Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Room 101's December 2, 2008 ACI (**January 31, 2011 update**)  (Read 32346 times)

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • 2+2=5
Re: Room 101's December 2, 2008 ACI (Jan. 22 update)
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 05:14:09 PM »
Oddly, my foot has been fine.  I had foot weakness like that after the AMZ.  I am sure the shin thing is muscular, from working the ankle strength. I ditched one crutch last night in PT.  It feels good.  We worked on exactly what you wrote, Gibbon  8) - heel to toe and no collapsing internal rotation of the foot.  We did tons of balance & leg lifts for hip work and quad work.  Man, I actually got tired.  It was good PT.  No bike and still no SLR, although we are kind of going about it a little differently since I still get some kneecap flair ups w/ movement I'm not quite ready for.

I did do some no crutch walking w/ supervision, and it felt pretty good, but I fatigued very fast.  Fascinating really.  I had no pain at all.  It's really only straight leg supine exercises that nip me still.  We've been doing a lot of bent leg stuff, which is fine. 

Have a good weekend,
Room 101
February 1 2008 - left knee AMZ/LR/Debridement/ACI biopsy
December 2 2008 - left knee ACI - Patela
May 25 2011 - Left knee mfx - trochlea  (ACI growth looked "pristine"), Right knee ACI biopsy
September 5, 2012 - Right knee AMZ/ACI - patella

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
Re: Room 101's December 2, 2008 ACI (8 week update)
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 10:30:34 PM »
So... 8 weeks post today and 2 days crutch free.  I feel good.  This is one of those up days that can screw you later... I know I limp a little bit, but heel to toe is good and actually it feels nice to walk.  I don't get any giving way of the knee unless I do something too quickly. 

I was able to get full revolutions in PT on the bike yesterday.  I had to cheat w/ my foot ever so slightly  :P  that seemed to really loosen everything up.  10 minutes yesterday and 10 today.  It feels so nice!

The PT worked hard some some desensitizing and adhesions to the medial knee.  That helped a ton also.  I have really worked on balance and strength and (drum roll) 30 SLR yesterday and so far 30 today.   ;D  We haven't measure ROM for a while, and I need to massage the incisions even more than I have been, but I think we're headed in the right direction. 

I got freaked out yesterday when PT mentioned that I was having some nerve reactions, but he said it was normal and we just needed to desensitize.  It didn't bother me at all, but I do have stitch ends sticking out both ends of the incision.  I don't think my pain is nerve related, but I have been wrong before... it's just that I don't have pain unless it is in the straightening mode, like 45 degree terminal knee extensions (part of the 8 week rehab protocol) or the like.  It seems more like pain where the graft site was, but who knows... maybe the mild shin pain is related to nerves and there is something to it... I don't feel weak or anything either.  I guess it's good and maybe all this weird sensation stuff is normal. The tingling in my toes has almost gone away entirely, so hopefully it's just inflammation related.  I started back in the sauna last night.  I had held off for at least 6 weeks, but I missed it.  So nice and relaxing... and so good to really sweat hard.  I miss that.

So, 8 weeks has been pretty darn good.  Just the improvement over the last 4-5 days has been a lot.  I even climbed back into life and cleaned part of the house that didn't involve squatting or kneeling or bending and I cooked dinner and did the dishes, so my hubby is a happy guy   8)

hope you all are doing well.

Take care,
Room 101
May 25 2011 - Left knee mfx - trochlea  (ACI growth looked "pristine"), Right knee ACI biopsy

dileigh

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 11:26:10 PM »
Good job- I know you've been ready to get rid of the crutches.  Pretty soon you'll be running up and down stairs - well, maybe not running.....yet

Just don't overdo it.  There will be some down days, but the good days will outnumber them by a lot.

Diana

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 10:24:57 PM »
It feels good to be crutch free.  It is also so easy to overdo when it feels good.  I appreciate all the help you guys give :)

Room 101

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
Re: Room 101's December 2, 2008 ACI (Jan. 30 update)
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2009, 07:28:57 PM »
So it's Friday.  Sweet.  Not having a great day today but I made a mistake in going to therapy last night.  I got a call a few hours prior that my therapist was not able to be there but they had someone else... my theory was, at least I can get massage, manipulation, ride the bike and get e-stim & ice & do leg raises, etc... silly me.  Everyone thinks they know what to do or that this isn't that big a deal, like an ACL would be  ::) 

It started out fine.  SLRs and ab & adductors & glute leg raises...   then i got about 30 seconds of patella manipulation ... and that was it.  We moved on to a bunch of stuff I wasn't supposed to do yet.  Standing from seated chair, step ups/downs... he thought I was just being a jerk when I said it (or lazy), but the rehab protocol was right there.  I don't even know what happened exactly, but i certainly did something to tick off the kneecap because i am walking like crap today and my knee hurts quite a lot  :(  - I am sure I didn't "break" anything, but I hate going backwards... this week has been pretty big for me as I am able to do tons of SLRs now, but I still can't do certain motions without catching in one part of the knee.  I'll be happy when that goes away... and hopefully it is soon!

