Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Daughter's TTT, MPFL reconstruction & Lateral release on 1/14/09.  (Read 57034 times)

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: Daughter's TTT, MPFL reconstruction & Lateral release on 1/14/09.
« Reply #315 on: July 07, 2010, 03:22:53 AM »
good news about school, and the other things in her life they sound fun and distracting,   I really think ART can help with her hips not sure what it could do for the knee

Cant wait to hear what the OS says after the doctor appointment update us.

Keep your chin up this is so hard for you, but she had a major surgery then a broken knee cap then screws it hasnt been a full time of just recovery and the injury recently in softball, maybe it just needs more time to heal and get stronger the knee has been constantly recovering from something  Hopefully a year from now she will be pain free.  Fraud ninjas post sounded promising for recovery

talk soon

Offline heidi63

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #316 on: August 04, 2010, 06:27:40 PM »
OS appointment led to MRI which we had last week.  We see the OS again tomorrow for the results of the MRI.  She's very nervous for this visit as she thinks the MRI will show nothing and she will be told "this is as good as you can expect".   ???

If they say that, she will be able to do/try whatever she likes & deal with/through the pain.  She's already told my husband and I that she WILL go back to dancing and working out.   :-\ 

Daughter's History:7/96-LL:broken tibia,disloc KC8/07-LK: arthro surgery-remove part synovium 9/08: RK: severe KC dislocation9/08-1/09: RK: sublexes,maltracking,patello alta,weak collagen1/09: RK: TTT, MPFL,5/09: Fractured right knee cap - immobilizer for 7 wks,continued pain-12/09 hardware removal

Offline heidi63

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #317 on: August 08, 2010, 11:23:41 PM »
OS appointment last Thursday.  The MRI was normal.  The very, very beginnings of arthritis, but nothing that would be causing any pain at this point.   SO, she is headed back to PT for a couple of visits before she leaves for college ... she's cleared to do anything she wants to but she will have to weight the pain & risk vs the activity(ies) she chooses to do.  She is saying she's going back to dancing .. her goal now is to do as much strengthening/working out as she can to get her as prepared as she can be to dance and be back in pre-op shape (particulary with her weight).   another  unknown journey...............
Daughter's History:7/96-LL:broken tibia,disloc KC8/07-LK: arthro surgery-remove part synovium 9/08: RK: severe KC dislocation9/08-1/09: RK: sublexes,maltracking,patello alta,weak collagen1/09: RK: TTT, MPFL,5/09: Fractured right knee cap - immobilizer for 7 wks,continued pain-12/09 hardware removal

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #318 on: August 17, 2010, 05:46:58 PM »
Were you ever able to see an ART person, I take this liquid glucosmine drink for my knees I think it helps it comes in pills but i hate pills. 

Keep me posted on the Dance I know Basketball has done wonders for kate.

Offline adlottis

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #319 on: September 19, 2010, 07:11:28 PM »
Hi Heidi,

I haven't been on here in ages, partially due to the fact that I'm actually doing quite well.  I have been running several times a week and have just completed my first 5 k race and am cautiously optimistic about the possibility of a 10K.   

But what I want to tell you is that I still have times where my knee will hurt and it still annoyes me but I'm able to be quite active and am really pleased with the progress that I have made.  Its been 3 years since my big surgery and I feel like its been one hurdle after another but I'm still making progress, ie strength, balance, and healing. 

Just know that your daughter will continue to progress and get better as time goes on.

