Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Can anybody relate and advise?  (Read 1089 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline puzzled71

  • MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Liked: 0
Can anybody relate and advise?
« on: January 26, 2009, 10:58:39 PM »
Hi Guys,

A few months ago I went to the GP because my knee kept on swelling up and I had a tender lump on the back of my knee.
After the consulatation the GP said that I had a Baker's Cyst and gave me some tablets and told me to come back if it got any worse.
I took the tablets but no real change.

Last week I visited my GP, I told him that my knee still swells up and if I sit down for too long I still have trouble straightening my leg.
The lump on the back of the knee is no longer tender but is still prominent.
This time he sent me for an X-Ray which I am still awaiting the results for.

 I have always had very strong calf muscles which when tensed are very defined, however, when I tense the calf on my good leg it is still defined but when I try to tense the muscle on my bad leg I can hardly tense the muscle at all.

Can anybody relate to this?
I will be getting the result of the X-Ray soon but I like to know how many lions are in the lions den before entering!!!

Offline lady

  • Forum Faithful
  • ****
  • Posts: 303
  • Liked: 0
  • live well laugh often love much and play hard
Re: Can anybody relate and advise?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 02:06:27 AM »
I wish I could help. I have flair ups with my cyst. It doesn't really bother me much only mildly and when my knee is killing me.
dislocated patella and chopped off most of chondal 1985
chondroplasty/medial meniscus repair 1996
ACI  quater size defect-surgery failure
lateral meniscus repair2002
chondroplasty, lateral Meniscectomy2006
synvisc & orthovisc injections 2008/2009
drained and cortizone injection 2008

Offline plantgeek58

  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • *****
  • Posts: 1358
  • Liked: 0
Re: Can anybody relate and advise?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 06:59:20 PM »
A baker's cyst is usually a sign that there is something wrong elsewhere in the knee joint. X-rays may show if there is joint space narrowing due to arthritis, but they won't show any soft tissue damage and a GP isn't going to be able to accurately diagnose the issue. I'd advise getting a referral to an orthopedic specialist and having him/her send you for an MRI.
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.