Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Room 101's December 2, 2008 ACI (**January 31, 2011 update**)  (Read 32336 times)

Offline hopalongjo

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Room 101's December 2, 2008 ACI (Feb. 16 update)
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2009, 10:59:56 PM »
Sounds like you're doing really well! What do you mean you wouldn't want rehab to be exciting....getting out to physio is the one thing I look forward to with excitement each week...change of scenery and all that  ;D

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • 2+2=5
Re: Room 101's December 2, 2008 ACI (Feb. 16 update)
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2009, 06:43:04 PM »
Oh, don't get me wrong, I look very forward to PT and training every week  :D  -- The exercises are still so limited in PT because I am still in phase 1 for a while longer... and by excitement I mean problems.  I am happy to be accomplishing phase 1 and seemingly "normal" at least in my rehab.

I seem to be very slow in things like terminal extensions and flexion, but I see dramatic improvement in other areas like quad strength and walking and hip strength and stability, so I am thrilled to be there doing the same things each day  ;D

I love to ride the bike with no resistance and I love doing all ROM leg lifts.  I really enjoyed taking a walk outside.  We're due for some more snow, so I am glad I got to enjoy a couple of outside walks for now.

Take care,
Kim
February 1 2008 - left knee AMZ/LR/Debridement/ACI biopsy
December 2 2008 - left knee ACI - Patela
May 25 2011 - Left knee mfx - trochlea  (ACI growth looked "pristine"), Right knee ACI biopsy
September 5, 2012 - Right knee AMZ/ACI - patella

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
Re: Room 101's December 2, 2008 ACI (Feb. 20 update)
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2009, 10:36:08 PM »
11 weeks and 3 days post op... but who's counting  :P

Therapy was good last night even though I was sore and more stiff than usual.  I think I overdid the bike on Wednesday.... 30 minutes. We worked really hard on Monday in therapy also, and I think i was still sore from that which means I overworked the knee.  We have been adding some new drills which usually make me sore at first also.  Last night we went a little easy.  A lot of massage and IT band work.  I wasn't able to do a couple of drills that we had done multiple times before.  I guess that's the normal fluctuations with this surgery though.  I don't feel like anything is broken.  I am just sore.   I dropped from 125 to 121 in flexion.  We did hit 125 by the end, but it hurt more than Monday. 

As for the rehab exercises currently being done, I am doing 4" step ups with ease (not down but up only). We worked mostly on balance and hip & quad strength so some bosu balancing, mini wall squats (30 degrees or so), walking on toes and walking on heels, the usual 4 direction leg lifts, balancing on airex pad while playing catch, walking backwards on the treadmill (I think this made me really sore).  I feel good walking and can walk significant distance without pain, although today I have taken it easy because I am so stiff.  I was frustrated as I missed both my personal trainer workouts this week... one because a crown popped off my tooth and I ended up in the dentist chair and the other because we had potential clients come in for a meeting that lasted longer than anticipated.  At least it was a good meeting and might bring in some new work...

Maybe I'll be smart and only ride 10 minutes on the bike tonight  :)

I am bummed because we're due 6-9 inches of snow tonight & tomorrow.  I was enjoying walking outside, but I guess that will end the fresh air exercise for a bit  :'(

Have a great weekend!
Room 101
May 25 2011 - Left knee mfx - trochlea  (ACI growth looked "pristine"), Right knee ACI biopsy

Offline momhanaway

• Regular Poster
Re: Room 101's December 2, 2008 ACI (Feb. 20 update)
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2009, 03:27:54 AM »
Step ups at 11 weeks. That sounds great! 

You are doing awesome! 

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
Re: Room 101's December 2, 2008 ACI (12 week update)
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2009, 05:39:28 PM »
12 weeks tomorrow.  PT was good today, but I am still stuck on flexion... 120 with no "help" and 125 with "help".  It seems to be staying the same.  I can tell I'm really stiff, but it weirdly doesn't hurt.. just won't go any farther.  I am also still limited in extension... not straightening my leg as i measuring extension... in that realm I can go hyper just fine, but sitting on the table going from bent to straight extension.  That hurts some at this point behind the knee, although it is maybe a little better.  Sometimes I think it's me making it better because I want it better  ::) - I go back to the dr. on March 5.  I have to admit I am a tad freaked out over the lack of improvement regarding flexion.

