Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Room 101's December 2, 2008 ACI (**January 31, 2011 update**)  (Read 32304 times)

Offline Melissa S

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Room 101's December 2, 2008 ACI (**January 31, 2011 update**)
« Reply #180 on: February 01, 2011, 04:17:34 PM »
Room 101,
Thanks for the update.  It is always good to hear about patella ACI success stories.  I had mine done on Nov 8th, so I am 12 weeks out yesterday.  So far so good, but it is nerve wracking wondering if your graft will take and grow.  Good to hear that yours did and that your knee is feeling so good.
Sorry to hear about the wrist injury though, ouch!

Melissa
Injury with knee hitting concrete 7/07, partially torn ACL, and cartilage damage
Scope and debridement 2/08
2nd scope 1/10 with carticel biopsy
Carticel implant surgery on 11/8/10

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #181 on: February 01, 2011, 05:07:48 PM »
Hi, Melissa.  Glad all is well so far for you.  It's very nerve wracking.  I had so little function beforehand that I am extremely grateful for where I am now.  I had always wanted to get back to competitive sport, but you know ... I think after going thru all of this I am pretty dang happy and I can do so much... but honestly there isn't an activity I do that I don't think about what's been invested financially and time-wise, hahaha.  I pretty uch keep my activity pain free.  Sometimes after the fact I'll get sore, but as long as it sticks to a day I don't worry much.

Are you off crutches and all?  Who is your OS?  I'll look for a diary so you don't have to repeat it all.  Work is eerily quiet today with the coming storms :) 

Take care,
Kim

PS - The wrist injury does suck. It has honestly completely taken everything out of me.... more than the knee surgery ever did.  I would choose the knee surgeries again and again over this wrist injury.  And that is really really sick....
February 1 2008 - left knee AMZ/LR/Debridement/ACI biopsy
December 2 2008 - left knee ACI - Patela
May 25 2011 - Left knee mfx - trochlea  (ACI growth looked "pristine"), Right knee ACI biopsy
September 5, 2012 - Right knee AMZ/ACI - patella

cdubb

« Reply #182 on: February 01, 2011, 09:06:42 PM »
Room 101, thanks for the PM earlier and you were spot on!  I sent you a reply back! Now reading this, I also see that we do have the same surgeon.  Work let us out early today and we're closed tomorrow due to snowmageddon, snowpocolypse or whatever your favorite term is!  Very glad to hear how well you're doing!  It's good to see the light at the end of the tunnel being only 3 months out myself (and doing well).  Just gotta figure out when to do that other knee of mine....maybe we can get our other knees done together and rehab together!!

Offline Melissa S

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #183 on: February 01, 2011, 11:29:25 PM »
That is great Room 101, I am 3 months out now and still feeling every step I take.  I am looking forward to the day that I don't think about my knee so much and just praying that that day will come.  I am off crutches officially as of this week.  I have been down to 1 for a while and been walking around the house without one for a couple of weeks.  My diary is in the <100 posts, and titled My patella ACI surgery on Nov. 8th or something like that, ha.
Glad to hear your knee sugery was positive and hoping your wrist heals too!
Injury with knee hitting concrete 7/07, partially torn ACL, and cartilage damage
Scope and debridement 2/08
2nd scope 1/10 with carticel biopsy
Carticel implant surgery on 11/8/10

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #184 on: February 01, 2011, 11:36:15 PM »
Hey cdubb!  It's great to talk to ya :)  I think rehabbing with a partner on the other knee is a good idea, haha.  It would certainly be much more entertaining!!  IO'm still in avoidance there :)  -- oh, and I am thrilled that we get to drive home in this weather disaster soon... our company is open for business tomorrow, so that should make for a fantastic drive to and from the office.  Perhaps all these weather folks are wrong!! 

Melissa, I have started reading your diary.  Customers started calling, so it was short lived... I'm glad things are progressing for you.  The day you quit thinking about your knee every minute comes and goes without realizing it, haha... I just suddenly found myself running up & down stairs like a kid again :)

All hail Huskies!!

Room 101
May 25 2011 - Left knee mfx - trochlea  (ACI growth looked "pristine"), Right knee ACI biopsy

cdubb

« Reply #185 on: February 01, 2011, 11:55:30 PM »
I'm only 3 months out....and Dr. Cole said he wouldn't consider even doing the other one for 6 months post op.  Work wise and financially, I'd ideally like to wait a year...plus I then get a better read on the success of this left knee before I undertake the right.  Feeling quite positive so far though! Even did 4 inch box step ups at PT yesterday!  I took 4 weeks off of work for the left, but worked from home for a week and a half before physically returning to the office. I do not want to be that employee whose always off on a disability claim...especially since I work in insurance and workers' comp to be more precise and we joke about repeat offenders.  Granted, this is not WC and is disability, but still....

