Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 1 year post TTT 08/21  (Read 2731 times)

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
1 year post TTT 08/21
« on: August 21, 2003, 01:02:04 AM »
Hiya!

Tomorrow I am 1 year post-op from my TTT. I have been suffering with dislocations for 12 years and after a failed lateral release I finally had a TTT august 21 2002. I was prepared to go through the worst and most painfull days of my life so far, scared to death about what would come, after all it turned out to be a lot less dramatic than I had expected.

My tracking is quite good. I just had a new scan and my OS compared it with the one I had even before I had the LR, and you can see a big difference. It is still slightly subluxed but it can't be corrected any better. I have been having some problems with swelling, I had it drained a few times, fluid was sent for tests, but it all came back negative. It never kept me from working or anything, it was just uncomfortable.

I saw my OS last monday and he suggested a 2nd series of Synvisc, had my 1st injection last monday, so 2 to go. My cartilage is in a really bad way, causing grinding, inflammation and pain. He hopes the synvisc will give me some painfree months, he doesn't want to give me any more cortisone as I had way too many injections in my very short life!

This pain doesn't keep me from being active, I play badminton once a week but I had to cut down the running, I tend to jog again starting next week but only once a week if my knee can take it. Both my OS and the dr from work comp told me to keep playing badminton as long as I could.  And if I quit badminton, you can be sure that I am in MAJOR UNBEARABLE PAIN!! Although, playing last monday after my 1st Synvisc injection was a really bad idea >:(...

All in all I can say the TTT has been a succes! I had no dislocation since surgery and the feeling my kneecap wants to jump out all the time is gone. Pain is a lot better though still present bacause of the cartilage damage. BUT I don't regret having the surgery.

A happy TTT survivor wants to invite you all for a virtual drink!

Helena :D

Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline Riosilia

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: 1 year post TTT 08/21
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2003, 02:21:59 AM »
Helena,
Congratulations!  And thank you for sharing your success story!  

I hope the Synvisc injections work.  If it's any conselation, I had them and they got be by for more than a year (I was having similar problems after my TTT).  

Keep up the badmitton :D  I say we toast that drink to a successfull TTT!

~Riosilia

P.S.-  Do they card in virtual drink drinking?
98- first patelllar dislocation
99- LR + debridment
00- proximal (VMO advancement) + distal (TTT medialization) realignment
03- MPFL repair, lat retinaculum repair, patellar microfracture
09- Patellar osteochondral allograft + MPFL reconstruction
10- ant interval release + partial synovectomy

Offline Jillian24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2003, 09:31:21 PM »
I am so glad to hear that! I am having my TTT next month so I am very anxious. But I am deligted to hear that you are doing good! Keep up the good work and congradulations!!!Jillian
ONE TTT LAST OCT
10 LR'S    ONE MEDIAL RELEASE
STAPH INFECTION.....MANY MONTHS IN HOSPITAL

Offline Jax

• Regular Poster
  • I REALLY hate my knee!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2003, 12:07:28 AM »
Hi Helena,

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm 3 months post-op TTT/LR and hope that in a few more months I will be posting a similar success story to yours!

Hope all continues to go well and the injections help

Big hugs Jax x
Dislocation of R knee 93; Several more 93-95; LR 94; more dislocations/maltracking
Fracture kneecap 96; LR 96; Yet more troubles
TTT and LR May 03. Jul 04 - oh god, the other one has gone wrong now!

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2003, 05:26:07 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

YAY Helena!!!!!!!

This is a wonderful story to share and it is exciting to know that someone who has been through the wars like you have can still have success.  I hope that the synvisc gives you time...didn't anybody tell you that you were supposed to give that knee a rest for 24 hours after the injection, tsk, tsk.  I'm so envious of what you can do that even I cannot be a mother hen and chide you too much.

I am so happy for you and I hope that you realize it has been your effort, attitude, willingness to take a risk and work, and your good choices through the tough post-op days that have gotten you where you are (with a bit of help from a few skilled medical personnel).

You ROCK!!!!! Take care, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2003, 12:45:54 AM »
 ;)Syvia,

didn't anybody tell you that you were supposed to give that knee a rest for 24 hours after the injection, tsk, tsk.

I KNOW, I should've been wiser. But I am stubborn and really wanted to do something. H*ll i had to pay afterwards and besides, I really couldn't play 'cause my knee gave away etc. My OS didn't tell me 'cause he knows I know... (U know?)haha.

Anyway, thanks 2 everyone who gave me support and advice over the years I've been visiting here. I am very thankfull cause U guys have been there also and that's been a big help. I hope the Synvisc gives some painrelief (the relief I need). I am having my 2nd injection on thursday Hurray!

Last week a collegue of mine told me I am not the person who tells everyone that I'm in pain, but U can see @ my attidue if I am in pain or not, I am also cheerfull and happy, but in another way she says, I still laugh and joke but she (and my other collegues agreed) can see when I am suffering :-/. Well, I love 'em, they really care about me, they have given me lots of support, both with my knee and back problems!!!!   Thanks guys. And THANK U KNEEgeek friends!!!!

I hope everyone is fine and big (((((hugs))))) to all of U!!!

Helena ;)

« Last Edit: August 27, 2003, 12:46:33 AM by Helena »
00/06/83 L wrist #
21/08/02 L knee TTT

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2003, 03:15:05 AM »
Hi Helena!!!

I'm mustering up a lot of good wishes and hugs for you and your second injection.  For some reason, most people seem to find it to be the most difficult of the three.  I truly pray that you are one who has the positive benefits from them.

As for knowinbg what you are supposed to do and then doing it, I'm as guilty as they come on that topic, so I'll not give you any more harassment over that.  I just couldn't resist saying to somebody the kind of thing I hear all of the time.

Anyway, congratulations on all of your success and keep it up.  I want to play follow the leader and you can lead the way.

Hugs, Sylvia

Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2003, 11:42:48 PM »
I went for my 2nd injection this afternoon and I didn't do anything active afterwards. Although... I went for a drink with a friend of mine and when we wanted to return home it rained for the first time in... say 3 months! Well, I had 2 umbrellas (sp?) BUT they were both in my car ::) :P and it was raining cats and dogs (hehe) so I did a bit of a run... (well call it some kind of running, more limping I guess ;)).  My knee is not sore in any way, just numb on the outside (find that rare as it is more numb after an injection than otherwise) and there's a little bit of swelling.

Ooh yeah, I am going back to school starting sept 9th ;), I am going to follow a course in nursing management... I am kind of excited to go back, meet some new people, get a bit more... intelligence ::)... Whooooooooh... I just hate the thoughts of having to study for exams again but i know I can do it (I have to!!!!)

See y'all later, I'll let you know how the 3rd Synvisc injection goes.

Thanks for the good wishes, hughs, vibes etc... ;)

Helena
« Last Edit: August 28, 2003, 11:44:36 PM by Helena »
00/06/83 L wrist #
21/08/02 L knee TTT

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2003, 02:32:56 AM »
Helena,

Did your doc give you something to numb it up before the synvisc?  I had injections from two different docs and one did that--maybe that is why you are numb.

I hope tiu goes well--and I'm truly glad that yoiu didn't slip and fall while running in the rain.

Hugs, Sylvia  
Both kneesOA.
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
R TKR revisio

support