The tingly sensations in my foot are gone entirely and the shin pain is gone also... I think I just needed to stretch good and do some harder ankle work.

Anyway, work has been brutal today and I missed my training session, although I didn't feel like doing it with the pain anyway.

Cheers to one of the depressing down days  ;)

Ahhhh, at least I have a nice place to rant it out  :P

Take care,
Room 101

jonhark

Re: Room 101's December 2, 2008 ACI (Jan. 30 update)
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2009, 03:02:35 AM »
TGIF!!

Your PT should be fired for having you do those exercises so early.....that's absolutely crazy!!!

I don't doubt you are sore today under the kneecap. Catching is normal at this stage--although it should be avoided.

I'm at 6.5 weeks and my major focus now is to do a ton of heel slides and continue with SLR's and hip stuff.

You'll be feeling better on Monday after the weekend.

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
Re: Room 101's December 2, 2008 ACI (9 weeks post on Feb. 3)
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2009, 09:12:49 PM »
Today is Monday and back to therapy, after a disaster last weekend.  I was quite stiff even this morning, but having my normal PT back was excellent.  I told him about the horrible day last week, and he was pretty ticked.  He said he had the protocol written down for the guy and was happy i still came to PT ... until he heard the experience. 

But we're back to "normal" now, and it went pretty well.  I hit a really easy 110 degrees ROM today, and I can feel my balance getting a ton better.  He made up for the lack of massage last week today.  My appointment was more about the therapeutic part and less about the exercises today which I needed.  I can do the exercises on my own... He really nailed the IT band (man is that sore) and worked hard on the muscles around the knee... it felt so good!  We did a lot of flexion because I was still really stiff, some balancing and core work.  I ended w/ 10 minutes on the bike, e-stim & ice.  I am already walking better.

On a good note, my trainer found me a slightly used stationary bike and got a heck of a deal.  He dropped it by on Saturday ;D
-- I love being able to do 10 minutes or so at home alongside the other exercises.  For some reason it feels like I'm doing more  that way :P

There are still some movements that hurt a lot, but for the most part I can see big improvements on things that were more difficult last week. 

It's definitely a very long road, and no matter how much I thought I was mentally prepared and comfortable with my decision to move forward... this is a much bigger animal than I even imagined, and I imagined it to be hard.  For me it's the patience that is hard... not the rehab.  I worked out as much as I could in spite of the pain & injury, so the work isn't hard.  It's the constant fighting to hold back and not overdo it, and the frustration when you do overwork.  It's also the fragility of the rehab as well.  But it's fun to see the improvements! 

Hope everyone had a good weekend!

Room 101

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
Re: Room 101's December 2, 2008 ACI (Feb. 5 update)
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2009, 09:35:47 PM »
It's Thursday, and not much has changed in the last 3 days, but I have PT tonight and then we're taking a break from this wonderful Illinois winter to go to Florida for a few days... I was bummed to miss that much therapy, but then my PT said not to worry... he'll give me a nice pool rehab to do.  I know I have access to a gym and a bike, so that's good.  I am just looking forward to some sun (hopefully)... covering the incisions, of course.

I worked out yesterday, and while on my back I can get into full extension easily and now failed SLRs are a thing of the past... I just need to progress through extension.  The knee still feels catchy and raw on that move.  I just try to keep on the bike daily and as normal a workout routine as I can get. 

I thought I was walking a lot better and more free... and then my boss says to me today "Wow, you're still really struggling"  :P -- oh well... can't impress everyone  :D  -- I actually ventured out to the mall for the first time since I got off crutches.  I needed some reasonable shoes to wear with dress pants in Florida... with no heel.  I actually found a couple pair, so that's a hugs bonus.  They were actually cute, too  ;)  - I was never a high heel wearer anyway... if shoes don't have the Nike stripe, I am normally unimpressed  ;D

I know there is no magic trick to get the extension back but time.  It's just one of those things that freaks you out and you wonder what's wrong  ???  -- keep icing and working and eventually that gain will come I am sure. 

I kind of dread the airport hassle and the flight for stiffness sake, but I am looking forward to heading south for sure.   We're staying with relatives and they were apologizing for it only being 60 degrees... I said compared to the -2 it is right now, 60 is ideal!  Let's see if I can control myself and not overdo it, like usual.

Have a great weekend,
Room 101

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
Re: Room 101's December 2, 2008 ACI (Feb. 11 update)
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2009, 07:16:29 PM »
10 weeks post yesterday.  We got back from Florida last night.  Ahhh, sunny and 75-80 all weekend.  It was so nice to be outside.  We walked a lot more than I thought I would be able to.  It was too cold for the pool, so I settled for my usual routine in the fitness center, but that was ok too.  I struggled a lot on the day we left.  We had to walk so far through O'Hare to get to our gate from the parking lot.  Then I got so stiff sitting in those seats.... it was great after that.  I walked the first day and by the time we were finishing my leg had started to give on me.  So I stopped.  I was sore and iced at night but I woke up feeling great.  Every day I walked farther than the last.  No pain unless I moved a little bit wrong.

