Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Room 101's December 2, 2008 ACI (**January 31, 2011 update**)  (Read 32305 times)

Offline hathor65

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Room 101's December 2, 2008 ACI (October 6, 2009 update)
« Reply #150 on: October 13, 2009, 10:37:06 PM »
101, good to see you are back on the board with some good positive updates.

I haven't been on for a while but thought I'd share some exciting news of my own. My OS did an arthroscope yesterday to check things out and to quote his post op notes "MACI is looking excellent". He took a load of photos and the graft looks pristine and white. He said that there was only a small amount of overgrowth to debride and some scar tissue to tidy up. He also debrided my fat pad as I've had some pain there on and off for the last few months. I'm at home for a few days icing and resting but can't wait to get going again with this good news. I am just over 10months post op.

I am heading to Vail at Xmas (snowboarding here I come  :-\) and on to Chicago to watch my Bears play the Vikings, can't wait. In terms of exercise these days, I'm cycling and rowing a lot and last week-end moved up to ride with some of the guys I race with and pushed the knee really hard for 30 minutes in a 1 1/2hr ride. No pain when riding and just a dull sensation the rest of the day. I went back out on Sunday for an easy ride and still felt good. I am also in the gym doing weights, mainly hammy curls, leg press, swiss-ball wall squats and limited leg extensions. I do 4 sets of 10 of each around 3 times a week.

I hope this gives fellow knee geeks some positive vibes and although it's a long slow process, it's moments like these that keep you going.

Hathor

Nov 03 - L Knee debridement
May 04 - ACI L knee - Patella
Dec 08 - MACI L Knee - Patella
Oct 09 - L Knee scope

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #151 on: October 14, 2009, 09:15:31 PM »
Hi, Hathor!  Glad the scope went well and the graft is doing awesome  :D  -- We seem to be in the same spot rehab wise.  It's been that way from the start, haha.  I lift 3 days a week also and do biking/walking in between.  I hit a new milestone for me yesterday at my workout.  I was able to do 1 leg deadlifts w/ a 25  lb. ketle bell.  Before I was doing suitcase deadlifts, which is only about 1/2 the load since you set it down on one rep and pick it up on another.  My range with the ACI knee was short compared to my other knee, but it felt really good, and I had zero post workout pain.  I feel great today, so clearly it's ok to push that some.  My quads were sure feeling it, which was great.  I notice I have increased the size of my ACI quad quite a bit in the last month.  It isn't lagging nearly as bad.

Thanks for the update, and have fun snow boarding (be careful  ;) ) -- The Bears game should be nice and cold for you!

Room 101
February 1 2008 - left knee AMZ/LR/Debridement/ACI biopsy
December 2 2008 - left knee ACI - Patela
May 25 2011 - Left knee mfx - trochlea  (ACI growth looked "pristine"), Right knee ACI biopsy
September 5, 2012 - Right knee AMZ/ACI - patella

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #152 on: October 29, 2009, 09:00:15 PM »
Hey all... well, I had to cancel my Dr. appointment today   >:(  -- It has been rescheduled for December 10th.  I was so ticked.  I wanted to be cleared to do some more activity... nothing like running, but I guess I was looking forward to the doc's reassurance that all is well... I had a customer at work request a conference call for Wednesday or Thursday.  I emailed back and sad I was available except 12:30-14:30 Thursday.... so they made the call for 13:30 today  ::)  -- What are ya gonna do?

Oh, well.  I just get the same mundane routine for another 6 weeks, but that's ok.  I was hoping to swing a really light golf club when we go to Hawaii, but I'll live without it.  I don't want to do the twisting until I get released to do that, and I haven't been as of yet.

Things are still going well, although for the first time I got really sore after flying sardine coach Monday.  I had to stuff my bag inder the seat because everyone brings so much crap on board.  Then, I had a guy impeding on my part of the seat because he had a huge bag stuffed under his.  I ended up kicking him out of the way (he didn't speak English) because my knee was just throbbing, sitting in a weird position... so I made him move twice (4 times total) in and out of his seat with that big huge bag so I could go to the bathroom.  I am spiteful when i want to be... but hey, stay on your own side!!!   ;D

It was funny in hindsight... minus the stiff knees.  My good knee was way worse off than my repaired knee... so I guess that is positive...

have a great week!
Room 101
May 25 2011 - Left knee mfx - trochlea  (ACI growth looked "pristine"), Right knee ACI biopsy

Offline Hathor

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #153 on: November 05, 2009, 06:15:32 AM »
Great story 101, I'd be doing the same thing !! It becomes a habit to scope a room out for the seat best suited to your 'bad' leg all the time. I always book aisle on planes and at the movies so I can stretch the left leg when I want.

I've been back to see my OS since my scope and now understand why it has been feeling so sore and recovery much slower than I expected (and sorer than all the other previous scopes I've had). Not only did he check the new cartilage, he cleaned out the fat pad and, unknown to me, also did a slight lateral release !! All in the best interest of "maximising an excellent overall outcome" according to him !! It's been 3 weeks since the op and he's restricting me to easy spin on the bike and squats in the pool for another 2 weeks or so....how frustrating, feel like I'm back in week 6 of the MACI !! I took the plunge and am on NSAIDs for the inflammation. He said it was safe....