Everything else seems to be progressing.  Pain is always our guide at PT or my workouts.  We added 3 lbs. to straight leg raises today... I couldn't even do one on my own a month ago.  We started some very light lateral walking, progressed the step ups to a little higher, did more backward walking on the treadmill, ball/wall squats to 45 degrees.  Lots of isometric holding patterns to increase strength.  I can walk quite a ways without pain or swelling which I could not do prior to surgery, so that's a major positive.

This weekend we worked around the house, organizing and moving boxes around (we moved to a new house right before surgery).  I know I did too much, but it felt pretty good until the end.  I quit when I hit the knee limit (well, just past it I am sure).  Even this morning I had no pain, only stiffness.  I didn't carry anything up or down stairs (that's just not worth even thinking about), nor did I carry anything heavy, but I did many trips back & forth from closet to storage room... mopped all the floors in the house (like a janitor, not Cinderella).  I finished off the working with a workout and 15 minutes on the bike.... and then the couch and an ice bag or 3.  It felt good for the soul as much as anything.  I felt like I really had joined daily life again, and that's nice  :)

It did snow quite a lot, though not nearly as much as predicted... but it was enough to keep me housebound.  All the working made the weekend go quickly though. 

Have a great week,
Room 101

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
Re: Room 101's December 2, 2008 ACI (Feb. 27 update)
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2009, 04:02:42 PM »
TGIF.  It's been a long week of work.  The knee is doing pretty good.  I am still sitting at 125 ROM, and I have been really stiff, but I seem to be walking really, really good.  Last night my PT told me if I walked in to a clinic for the first time, they wouldn't be able to tell what was injured... my stride and gait are very even.  No limping at all.  Once I take a couple steps after sitting, I definitely feel like I can walk really well and for quite a long time.  I feel really good walking.  Already more comfortable than before surgery.  Not other things, but walking for sure, which makes me happy at this point.  The kneecap moves easily in all directions, so that's a good sign also, I think.

We added some volume last night, increasing the amount we do but not changing exercises.  We're really trying hard to gently push the ROM, but not to the screaming painful point... just to moderate discomfort.    We did isometric quads and SLRs until i could lift the leg anymore.  Worked on some modified extensions, straightening the leg from bent.  I really struggle with that movement.  My kneecap just feels full, if that makes sense.  I don't know how to describe it  ???

We did 8" step ups easily, balancing w/ surgical leg behind "good" leg on a 1/2 foam roller while shaking a body blade.  All I know from that is I can't wait to get into better shape  because too much was shaking :P.  Slow lateral walks with careful pivot, backwards walking on the treadmill, balancing on airex pad, etc.  Not real exciting, but real exciting at the same time  :D

We definitely pushed the limits, and I am very sore today.  It's mostly muscular, so we''l see what tomorrow brings and if we did too much.  I work out with my trainer during lunch today, so tomorrow will be an off day, although we have to go finish moving out of the old house... my job is cleaning toilets and sinks.  Yippee.  Now, we just need to sell it.  Right.

I also think I need to back off on the bike.  I feel like I overdo it and get too stiff, so I'll back my time down from 30 minutes to 20 and see what happens.  Also I didn't think I was really doing any resistance, just enough to stop the out of control pedaling, but perhaps I'll back that down a notch as well.

I have to keep telling myself to slow down.  I can definitely be too aggressive.   That's the hard part for me.  To be calm and not get over excited  :)

Room 101

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2009, 08:47:30 PM »
[email protected]#$$&%# - only 112 degrees flexion today at my workout.  No pain at all.  Just stiff.  Clearly I am being overzealous on the workouts  >:(

Live and learn as they say... it just feels so nice to do stuff!

jonhark

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2009, 08:53:54 PM »
Sounds like you've made great progress....

It is a nice feeling to be able to do "too much".

Being able to walk normally again is a big relief....

As long as you avoid catching sensation and sharp pain you should be fine.

