Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 13 days post-op  (Read 1897 times)

Offline blusky_1

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
    • My Webshots Albums
13 days post-op
« on: August 20, 2003, 05:14:24 PM »
I'm kind of curious about the lack of sensation around one of my insicions. I have full feeling around the innermost, about 90% around the middle one, and only about 10% around the outer one. Plus, if I lay on my stomach in bed, it feels as if there's something bound around the bottom of the kneecap. I'm still having to take darvocet at night for the pain, trying not to take anything during the day. Still hobbling around, which isn't so great since I started a new job on Monday and only my supervisors know that I had surgery. I still don't have much "faith" in my knee. I baby it on stairs (I live on the 3rd floor, no elevator) and such. I thought I'd put on my brace for psychological support if nothing else, but my calf is too swollen to pull it on. My doc said I didn't need it anyway, and I explained that it was just an idea to regain confidence, as it still feels unstable to me. Not sure what else I can do. Need to call a local PT office and see what they charge for a session or two and if they could show me what to do at the gym. My insurance has maxed out for the year and I live paycheck to paycheck as it is. May even end up having to file bankruptcy at this point.  :(
Arthroscopy 8/8/03 - partial meniscectomy (x2), chondroplasty, lateral release (failed). 1/04 - dx with "miserable alignment". 11/04 - dx patella baja.

Offline abaddon_bast

• Regular Poster
  • Disce quasi semper victurus; vive quasi cras morit
Re: 13 days post-op
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2003, 06:39:00 PM »
teh numb ness around you insision is just where they cut a nearve you may regain feeling in it or you may not, as with the momeny probel good luck with it
Dislocated Right knee 2/28/03
Dislocated Right Knee 7/3/03
VMO adv. and LR w/scope on right knee on 7/21/03
Started PT on 7/30/03
Current ROM 130 as of 9/23/03
Curently in PT an doing good

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2003, 03:31:40 AM »
The numbness is interesting, isn't it? You can definitely tell the path the nerves take (medial to lateral). My numbness eventually went away, but I don't remember how long it took.

It would probably be well worth your (limited) money to get a session or two with a physical therapist. That way you'd know what was safe for you to do now, and how fast to accelerate as you heal.

Good luck at your job!

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline lam651

• Forum Faithful
  • Someday
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2003, 06:34:01 PM »
I have had numbness on an area of my leg where an incision was made for a HTO almost 2 years ago. I don't know if I will ever get feeling back there. It doesn't bother me though, I'm just hoping someday I can walk again without pain. Good luck with everything. Larry
arthoscopy('99),HTO(tibia didn't heal 10/01),knee braces(7/02),HTO w/ex.fix. to repair tibial non-union(3/03), remove ex. fix.(9/03),HTO other leg(12/03)

Offline Jillian24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2003, 09:16:05 PM »
It is a very weird feeling. I had my first surgery about 9 years ago and dtill have no feeling around my incision. The majority came back over time but I still have to very careful when I shave. Good luck~ Oh and I had the same feeling when I layed on my stomach as well. But it will get better....Jillian
ONE TTT LAST OCT
10 LR'S    ONE MEDIAL RELEASE
STAPH INFECTION.....MANY MONTHS IN HOSPITAL

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2003, 05:36:25 PM »
HI!

You have a mixed bag of things to address.  The financial and insurance issues are real life and tough--are you eligible for any kind of assistance?  I'm thinking that pt is a very important part of your recovery--but if you have to give up stuff like eating or electricity for it, it won't seem too fair...

My os told me that I would have numbness for up to a year after my tkr surgery--and he was right with my left knee.  It was creepy and numb, especially right after the surgery and uo to the time I returned to work.  I realized last week that it was no longer numb there and I do not know when or how that happened.

You can certainly do quad sets and strengthen those very important muscles as you sort out these other issues.

Good luck and get better and better with each passing day, 2 weeks post-op is so early to tell anything!  Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

support