He doesn't want to see me again and his parting words were that based on what he saw and felt with the probe on the new cartilage, that there is no reason why I shouldn't have an excellent long term outcome. He said it was firm and really well integrated so I guess it's down to me now and patience.

It's been weird hobbling up and down stairs after having made such good progress over the last 9-10 months.

101, your 12months are up pretty soon which is a major milestone to be celebrated. I'm a few weeks after you so will toast us both.

Hathor
aci left patella 05
MACI left patella Dec 08

Offline courtem10

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #154 on: November 05, 2009, 03:58:37 PM »
Room 101- that's such a bummer about cancelling ur appointment :( But what can you do- life gets in the way of things. Anyways, have you tried a little running at all?? You're almost at a year! Wow, it's hard to be how fast time goes by.

General question to the group- has anyone out there run a marathon or longer distance race after having ACI done on there knees, and if so- how long after the procedure did you attempt the race?? I am looking into marathons for next winter (December 2010/Jan 2011) but not sure what I can be expecting to do at that point.

Courtney
7/08 Left knee microfracture
12/08 Left knee ACI biopsy
4/09 Left knee ACI/AMZ

Offline Hathor

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #155 on: November 05, 2009, 07:07:31 PM »
Hi Courtney

I did some training runs up to 20 miles from around 20 months and ran a marathon at roughly 26months when I had my first ACI.

I will not be doing that with my new MACI cartilage as something caused the last one to disintegrate after a couple of years and i can't rule out the running/skiing etc. that I was doing after 12 months.
I don't intend to start running until 24 months and will not be doing the distances i used to. I may stick to short triathlons where you are only running up to 3 miles.

Your case may be different but I am erring on the cautious side as i won't be going for a third ACI in the same spot !!

Hope this helps

H
aci left patella 05
MACI left patella Dec 08

Offline courtem10

• Regular Poster
« Reply #156 on: November 06, 2009, 03:49:39 PM »
Thanks for the info, Hathor. That really helps. I was shooting to run a marathon at a bout 16 months after ACI, but I guess that seems kind of ambitious at this point. Plus, I really don't want to risk my new cartilage. I'm sure you have already told the story on this board, but to avoid re-reading through all the old postings- how did you originally find out that your first ACI had failed? Also, when you say 'disintegrated' do you mean that the cartilage never properly attached to the defect? Take care everyone!

Courtney
4/09 Left knee ACI/AMZ

Offline Hathor

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #157 on: November 09, 2009, 10:04:35 AM »
Courtney

At my 12 month scope it all looked good but at 2 years I had an MRI and it showed full chondral split and the new cartilage had broken up and was mixed with scar tissue. As it was so gradual I didn't really notice until I couldn't exercise without pains meds before and after. The graft itself took really well at the start on all accounts, but either I went too hard too soon or it never really formed into 'good' cartilage in the first place.

As I am at almost 12 months this time around again, I am going to go easy for another 12 months ie. NO RUNNING (or skiing) but will definitely be cycling, playing tennis, snowboarding very gradually over the next 12 months etc.

I may be a bit in the once bitten twice shy category but I am not going to lose another 18months in operations and rehab if I can avoid it with a bit of patience.

Hope this helps

H
aci left patella 05
MACI left patella Dec 08

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #158 on: November 09, 2009, 06:34:12 PM »
Hang in there Hathor.. it sounds like the backwards step will be great in the end!!  I am so happy that it all looked good tot he doc!  Yes, my one year is December 2nd, and will toast to yours when I celebrate.  It's all going quite as it should I believe.  As I said, I had to cancel my follow-up and make it for mid December, but I am positive all the news will be good.  I just need to keep working it out and progress as I am able.

Courtney, it's so good to hear things are well for you also.  I have no plans to run for quite a while.  I guess I was so bad before the surgery that I am fat dumb & happy to be able to hike & bike & workout aggressively at the gym.  I just don't want to do anything to mess this up.  I had patella defect which has a much lower success rate anyway, and I don't see the need to run... I hope to play some softball in the summer and also some golf.  If that goes well then I would think about adding more sports back w/ possibly a mini triathlon.

Hope you all have a good week and best wishes to all those recovering!

Room 101

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
Re: Room 101's December 2, 2008 ACI (December 2, 2009 update)
« Reply #159 on: December 02, 2009, 11:10:19 PM »
Hey fellow knee geeks!  I hope this day finds you all well and recovering nicely.  I have been away on vacation again... we kind of slammed it all into a couple of months for some reason.  We spent 10 days in Hawaii and had a blast.  My knee held up great, and I think I popped some scar tissue while swimming in the pool!  It hurt a lot at the time, but feels pretty good after the fact  ;D -- I worked out well while there.  I have started doing some crazy modified squats, one leg load w/ the other leg behind me on a 10" step.  It loads so cleanly, and is amazingly 100% pain free.  It should tremendously help my quad strength.  I got stiff on the super long flight but I walked it off quickly.  We hiked out at dusk onto the lava fields to see the current eruption site... I was a little nervous about this since you had to walk back in the pitch dark across uneven lava surfaces w/ big cracks and all that you could easily fall or lose your step... it actually went well.  I did trip once, but didn't hurt anything at all.  We did a couple more hikes to some waterfalls and I had absolutely no trouble.  It's so nice to not be in pain all the time and yet have some activity level... I never thought it would happen.  I know I am still really really careful, and I see Doc in 8 days.  I am excited to hear what he says.  I imagine my exercise repertoire will be opened up quite a bit w/ many less restrictions.  I still can't see running, but I need to work on quads still... work has been heck since I got back, and my workouts are suffering... which is not a good thing.  I am working longer than 12 hour days since I got back, and I am just exhausted... holiday time is supposed to slow down  ???