Hang in there. 
Annette
1976 first dislocation 10 years old
1980 14 yrs old LR, MR, remove chip bone
1980-2005 numerous dislocations
March 2007 Proximal/distal realignment, chondroplasty
July 2007 MUA
July 2008  synvisc
Sept 2008 patellar tendon tendonitis
June 2009 hardware removal, LR, debriedment

Offline witchy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #320 on: September 21, 2010, 02:04:47 PM »
I just wanted to add my little bit,  I had my lateral release in November 91 and have been problem free ever since, it took me about 6 weeks to recover from it completely .  (i used to heal quickly lol)  I am just now starting to have a few pain problems now and they are debating an arthroscopy. My knee problems started at 14 (1978) and they operated because by 91 it was dislocating up to 27 times a day. I had been taught to put it back in place myself. I was told by physios that i would probably need replacement kneecaps by the time i was 50 so only 3 1/2 years to go but it looks like they are wrong. I would reccomend the surgery to anyone, after so many years of pain and problems its been wonderful to not have them. I hope your daughters op is as succesful and that she is pain free for a very very long time :)

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #321 on: September 21, 2010, 05:11:00 PM »
Great to hear a success story they are so needed on the site reporting back what worked years later!!!

How are things heidi we are full force college APPS thank goodness we did this surgery last year cant imagine doing apps with the knee stuff of last year

december 1 all apps will be out of my house i cant wait

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #322 on: November 26, 2010, 01:04:21 AM »
Happy Thanksgiving!!!!! Enjoying the holiday all are healthy and College Apps are done and is now the waiting game

Hope your daughter is home and doing well!!!!!! 

Thankful for all you help on our Journey wishing you and yours A Blessed and Happy Holiday Season

Happy Holidays  Suzanne

Offline heidi63

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #323 on: November 27, 2010, 03:05:34 PM »
HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!  Wow - haven't been on here in a while!

We are doing well.  My daughter is doing great!  Leg is up to 85% strength and she's doing Zumba twice a week and just started participating in a dance group (albeit carefully!) once a week.  Her PT said to take everything slow and go by what her body tells her, but she says the pain is typical "doing a new thing" pain, not the knee pain she has suffered with for so long!  YAHOO!  She knows the knee will never be 100%, but she's so happy to be where she is!  The weight is still an issue but she's working on that too - hard to eat right when you're a college sophomore!  :P  She's involved in campus clubs and activities and is loving life right now!  She's having the year we had wished for last year as a freshman, but after all the pain, hardware removal surgery (a year ago on Dec 23rd), and rehab .... she is a much better place this year!!!   Hard to believe that the "big surgery" was 2 years ago in January!!!  WOW!  How far we have come............................. ;D

Thanks Annette for the encouraging post!  I am so glad that progress still continues after years after ... she will be happy to hear that! 

Suzanne - my son's college apps are all done and he's gotten accepted into 2 of the colleges so far!  His comment, "Well, I'm definitely to college ..."   :D
Glad your daughter's are done too!  We DID do all the college visits/applications during the injury and major surgery and knee cap fracture!!!  Hard to believe we survived it and managed everything with her in recovery, pain, rehab and on crutches and/or in wheelchair all of her senior year!  Yikes!  Again, how far we have come............. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thanks to everyone for their continued support!!  This website is priceless and I am so thankful to you all!!!![/font]
   8)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 03:08:03 PM by heidi63 »

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 24
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #324 on: November 27, 2010, 05:53:52 PM »
Woo hoo! Loving the positive success story post. I'm so glad your daughter is living the college life like she wants. Glad the knee is holding up and allowing her to dance. Awesome!
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline agresknee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #325 on: November 30, 2010, 12:56:14 AM »
Your Post was AWESOME and I am so happy that life is getting into a normal routine and she can dance and have the college years you wanted for her!!!!!!

Wow 2 years for you but at least now your in a great place.

I had enough stress with college app and knee your my hero I cant even imagine doing it together.

You made my day reading all that good news about your daughter!!!!!! Kate is all good as well we hear from 4 schools the week of December 10th but her number one choice Clemson does not tell you til
Feb 13 so we have a really long wait, but I hope she at least gets good news in two weeks so we know we are going to college..........lol

The is a long project and I came on so quick it seemd but is leaving so slowly kate has lost 3/4 of what she has gained and still making progress I would really like it all of before she goes to college