Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: NEWBIE had arthroscopy in need of LOVIN from others  (Read 138118 times)

Offline midge1uk

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • If you can't walk the walk then stay and talk
Re: NEWBIE having arthroscopy in need of LOVIN from others
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 02:04:53 PM »
Hi Cynthia many thanks for your last response it is great to chat with someone that fully understands, Hubby is good but i hate sounding off about 'stupid knee' too often so tend to keep a lot of the pain to myself especially at night time. I have tried using a pillow but that helped at the beginning but i think i lost more sleep chasing the pillow around the bed. Nothing seems to help when stupid knee decides to play up. its like a naughhty child constantly nagging at you for attention if you get my gist!!! Your first op sounds very similar to what i am expecting to go through although I am a little worried as some of the websites i have visited say that a TKR is the only cure for severe OA. The first thing my OS said to me was your too young for major surgery and I am presuming this is what he meant.  Many thanks also to MKD for getting back it is great to have a response from someone so close out of surgery that rates the procedures as a newbie myself some of the threads can be a little daunting when it seems so many procedures go wrong. I'm on count down now 4 sleeps to go and have my op thurs pm out fri am, I have decided to wear my trainers because with a bit of hocus pocus I'll be jogging out of the hospital friday  ;D  ;) Can only live in hope.

Offline ghost

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • left knee
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 03:57:07 PM »
MKD,

Yes, that is the microfracture proceedure.  Whether or not you can be weight bearing depends on where in the knee the lesion is.  Mine was in the trochlear groove so i was allowed to be weight-bearing from day one, but I've spent 8 weeks in a bledsoe brace locked at 0 degrees of extension and 30 degrees of flex.  If the lesion is on the femoral or tibial condoyle you would not have the brace, but you would be completely non-weight bearing for 6 weeks and then partial w/b for another two weeks.  In either case the recovery is long, but it's the easiest proceedure from a surgical standpoint.  The problem is that under the best of circumstances the proceedure only has a 75 to 80% sucess rate.  When they got into my knee and finished cleaning it up there was no cartilage left so my odds are less than perfect.  However, at the 8 week mark I feel like I'm doing pretty well.

Ghost
rt k med meniscus 1983
rt k lat meniscus 2001
lft k med meniscus 12/07
lft knee medial meniscus 6/08 with chondroplasty & debridement of the suprapatella pouch
lft knee trochlear groove MFX 12/2/08 with chondroplasty and debridement of the suprapatella pouch
7/31/09 trochlear groove resurfacing

Offline Cynthia1982

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 11:11:59 PM »
Hi,

I know how you feel chasing the pillow around the bed, it's not much fun. I'm glad you have someone at home who is understanding, but I know how you feel about not wanting to sound off to often. My fiance is very good and has always been there to listen to me sound off but like yourself i don't like to do it to much. I suppose there is only so much moaning they can listen to.  At least you only have another 4 days to wait until you finally get this problem sorted and then hopefully you'll get a good nights sleep.

Try not to worry about what you've read on other websites about TKR being the only cure for severe OA. Has your OS given you any indication on how bad you OA is. I also have OA in both my knees. After my second surgery on my right knee, my knee felt great. I suppose it would have felt great for longer after the first op if I had done what I was told, but I went back playing football to soon and doing stuff I shouldn't have been soing until my knee was healed properly. I have had pain in my right knee but nothing near as bad as it had been. I find the cold weather plays hell with my knees and this is when I have most of my pain. My knee felt great after the second surgery and the main reason it's causing me trouble now is because of all the pressure i'm putting on it because my left knee is so bad at the minute.
My OS told me to that since i'm only 26 I am far to young for any joint replacement. He said if I look after my knee that the job he has done would give me many years of relief,, so hopefully when you get yours cleaned out and whatever else he has to do done that you will have many years pain free also.

Best of luck for thursday and i'm sure everything will go well. I'm not sure about you jogging out but it won't be long before you'll feel like you are able to go jogging.

