Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Room 101's December 2, 2008 ACI (**January 31, 2011 update**)  (Read 32315 times)

Offline ajschnelk

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Room 101's December 2, 2008 ACI (December 10, 2009 update)
« Reply #165 on: December 31, 2009, 03:14:51 PM »
wow, I can't believe you were able to board consecutive days without too much trouble.  If you can do this okay at 13months imagine what it will be like 2, 3, 4+ years post op.  Skiing is one thing I hope to get back to at after I recover from my throchlea groove aci (currently 4wks post)... I may even swith to a board to help out on the knees.  Grat to hear and thanks for sharing. 

Offline Hathor

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #166 on: January 01, 2010, 07:14:36 AM »
Absolutely, I'm very optimistic but I have to remind myself that the last ACI in the same spot failed for a reason.

I highly recommend the snowboarding though. I took it up after having skied all of my life because of my knee. It is nowhere near as intense on the knees as skiing and it was fun learning a new sport.

I hope to get back to skiing at some point in the next couple of years though.

Good luck

H
aci left patella 05
MACI left patella Dec 08

Offline ajschnelk

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #167 on: January 02, 2010, 02:12:39 PM »
did you ever find out anymore on why it possibily failed the first time?  I think I remember reading your posts and didn't you run long distance and snowboard very early with the last maci?  I am surprise you did what you did given your first one failed and the fact it's still early to be attempting high impact stuff. 

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #168 on: January 05, 2010, 12:33:02 AM »
Hathor - Great to hear from you, and such wonderful news, too!  I am happy for you.  I don't ski or snowboard, so I am pretty lame in the winter  :P -- I did however go sledding a few weeks ago... up the hill climbing in a foot of snow.  I had no issues.  My knee got sore at the end, but simply because my legs were very tired.  I'm still doing the same 'ol same 'ol on most days, but I feel really good about the hiking and sledding, etc.  I have also been able to do 100% pain free front loaded squats and all kinds of different dead lifts.  I have noticed a huge improvement over the last 6 weeks in all honesty.  I was even wearing heels again over the holidays to different parties.  The one hard thing for me that causes swelling is to just stand in one place for a long period of time.  It sounds so simple, but as long as I'm moving it is all great.  Standing?  Wow.  We were at a neighbor's holiday party and I stood for 3-4 hours talking.  We moved around a little, but it was really crowded. I was so swollen by then end I could hardly bend my leg, but it went away as soon as I could get it up and ice once.  Wacky. 

hope you all have a great 2010!!

Room 101
February 1 2008 - left knee AMZ/LR/Debridement/ACI biopsy
December 2 2008 - left knee ACI - Patela
May 25 2011 - Left knee mfx - trochlea  (ACI growth looked "pristine"), Right knee ACI biopsy
September 5, 2012 - Right knee AMZ/ACI - patella

Offline Hathor

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #169 on: January 05, 2010, 09:16:34 AM »
Hey 101, good to hear you are doing great as well. Can't say I get any swelling even after standing but we are all recovering at different rates and in different ways. I haven't done any loaded squats so you are ahead of me on the front.

Despite having a great time in your winter, it was nice to get back to 100F here in Oz. Much like you, I'm back to same old but have increased the intensity. I am rowing (indoors) and cycling a lot and swimming/doing weights in between. I am increasing to 1-2 hard work-outs a week either on the rower or on the bike. The knee feels weird for the rest of the day after a max intensity workout but feels good to go the next. My plan is to use this approach until 18 months and if it's all still good will ramp up again.

I had a my first 'hit' of tennis on Sunday for the first time in 18 months. Fortunately it was just doubles so I didn't have to move too much. If any balls were out of reach I let them go as I am still not running. It felt strange pushing off with the 'bad' leg but no pain. Played for an hour and really enjoyed it.

Keep us posted on your progress.

H
aci left patella 05
MACI left patella Dec 08

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #170 on: January 05, 2010, 04:50:31 PM »
haha, Hathor, I think our brains are on the same wavelength.  I have stayed away from impact and pivoting/twisting to this point, but I have done a lot of pushing off.  It's so strange to have zero pain... I don't recall the last time I pushed off with no pain.  We have an Australian Shepherd that loves to play frisbee, and I chase the frisbee like you chase the tennis ball, haha.  I also have gone to a couple of my niece's bball practices and done some passing and dribbling, etc.  It's getting harder to contain myself.

I basically do 3 hard lifts per week and throw cardio in on the off days.  I don't worry about days off unless my good (now bad) knee gives me fits, which happens more than I'd like.  I am getting tons stronger. I only swell when I stand for a long time, and I think it's due to putting all my weight on my repaired leg too stay off my other leg.  It's strange because I never swell after working out, even when I tweak it a little.

My big goal is to have a pain free knee by softball season... it will be 17 months post.  Since that involves twisting & impact, I'll get the OS's blessing hopefully in April to start testing it out.