Sucks your office is open...maybe they'll reassess that plan??? I'm still expected to be available via e-mail and technically working, but with my husband and son home, not sure how much I'll actually get done.

Huck'em Fuskies was always my favorite!

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #186 on: February 02, 2011, 07:27:37 PM »
So, the weather people weren't entirely wrong, haha.  Drifts as high as 5 feet and most of our drive was 3-3 1/2 foot drifts.  We are cleaned out and officially at work!! 

Cdubb, wow, I couldn't imagine doing another knee after 6 months... financially or just the process of going through all of it again so soon.  I am definitely enjoying my time being active again.  I was really lucky because my hubby works at the same company so I had a driver.  We brought a big comfy ottoman from home with pillows and I kept elevated and iced.  I couldn't have done it without him... but I was back at work very fast.

Huck'em Fuskies rules!!

Did you guys carry on the "inka dinka whole potato half past an alligator..." chant pre-game?  It got lost somewhere down the line I think, but we were hazed pretty good until we learned it, hahaha.

cdubb

« Reply #187 on: February 02, 2011, 08:32:54 PM »
Yes, we carried on with inka's all through my 4 years and the 2 years I coached the girls still did it.  I don't recall it all now, but I bet if I had enough drinks in me and enough prior Huskies with me, I think we could all remember and get a little rowdy! Maybe we'll need to work on that in April!   Too bad you can't make it!  And hazing....there was no hazing going on....  I believe with the new coach all prior traditions have been lost...I think she's too busy worrying if their toenails are painted.

Good for you for getting back to work quick.  I did not have a driver, so that alone was a challenge. I couldn't fit in my car until I was unlocked to 60 degrees.  I'm 5'11" with long legs, so until I got to 60, I had to just ride in the middle part of our van with legs extended on the seat. 

I will not be doing my knee 6 months after the other one. That would mean that insurance approvals would need to start getting in place now and Dr. Cole is always 6 weeks out scheduling, plus the process of growing the cells.  Although, I could ask for Denovo NT next time, so no cell growth needed then.  It's a tough call though. If  I wait a year, then I'd be getting it done right when my left would allow me more activity.  It would be 2-2 1/2 years total of limited activity with no break.  Getting it done at 6 months, at least they'd recover somewhat closer?  I can already tell my right is not happy with me.  I did the 4 inch box steps up easier witih my left op leg than my right leg.   The right bothers me more with the mini squats I am permitted also.  If time off work and $$ weren't an issue, ideally, I'd just get it done over the summer. 

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #188 on: February 02, 2011, 11:22:48 PM »
I cannot remember it all either, ad when I say hazing, I mean that in the most loving way. All just a lot of fun that the coaches were part of most of the time... in fact we hosted a reunion in December and a few mates decided to rearrange the clothes closet and my workout room. The funny part was I didn't notice right away and it finally bugged me enough that I reorganized the closet just last weekend, haha.  Humor.  I miss those days!!!

I have absolutely no idea what is in store for my other knee.  I know after the first knee and the broken wrist that I need some time.  I hope that the other knee holds up enough to grant me that time.  It went out on me last night pretty badly just walking across the kitchen... oh, the joys of bogus joints, right?

cdubb

« Reply #189 on: February 03, 2011, 01:45:54 AM »
We did a swimming work out once at Anderson pool and while we were all in the pool, Donna and the other coaches switched up everyone's keys.  So, we're all heading to our cars in the field house parking lot and realizing our car keys aren't working.  Try figuring out who had the right car, apartment and door keys was a nightmare....the coaches thought it was hilarious!

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #190 on: February 03, 2011, 05:22:16 PM »
Yep.  They did the exact same thing to us!!! 

cdubb

« Reply #191 on: February 03, 2011, 11:51:04 PM »
Some of us that had gotten together to watch the NIU bowl game this year said we should all get together and drive out and TP D&D's house on Halloween.  Did that tradition begin while you were there or was it newer?

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #192 on: February 04, 2011, 05:20:32 PM »
Glad that tradition still exists!!  TP of D&D was a tradition before I got there.  We excelled at it!  Their current place is better ... more trees :)