Take care
Cynthia xx
2006 Meniscus repair Right Knee
2007 Cartlidge removed nd debriment Right Knee
2008 LR Left Knee

Offline allie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2009, 11:12:09 AM »
Hi midge I had an arthroscopy in may this year.  Just wanted to reassure you about the actual procedure- you will be fine.  I found that the worst part post op was having the staples taken out and a little post op pain but that was easily controlled as the nurses should help you with that.
I found that the most useful things I took into the hospital were some cold drinks, my ipod ( very useful distraction) and some extra pillows and blankets but I was in the hosp for a while, everyone I guess has their own favourite things they would take.

I would say that the most important things to do afterwards are moving and mobilisation and ice and heat regularly, have you prepared ice and heat packs in advance??  I hope that it all goes well for you on Thursday.  GOOD LUCK and BEST WISHES

Allie xx
Pre 1992 Repeated dislocations both knees
1992  bi Lateral Release
2007 dislocation left knee
Dec 07 dislocation right knee
May 08 arthroscopy and MUA
Jun 08  achillies tendon surgery
Jun 09 arthroscopy and MUA
Jul 09 discharged from physio- not working
Jul 09 still on crutches (18/19 months)

Offline midge1uk

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2009, 07:36:45 PM »
Hi Allie many thanks for your 'calming' response, as thursday pm is closing ever near i feel more and more apprenhensive. The op its self doesn't worry me as so far up to date I've had 4 major ops and 3 minor for various bits an d pieces. I think it's the not knowing what pain etc I will be in post op, what will the OS find and what will he do etc etc well meaning friends jokingly retort Oh you may get MRSA or another workmate came up with this reassuring classic 'I have a fear of general anesetic as i may not wake up' its a good job i have a sense of humour or i would be a total wreck by now. thanks for the tips Im taking my mp3 player but only expect to be in over night but have ice packs, heat packs and TENs all lined up plus enough 400mg Ibuprofen to fell a rampaging rhino!!!! so I say bring it on I'm ready!!!! quaking in my boots but nonetheless I'm ready.  8)

Offline Cynthia1982

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 12:22:36 AM »
Just thought I'd post and say the very best of luck for Thursday. I'm sure everything will go great. Try not to worry yourself to much about the pain after the op, the nurses will make sure you are comfortable and as pain free as possible.

Take care,
Cynthia xx
2008 LR Left Knee

Offline ghost

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • left knee
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2009, 07:10:00 AM »
Midge,

just wanted to say good luck on Thursday.  I'm a veteran of 5 arthroscopies and they are not bad and I always had minimal post op pain.

Sounds like you get more post op care than we do in the US.  Here the proceedure is done as an out-patient and you're on your way home within a couple of hours after the surgery.  That works for me, the hospital's always wake you up to ask if you want something to help you sleep.  (LOL).

Keep smiling,  all will be fine and you'll be on the mend shortly.

Ghost
rt k med meniscus 1983
rt k lat meniscus 2001
lft k med meniscus 12/07
lft knee medial meniscus 6/08 with chondroplasty & debridement of the suprapatella pouch
lft knee trochlear groove MFX 12/2/08 with chondroplasty and debridement of the suprapatella pouch

Offline midge1uk

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2009, 08:29:58 PM »
Hi Ghost many thanks for your last post, Usually arthroscopy is day surgery here aswell i think i am only staying in overnight because the op is scheduled for evening approx 7pm. This is our NHS way of driving down the waiting lists that the nhs over here is renowned for. Its called patient choice and this is where you get the option of where you would like to see the intial triage team and if surgery is required then you are giving a choice of hospitals including private hospitals, so far this has been good for me as from start to op has taken 12 weeks or so. I'll keep in touch with how i got on and once again many thanks for the chats yours and cynthias plus others have al been a big help.  :)   :) Midge

Offline Cynthia1982

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 11:46:14 PM »
Good luck tomorrow. I will be thinking about you and will say a prayer for you that all goes well.

Let us know how you get on when you feel up to posting again.

Take Care,
Cynthia xx
2008 LR Left Knee

Offline ikneedu

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2009, 04:41:10 AM »
Hi,
I'm in the same position you are, trying to decide on arthroscopy. Have heard about some alternatives. If I were you I'd get a second and third opinion, see if physical therapy might help.

btw we (many of us anyway) in the US are incredibly jealous of your NHS, no matter how bad it is it's better than nothing which is what many of us have! All the same I know it probably leaves a lot to be desired. I wish you luck.

