diagnosed with Osteochondritis Dissecans of the lateral femoral condyle (Grade IV) in September 2008.  Since then I had an authroscopic surgery to clean out the loose cartillage, but I still suffer with the "deep bone pain."  My OS said I am a good candidate for ACI, especially since all the supportive structures in my knee are intact (I guess I'm lucky there).  I had my second authroscopic procedure to harvest the cells in December, and I am sceduled to have the ACI in March.

I was just wondering if anyone else here has had an ACI for OCD?  Or if anyone has had any success with any other treatments for OCD?  I have researched and read any and everything I can find regarding OCD and the ACI procedure, but nothing is as valuable as hearing from others who are going through, or went through the same experience.

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: ACI for Osteochondritis Dissecans
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 05:51:33 PM »
Hi,

I had ACI done for OCD.  My surgery was a success.  I will tell you that it is a long and hard recovery but it is worth it.  You have to be dedicated to the rehab and be determined to rehab for a full year or more.  My post op diary gives all the details of my recovery if you want specifics.  I recommend this procedure and found it to be much more successful than when I had microfracture done to treat my OCD.  If you decide to go with ACI, make sure you pick an OS who has done a lot of them.  I am from a big city and discovered that most OS's in my area have only done a couple of them throughout their career.  I recommend finding an OS who has done more than one or two even if that means that you have to travel.....you don't want to be the person that your OS learns how to do the procedure on.   You want one who knows exactly what they are doing.  Good luck to you.   

LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

support