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2009, 09:15:26 PM »
Thanks, Jon... it's amazing what a confidence game this can cause  :P -- I appreciate the reply!

dileigh

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2009, 11:30:15 PM »
Yeah, it is hard not to overdo it when you finally start going good on the exercising.   You're doing just as much if not more than I was at this point, so keep up the good work  ;D

Diana

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
Re: Room 101's December 2, 2008 ACI (March 2, 2009 update)
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2009, 06:10:43 PM »
So this was a crazy weekend.  We moved 10 days before I had the surgery, and of course we are 2 folks who can't sell the house they moved out of now... so we were slackers in getting stuff out of the old house.  Well, I was couchbound post-op, and let's just say I am the motivator in the family.  I get the ball rolling so to speak... once the ball is rolling it's great.  Bottom line is we still had things to move out of the old house.  Saturday was spent moving the remaining items.  I was cleaning and vacuuming and doing the odds & ends.  It was a long day, but we are now officially finished as far as having items in the house to move  ;D

Sunday was to be the day to organize the new house with all the items we just brought from the old house.  I got out of bed, threw on sweats and went to the laundry.  Oh, wait, I need hangers.  Back to the bedroom which has a great wood floor... except it was apparently slippery.  I don't even know what happened.  I wish it was glamorous or at least entertaining... as I was thinking on the way to the laundry how nice it was to wake up and not be so stiff in the morning... that I could actually walk like a human almost immediately upon coming back to get hangers my foot hits the floor and I skate across it on my bad leg, run into the dog's  bed hear some gross popping and fall over.  After the pain sweats subsided, I got up and I think the knee is fine.  I was able to walk, but I could tell it was swelling.  But it didn't hurt too badly...  :'(

I went downstairs (after getting the hangers and doing the laundry thing) and iced and elevated.  The rub is that when I get motivated I am hard to stop... and I am so over sitting around all day  :P - So, I worked it out that I would stay downstairs and my spouse would bring the boxes to me and I would organize them.  Then, we organized the garage.  Once I sat down, I became extremely stiff and sore... but again, I am sure I didn't bust the graft or anything.  Just a minor setback.  I did manage my 15 minutes on the bike last night, although it didn't feel nearly as loose & flexible as it was before the hardwood skating incident.

I had PT today and he confirmed that all the ligaments are fine.  I was at 125 flexion last Monday.  120 on Thursday and 112 on Friday.  Today was 110 when we started, and we were able to get back to 120, but I clearly didn't do my knee any favors with being a klutz  ::)  - I had more pain today doing exercises, so we backed off to a lot more massage and "nice" exercises.  I still worked up a good sweat and got very tired quads, so hopefully this step back will result in a nice step forward.

I have a Dr. Cole appointment on Thursday.

I figure I should look at the bright side of this and perhaps I burst through some scar tissue and when the swelling subsides, I'll have full ROM back  :D

Have a good week!
Room 101

Offline hopalongjo

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2009, 10:44:39 PM »
At least you've been told it's ok from the physio - now put your feet up!

I wonder if there are shoes you can buy with suckers on the soles  ;D

From a fellow klutz :-*

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2009, 11:37:59 PM »
I am honestly mostly ticked about being such a klutz  >:( - I have been so careful, and every time I get up today and I'm back to the stupid limping, it's just more irritating.  I am getting very sore as the day goes on... looking forward to my couch and an ice pack or 3, and perhaps indulging in Hop's therapeutic remedy... Mmmm, beer.

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
Re: Room 101's December 2, 2008 ACI (March 5, 2009 update)
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2009, 09:43:20 PM »
So, the Dr. visit was today.  It went great.  Fast, which is good.  I think now that I ditched the swelling from my slip & slide on Sunday that things have improved.  All I had to show him was leg straighten from bent... he looked at it, barely any crackling, swelling is down, incision good.  He said my quad was great for this point and to keep doing what I'm doing... be smart and work it.

Cool!  I am interested in PT tonight because I finally felt more loose riding the bike last night.  It had been the same for a couple of weeks and i was getting a little frustrated... but I took a couple days off after I fell and it seemed to help... what that tells me is that maybe I need just a tad more moderation in my workouts.  I think I'll be better than 125 tonight.  I just feel it.

I asked for surgery pictures again, but they couldn't find them, so I'll email the PA again to see if I can have them mailed/emailed to me.  I'd love to see them. 

So, all in all, I feel great and seem to be making good progress.  The last 24-36 hours have shown a major improvement.  I am ready to settle in to this next phase of rehab, which lasts a very long time  :D

These dr. appointments seem to come at the perfect time... right after a nice improvement and just when you get all fed up & frustrated with how long it's been doing the same stuff, haha.

I'll post pics if I get them.  I just have to figure out where to upload them...

Room 101

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
Re: Room 101's December 2, 2008 ACI (March 5, 2009 update)
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2009, 09:52:52 PM »
Standard leg/scar picture... Man, I'm pale and out of shape!

Not sure if this might work...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2010284&id=1491844604&l=4c47d
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 10:11:42 PM by Room 101 »