Ah well, it will all work out in the end I am sure.

Take care all, and I'll update again after my appointment.

Room 101

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
Re: Room 101's December 2, 2008 ACI (December 10, 2009 update)
« Reply #160 on: December 10, 2009, 11:36:17 PM »
Hello, peeps!  Hope all of you are doing well.  I am writing again fairly soon as I had my one year follow-up w/ Dr. Cole today.  It was a great appointment, regarding the repaired knee.  He was extremely pleased with my progress at one year and said I should continue to see marked improvement for another year or more.   :)  I told him about the hiking in Hawaii to the lava flow, and he was seemingly a little surprised I had no issues... he said that where my defect was that I could have had some pain from doing that... I had no problems at all.  We discussed my workouts and what I was doing, and how I tweaked my knee doing apushup plank w/ my feet on the wall Tuesday.  I know I don't hurt the graft at all when that happens, but I get frustrated with the temperamental knee... but he said it might always be that way, where I do things and tick it off and it gets better.  I had very minor swelling in the joint today, so it's finally much better, just in time for my next hard workout  :D  I know for a fact that I am no where near running, and I didn't even ask.  I really don't care about that right now, and I want to continue to progress the difficulty of my workouts as my knee lets me.  Doc said I was doing the right thing by pushing and trying things, and if it gives me trouble wait a month and try again.  It has been working well so far.

So, the goal for my repaired knee is to continue pounding quad strength, hip strength and anything else that really takes the pressure off the knee.

The only news that made me cringe was the conversation about righty... the "good" knee.  Doc doesn't want to do anything while this one is still repairing, and I would prefer to not ever have to do anything with righty.... but reality has set in.  I've had two lockups this week, and one big sensation of righty giving out on me while walking... just like lefty used to.  So, the official watch righty is on, and I see Doc again in 4 months to keep tabs on it.  Worst case right now is a scope to clean it and see what is up.  I'll not think about it now and cross the bridge when it comes.  As I get more active, righty gets more angry.  I don't like the trend, but I also don't want to go through all of this to end up in the same sedentary place I was before  ::)

All in all, a great day.  I am absolutely on cloud 9 that things with lefty are going so well.  I look forward to pushing things and seeing how far I can go (within the scope of rehab, of course)

Room 101

Offline ajschnelk

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #161 on: December 12, 2009, 02:46:05 AM »
This is great news!  Best of luck with your continued positive recovery. i am hoping everything goes well for me and I'm able to post similar results a year from now.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 02:49:00 AM by ajschnelk »

Offline courtem10

• Regular Poster
« Reply #162 on: December 14, 2009, 02:48:21 PM »
Hey Room 101,

So awesome to hear that your left leg has come along so well!! It's an inspiration for the rest of us still trudging through this journey. Hope your "good" knee holds up as long as possible. So daunting to face this surgery again, I try not to think about it

Courtney
4/09 Left knee ACI/AMZ

Offline Room 101

• Forum Faithful
  • 2+2=5
« Reply #163 on: December 14, 2009, 05:40:05 PM »
Thanks, guys!  It's good to read up on your status and see all is progressing for you as well.  I failed to mention that I have on 2 occasions worn 2" heels with no issues.  Granted, it was dress boots and not spike heels, but it was a heel and not a completely flat shoe.  I felt great and had no trouble walking.

Take care, and everyone enjoy the week. 

Room 101

Offline Hathor

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #164 on: December 31, 2009, 09:07:40 AM »
Hi ACI'ers and MACI'ers out there and Happy New Year

Thought I'd update you with how things have been going with my left patella MACI at 13 months. I've just got back from a week of snowboarding in Vail and had a pretty good outcome overall. The affected leg was a little weak at times to start with (mainly quads and hammies) but I was able to get out every day for 6 days straight. Due to the intense cold, I spent a fair bit of time during the day in the various lodges having coffee and resting my leg. I experienced practically no pain in the knee in fact got more pain in my neck from a couple of bad stacks from whiplash!! I stretched religiously before going out each day and ended the day in the hot tub to relax the aches and pains.
I could probably have waited another 6 months to build more strength in the leg to have made the boarding more enjoyable but I will continue to work on that.

The trip finished on a high with watching my Bears beat the Vikings at Soldier Field...

I hope everyone else is doing ok out there.

Hathor

aci left patella 05
MACI left patella Dec 08

support