I still don't bend great... really stiff, and I get grinding big time behind the kneecap when I try and straighten it from a bent position.   That concerns me quite a bit as it doesn't seem to be greatly improving.  We have been working on getting the hips firing, but it only helps a little.

Back to the routine starting today.  It was nice to be rehabbing in the sun, and I am walking so much more normal now, and pain free except when I first get up and need to get moving.

Kim

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2009, 12:48:53 AM »
So at what point were you all able to start biking "normally" again?  I still have to cheat, but I'm interested in how everyone progressed through this part?  I am still really stiff, and I don't feel much improvement in biking.  I still really have to turn my foot, but now I keep my hips & leg aligned.  I'm certainly not trying to do any real biking, but merely loosening, easy motion biking.

I'm just curious how others progressed and looking for some experiences with regard to biking.

Thanks,
Kim

dileigh

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2009, 12:06:54 AM »
Other than a few exercised the OS ordered, I didn't even start PT until 12 weeks.  At that point, it didn't take too long to bike normally - just a few days

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2009, 05:01:07 PM »
Thanks dileigh.  I appreciate it.   :)

PT was good last  night, for the most part.  I have noticed that I am seeing no improvement on the bike.  I can almost do a full extension but it starts to hurt behind the knee, so I stop a little short.  My knee swelling was down 8mm.  the calf was down about the same and I got 5mm bigger on the quad since the last measurements, so all of that is going well... I lost 7 degrees on flexion though.  I was 117 last week and 110 yesterday.  We worked and worked and it got no better.  There is no pain until it just stops and then it's like my knee hits a brick wall.  it's weird actually.  My stability was so much better and we kept progressing into this weeks new activities.  I was able to do things I couldn't do a week ago.  There has been clear improvement except for bending.  I fear adhesions, but will keep trying to work on it.  With the swelling down so much, I would have expected improvement.   ???

Oh, well.  One day at a time, right?   :P

Take care,
Kim

jonhark

Re: Room 101's December 2, 2008 ACI (Feb. 12+1 update)
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2009, 06:36:47 PM »
I started biking at 8 weeks. Start with no resistance then slowly increase starting around 16 weeks. it is an important part of the rehab as it promotes cell growth through synovial fluid. i didnt' experience any pain...maybe some really slight discomfort. After my first AMZ/mfx i did experience pain and biking wasn't feasible.

I can see how biking and walking is tough without full extension. One think I focus on with walking is to push through extension while walking and not keeping a bent leg. It makes a big difference. Put your foot at the end of a table and apply pressure to the thigh if you want to increase extension.

My experience from last time was to hold off on any exercises until there was no sharp pain. Dull pain is fine as that is to be expected until the graft matures.

I've also been sleeping in my brace. That keeps the leg straight and prevents you from bending the knee during sleep.

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
Re: Room 101's December 2, 2008 ACI (Feb. 12+1 update)
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2009, 10:39:08 PM »
Hi, Jon.  Thanks for the insight.  I always appreciate your input.  I should clarify (clearly I have Friday brain going  :P )

I have full extension walking, but I can't quite straighten my leg when I'm sitting with it hanging over a table... like doing an extension.  It hurts quite a lot.  The bike is ok.  I don't use much, if any resistance, but my knee is still really stiff, and while I can do full revolutions, I am definitely limited by the 110 degrees of flexion... the 110 used to be 117 a week ago.  I hope I just overdid the walking on vacation.  I don't have any pain at all... it's just super stiff.  I only get pain when i bend it too far, so I don't do that, but I do try to push past comfort to get more bend.

My walking has definitely improved, and I try to do what you are saying.  It works until I get tired.  I agree with the dull pain vs. sharp pain theory also.  I seem to go from no pain t sharp pain pretty quickly right now.

Thanks, and take care.

Kim

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
Re: Room 101's December 2, 2008 ACI (Feb. 16 update)
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2009, 08:36:17 PM »
Happy Monday.  11 weeks post tomorrow.  It's hard to believe it has been that long honestly.  It seems like the last week was a big one for improvement... even just over the weekend.    Certain movements just happen naturally now where they were impossible a couple weeks ago. 

I had a great weekend and a nice PT session today.  The weather finally broke for the moment.  The ice & snow melted off the drive & street, so I was happily able to go outside and take a walk on dry land.  That was very nice.  Sometimes it's good to live in the flatlands of Illinois!  I'd still prefer 80 and sunny, but I'll take 30 and flurries for February  ;) -- I rode the bike both days as well as walked.  I am getting stronger and more balanced for sure.  I dropped from 117 to 110 degrees flexion last Thursday, but today I reached an easy 125, so I think I got rid of some more swelling.  We worked mostly on balance and hip strength today.  I can tell I will be sore tomorrow, but a good and fun sore and not an uh oh sore. 

My next follow-up w/ the dr. is March 5.

Today is one of the good days, but I am definitely in that mental range of feeling better but stuck on the same level of rehab for a while longer... also known as boring phase, so I might as well write on here and bore you.  I am thrilled that this is mundane... I wouldn't want this rehab to be exciting  :P

Take care,
Kim