Take care.  100F.  That sounds nice.  It was 10F here this morning.... which is a hot streak  :D
May 25 2011 - Left knee mfx - trochlea  (ACI growth looked "pristine"), Right knee ACI biopsy

Offline courtem10

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #171 on: January 12, 2010, 04:07:19 PM »
Hi Hathor & Room101,

So good to hear about all these triumphs between the snowboarding, hiking, and all your other activities. It deffinitely gives me something to look forward to!! Keep it up. Room 101- I know you are on the watch for your good knee. And like Ive mentioned before, I'm in the same boat. Anyways, I was wondering how soon your doc would consider operating on your good knee. I know you said you wanted to wait for a longer recovery......I'm contemplating going under the knife again soon, it would be right about a year after my other. Not sure if this is the best idea, but there's a lot of other contributing factors that would warrant this being done so quickly. So i'm not sure. I know Jon Hark had both his knees done, but I can't recall how close together he did them. Help.....

Courtney
7/08 Left knee microfracture
12/08 Left knee ACI biopsy
4/09 Left knee ACI/AMZ

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #172 on: January 12, 2010, 06:06:07 PM »
Hi, Courtney.  I guess the glass half full of your post is that your repaired knee must be doing quite well to be considering doing the second one... but this boat we're in sure is craptastic.  I am having more & more problems with my "other" knee.  It locks often and gives out some, but we are really concentrating on strength training as I am again having trouble with pushing cardio & the resulting swelling & pain... even walking quickly.  I still do it, but not as long as I might want.  A lot of what I feel is the same as the other knee was, only not as severe.  My hope, honestly, is that perhaps it's just meniscus damage or something "simple".  It's so tender to touch it. and gawd, the grinding is brutal.

My repaired knee is awesome and has now taken over the role of the "good" knee.  I know when I saw the OS for my one year he wasn't even ready to talk about knee number two.  He checked it some, but he said he didn't want to go down that road so soon if it could be helped.  I know I still have a long way to go on the repaired knee.  I don't believe it could handle the burden yet of being the only working lower appendage. 

My plan is to continue to strength train and try to be patient.  I have an appointment in April to go back and let him check it out more thoroughly.  He made an appointment for 4 months instead of 6-12 months so we can keep an eye on righty.  I would venture that it will continue, and he did mention possibly a scope this year.  I am trying to get back to playing softball by summer, so if a scope were in the works, I would definitely wait until fall.  August/September.  I don't know if I can play or how it will work out, but that is my goal.

As for Jon Hark, I want to say it was like 18 months apart and he mentioned (I think) at some point that he maybe should have waited a little longer, but hopefully all is well with him and both knees are feeling well at this point.

Courtney, good luck with everything you have going on.  I feel your pain and wish the best for you.  Have you had any tests done on the second one?  Do you know the location/size of the problem (and all the other tidbits)?

Take care,
Room 101

Offline Hathor

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #173 on: January 12, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
Hi gang

Sorry to hear the 'good' legs are causing you pain. If it's any consolation mid way through my rehab at 6months I started getting really sharp pain in my good leg too, right under the patella !! It seemed to flair up most when I did wall squats or exercises which put a lot of pressure on my good leg. I was really nervous that I'd screwed that one up as I have been favouring it for the last 3-4 years. Anyway, I had an MRI done via my local doctor so that I didn't worry my OS and it all came back with no findings. My PT told me to lay off the wall squats for a while and make sure I exercised both legs equally rather that 90% the bad one and 10% the good one. It took a few months but the pain has since gone away.

Sorry to hear of your troubles and 101 stay positive

H
aci left patella 05
MACI left patella Dec 08

Offline courtem10

• Regular Poster
« Reply #174 on: January 13, 2010, 04:17:35 PM »
I have an MRI scheduled for tomorrow night on my good knee. Then I go back to doctor next tuesday. We will see what the MRI shows for damage. Other than him moving my knee around and asking about the pain, I have no concrete evidence of specific damage. So now I wait for some hopefully good news. Although not that a clear MRI will stop the daily pain I have. No win situation :(

Courtney
4/09 Left knee ACI/AMZ

Offline Hathor

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #175 on: January 13, 2010, 07:16:49 PM »
Fingers crossed for you Courtney. An MRI should provide most answers but as my OS once told me, "you can never really be sure until you get in there and take a look via arthroscope".

Hathor
aci left patella 05
MACI left patella Dec 08

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #176 on: January 13, 2010, 10:51:36 PM »
Courtney, good luck tomorrow.  I wish you the best (which is an answer and a simple solution)  :)  -- I hope it all works out for you.

