Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee Hardware  (Read 2772 times)

Offline Kim

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Knee Hardware
« on: September 05, 2003, 07:20:31 PM »
Just curious, for those who've had knee hardware:

Who's had it removed and if you've had it removed, did you keep it??

I have my screw that was removed last August, it's kind of fun to gross people out by showing them!  :D

Kim
4/12/02 Proximal Distal Realignment & LR on left knee

ARC

Re: Knee Hardware
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2003, 08:55:54 PM »
Kim:
I had a screw removed this past May from ankle surgery last August, and my 7 year old twin nephews told me I needed to keep it beause they wanted to see it, of course I did, because I will do anything for them.  It is kind of cool to see what is helping your injury.
-Kolleen

Offline missmyknee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 20
  • From the Land of OZ
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2003, 08:57:20 PM »
Hey Kim

I had a 3 in plate removed from my tibia and kept it. I wish I had kept the rod and ankle plate that was removed, that would have been something. I still have a 6 inch plate on the tibia and a screw in the knee.

Pam
4Fx Clsd red
IMrod fib plate
derotate osteotmy tibfib
AF
IPCS patbaja
DeLeeOsteotmy,LOA,LR Zplasty,bongrf,chondrplty
chondrplty,LOA,fatpad remvd
TKR
openLOA,neurectmy,ITB Zplasty,fabela
PLC recon,revison,LOA,synovec
MCL,revison LOA
openLOA,prox Zplasty
openLOA, 6 neuromas excised,synov
3 Fusions

Offline Jennie

• Forum Faithful
  • LoveBug
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2003, 10:54:43 PM »
I had my screws and anchors removed from my TTT, but I didn't get to keep them.

However I had 2 wrists surgeries one to fix it and one to have the hardware removed and I did get to keep that it was a plate and 7 screws

Jennie
21 yrs. old..Right knee injury. Ligament Recon 6-21-01, 2 LR's 3/02 & 9/02
TTT 11/08/02, patella and ligament recon 5/03
Recently dx with OA, Having hardware removed and knee scoped on 6/24/04

Offline khaoskat

• Forum Faithful
  • LK - Partial M & L Menisectomy; Loose Body Removal
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2003, 08:15:28 AM »
I didn't have hardware removed, but I did have a bone chip removed which I kept.

Khaoskat

Offline lizthelounger

• Regular Poster
  • Make time to make music...!
    • This is lizzard - my band
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2003, 01:40:47 AM »
Kim,

thanks so much for starting this thread - I have this strange relationship with my hardware.
Yes, it's out, and it's in the room with me now.

I had two titanium cables (figure eights) removed last november and I spent months wondering if I wanted to keep the stuff or not. I thought it was so macabre!
When I was in post op, I took the nurse aside and asked her if I could keep the cables. She immediately handed me a little plastic jar and said happily 'oh, of course! It's a souvenier!!'
I could've died. A souvenier!!

It's in the cupboard behind me but I haven't looked at it since the operation. I just can't handle it now.

Liz

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'Day from Australia
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2003, 04:11:33 AM »
I have the screw from my first ACL reco (which has been removed and replaced) and now have bone staples and "posts" in, as this graft has also failed maybe one dayif they eventually agree to repair it again I can have the staples and "post" thingy (I think it is some kind of screw) my worst part was when I was having ghte graft replaced I had to have a special set of xrays taken so that the OS knew what kind of screwdriver to bring with him and if it was the wrong one he was going to have to close me up and try again later <eek>.
Sharon
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++

Offline LA2047

• Regular Poster
  • Why is the 3rd watch hand called the second hand?
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2003, 02:02:58 AM »
My OS seems to think the screws he used in my reco can stay there permanently.  Actually, the ones he used in my PCL he says will gradually degrade over time and eventually disappear entirely, being replaced by bone as they go.  The ones he used for the LCL he says are permanent unless they begin causing me problems.  Fingers crossed that they never do - I've heard too many stories about what it's like having them removed or tightened  :o :'(
Complete PCL & LCL rupture, partial MCL rupture, December 2001 (car meets motorcycle - man meets freeway).  LCL reco 3/02 (donor graft), PCL reco 5/02 (donor graft).  Motorcycle, R.I.P.