Offline midge1uk

• Forum Faithful
Re: NEWBIE had arthroscopy in need of LOVIN from others
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2009, 10:53:34 AM »
Hi all  :D as you can see I have renamed this thread as 'had' as I am sitting here post op  :D and manageing quite well with the pain etc. unfortuently things didn't go as I expected  :'( OS trimmed menicus and I presumed this would of involved washing out the joint aswell. But the bad news as he informed me later was that I have serious changes to the thigh side of the knee the tibia side and under the knee cap so much so that it wasn't worth his while doing any surgery to help reduce the need for a TKR and informed me that in the very near future I would be back with them having major surgery  :( WHAT A BUMMER that was not what i expected to hear However he did recommend that i take glucosamine any takes on this would it really help or am i passed helping. A big British thankyou to all that have responded you all have helped me a lot. Your all stars  :-*
 Ikneedu many apologies for moaning about our NHS we watched a programme the other day about the American health system must admit i was shocked to the core I didnt realise how difficult it was for some to get the treatment they so obviously required. I hope things improve soon. Hope i haven't offended anyone  :-[ Midge x

Offline paulst

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2009, 11:05:30 AM »
Hi midge1uk

glad to see your arthroscopy went well,although not so good news from your os after,so did he say you would be having TKR in the near future or some other procedure.
seem's a heck of a leap from arthroscopy to TKR,Im no surgeon ,but surely that must be last resort only.
keep up the ice,rest.

paul
sept 05 lk injury
july 06 arthroscopy lk
sept 07arthroscopy lk
feb 08 acl recon lk
june 08 ttt lk
april 09 mpfl + screw removal lk

Offline allie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2009, 11:08:18 AM »
Hi Midge
I am glad to hear that you are managing well with the post op pain and limitations.  Are you still in hospital?
Very sorry to hear that you are going to have to have another surgery- would it be a TKR.  If  so I have been told here (In Korea) that I may need one this year- have an ortho appointment in 2 weeks in England and will wait for that before deciding anything!  If it is the case maybe I can help you with that too.  Ar you on crutches post surgery?
I assume he has recommended glucosamine for arthritis or bone strength, I have never tried it but I believe it can help and certainly wouldnt do you any harm.
I hope you continue to do well post surgery, take it easy

Allie xx
Pre 1992 Repeated dislocations both knees
1992  bi Lateral Release
2007 dislocation left knee
Dec 07 dislocation right knee
May 08 arthroscopy and MUA
Jun 08  achillies tendon surgery
Jun 09 arthroscopy and MUA
Jul 09 discharged from physio- not working
Jul 09 still on crutches (18/19 months)

Offline midge1uk

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2009, 11:50:58 AM »
Hi paul and allie thanks very much for getting back so quick, this site is fantastic it really helps being in contact with other like minded knee haters!!! a couple questions in your threads need answering so I'll answer them as best I can and in order of posts. Paul all OS said was 'major surgery' the idea of this arthroscopy was to treat OA and other problems with my knee that have been on going for two years or so. I assumed I would get some form of treatment that would put off the need for a TKR till later. I am allowed to remove outer dressing later today this is when i will begin the ice treatment.
Allie I had my rescheadled op yesterday at 1.30 and was discharged at 6.30 yesterday evening I am using crutches but allowed to weight bear up to pain barrier. I am already exercising the knee as far as i can and getting up periodically every half hour to ease movement. I do have serious OA in the knee caused from an injury two years ago so maybe glucosamine will help and as you say wont do any harm. What part of England are you coming too? Midge

Offline ghost

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • left knee
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2009, 05:51:13 PM »
Hi Midge,

Glad to hear you're doing well post op.  I think we can all empathize with the what's next situation.  It seems to be a never ending cycle.  I'm 8 week post mfx and finally got the ok to start pt today.  I've done a ton on my own but after speaking with the os was told that there was a ton of scar tissue and that from the current symptoms its scarring again.  Ice will help you a ton and in a couple of days the body will start re absorbing the fluid and the swelling will go down.

Keep us posted.

Sue
rt k med meniscus 1983
rt k lat meniscus 2001
lft k med meniscus 12/07