Hathor, Thanks for the encouragement... I do get seriously bummed when I have the right knee issues.  I try and focus on the repaired knee and how great it feels... yesterday working out, we were doing single leg bridges, and my left leg was so strong it blew my mind with how little fatigue I had.. and then righty crapped out mid set.  I applaud the success of the repair and lament the pain in my other knee.  I almost do feel as if it is something different though.  Whatever it is , well it's not as severe as lefty was prior to the AMZ/ACI, but it isn't good.  For me, it is too soon to pursue it.  I want to continue rehab on lefty and get back to as close to 100% as possible, which I know will only help righty to be as strong as possible.  April will be interesting  :P

Take care,
Room 101

Offline courtem10

• Regular Poster
« Reply #177 on: January 19, 2010, 06:07:20 PM »
MRI is done- now I go to doc tonight to read results. Saying my prayers!!  :-\

Courtney
4/09 Left knee ACI/AMZ

Offline lizonka

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #178 on: January 21, 2010, 12:56:49 PM »
let us know what happens.

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
Re: Room 101's December 2, 2008 ACI (**January 31, 2011 update**)
« Reply #179 on: January 31, 2011, 07:14:23 PM »
Wow, it has been so long since I have been out here, but I felt like I wanted to share an update.  I heard from a fellow knee-geek asking me how progress was at 2 years post op.  I didn't intentionally go away for so long on purpose.  Things with my knee have been really good.  I am 2 years and 2 months post op now.  In April 2010, I was pretty well released to do anything I could handle.  At that time, I knew I was still pretty weak.  I made a decision to play in a co-rec softball league.  From my competitive background this was far more social than strenuous and I figured it would be a great intro back into sport.  The first game or two were interesting.  I didn't have much trust in my knee as far as laterally pushing and running bases, etc.  But my hitting was top notch.  I haven't hit the ball that well in forever... I was finally pain free. 

Here is where it sucks (skip the paragraph if you don't want to read the story)... 2rd game back I was playing 1st and the guy who hit a grounder to 3rd decided to forego the safety base and try to knock the ball from my hand ... now this is as illegal as it gets, but like I said co-rec and the ump was like 100 years old and didn't care... so the guy did run full on into me, knock the ball out, knock the mitt off ... and he shattered the radius & ulna in my left wrist.  Thus the absence from this board, hahaha.  That was May, 2010 and I had surgery to install a plate and screws the next week.  It hasn't gone all that great and I just stopped therapy a month ago ... it was a very nasty break and the surgeon thinks it will take a year to get "back to normal" - I have lost a lot of RoM and enough function that it frustrates me.  I am told I should heal to the point of never knowing it happened... the other theory besides time is that the plate is irritating and will likely have to come out, which he won't do for at least a year post-op. So, I was away from here because I ultimately had to concentrate on my wrist and forget about my knee... for a while.

After neglecting my knee rehab during the summer due to my wrist rehab, we were really able to get back after it in the fall.  I made huge strides with strength.  We are always very careful regarding shin angle and lifting form, etc.  But I was able to really start doing full weight-bearing 1 leg exercises like 1 leg dead-lifts and we pushed some more difficult exercises like reverse lunging and even some moderate squatting and some serious combo moves.  I was on top of the world ... and then one day my "good" knee gave out during a dead-lift rep. ... and I threw out my back, which I have never done before.  That's the next saga, I guess.  We had to backtrack on the workouts to accommodate my "good" knee.  I had 2 months of fierce problems with my "good" knee and was ready to put my head thru a wall.  Now that I got the knee pain under control, my back seems to be a more chronic issue stemming from my hip which seems to be coming from my knee pain.   It's become clear that I am favoring something in a very odd way.  I go see Dr. Cole February 10th for an update on my ACI knee which he asked for yearly and I want him to look over my other knee and get his thoughts.  I was really hoping to wait on that until summer.

My ACI knee is doing fantastic.  My hubby and I finally decided to try cross country skiing, and I felt like my knee was strong enough to give it a shot.  I never had done anything like it before.  No downhill.  No snowboarding.  At first I didn't trust my knees, but I got into it and the ACI knee responded very well.  We have since gone a few more times and totally love the workout and the challenge.  Each time we go, the ACI knee aches some but I wake up the next day feeling great.  The "good" knee is usually in a good amount of pain but the experience is worth it and it has been 2 decades since I could do that fierce a cardio workout.  I don't wanna stop now!!!

The bottom line is I still feel improvements in the ACI knee, and I am gaining confidence.  I know I will never be 18 again, and I know this might be as good as it gets, but really, it's pretty dang good.  I can walk and bike and cross country ski and lift and live my life walking up & down stairs with no problems whatsoever.  I might get stiff or swell up for a few hours, but I couldn't walk 1/2 mile before.  I couldn't have had a better result for the damage that was done, and I know I can get even stronger.  I had a long setback with my wrist and got behind on my knee rehab... oh, and I can actually kneel on my ACI knee now which I couldn't do before.  I don't want to do it for hours, but for short timeframes, it's fine.

So, that's it in a nutshell.  All is great with the repaired knee and the "good" knee is on the fritz...

Hope you all are doing well.  I need to catch up on my reading next!

Room 101