Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Daughter having Fulkerson procedure  (Read 6413 times)

Offline heidi63

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Daughter having Fulkerson procedure
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2009, 09:29:09 PM »
You're absolutely right!  That is what she told me today - she wants to do what SHE thinks she should be doing by now ... and it's not happening!  She's had a better day today - friends were here for 2 hours and were a great distraction!  She's trying 1 percocet during the day is so far is tolerating it.  Her color is better and she's smiling more!  YEAH! ;D
Hopefully she'll keep making progress!
Daughter's History:7/96-LL:broken tibia,disloc KC8/07-LK: arthro surgery-remove part synovium 9/08: RK: severe KC dislocation9/08-1/09: RK: sublexes,maltracking,patello alta,weak collagen1/09: RK: TTT, MPFL,5/09: Fractured right knee cap - immobilizer for 7 wks,continued pain-12/09 hardware removal

Offline heidi63

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2009, 12:53:50 AM »
My daugher has pain in her heel from it being a pressure point where the weight of her leg rests.  It's on a pillow but it's red & it's really bothering her.  Anyone experience this and/or have a solution?
Daughter's History:7/96-LL:broken tibia,disloc KC8/07-LK: arthro surgery-remove part synovium 9/08: RK: severe KC dislocation9/08-1/09: RK: sublexes,maltracking,patello alta,weak collagen1/09: RK: TTT, MPFL,5/09: Fractured right knee cap - immobilizer for 7 wks,continued pain-12/09 hardware removal

Offline adlottis

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2009, 01:13:58 AM »
I had a similar problem, I just wanted to crawl right out of my skin with what i was feeling from my knee all the way down to my toes, i put the pillow more under my knee and calf so my heel and foot were not toching anything, but you have to remember my OS told me to really get that leg up, i laid on the floor with the leg up on a chair, or i slept on ly my back with my leg elevated with about 5 pillows, it was terribly uncomfortable, my husband slept in another room for about 3 weeks, i had to many pillows for him and i to share the bed. 

Annette
1976 first dislocation 10 years old
1980 14 yrs old LR, MR, remove chip bone
1980-2005 numerous dislocations
March 2007 Proximal/distal realignment, chondroplasty
July 2007 MUA
July 2008  synvisc
Sept 2008 patellar tendon tendonitis
June 2009 hardware removal, LR, debriedment

Offline heidi63

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2009, 01:26:23 AM »
Thanks - she can't bend her knee at all and the heel lands on a pillow because of the immobilizer. I will try to get her leg raised higher and see if that helps.  She also said she feels like there is someone in her knee pulling & tugging -- little gremlins she calls them -- and it's driving her crazy.  Her staples have started to itch as well -- but I keep telling her all of this is a sign that she is healing!!!  She's sitting right here & asking for any advice from anyone on the recovery - particularly the length & how much longer this terrible pain keeps up.  Her 17 year old personality is rearing it's ugly head, so I know she's getting back to normal ....  ::) 

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2009, 01:38:48 AM »
It may help to do Ankle Pumps every hr or so to help stretch things out some.  Have her move her foot front to back and side to side.  This will also help move some of the fluid out of her leg.

Karen
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline heidi63

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2009, 01:45:11 AM »
Thanks Karen - I read her your post & she did it and she says it feels pretty good to move it around!  She also just did a full leg raise to see if she could as some of the posts have said they couldn't do that & some said they could.  Her PT had her keep her quads strong and it has obviously paid off (she has always been dedicated to her at home & physical therapy exercises).  She's just very impatient now because she wants to do more............. ::)

Offline adlottis

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2009, 02:02:04 AM »
Heidi,

My leg knee was at about 30 degrees so i had a slight bend.  also try to massage the foot of the bad leg, My toes and foot were terribly black and blue up into the ankle and i had a friend who came and rubbed the top of my foot, it was painful but it helped get the blood flowing.  It actually all felt like bruising in there. Yes I too felt some many weird things in my knee after surgery, I would get stinging sensations, it also felt like ants were running across the leg, they told me it was all nerve stuff, It will subside but it just takes a while. 

When I was recovering it felt like sometimes i was never getting better but it was only looking back that I realized that something that hurt didn't hurt as much anymore.  It's really hard to say how long her pain will be bad, everyone of us is different and we react differently.  I can definately say the first week was the worst, i got my half of my staples out at 8 days, and then went back 4 days later and got the other half out (I had 31 total and they took ever other one out the first appointment and then the rest of them out the next)  Taking out the staples really stung, and I had a stinging sensation the rest of the day.  I also started PT 8 days after surgery, and I have to say once I started PT things seemed to get better, I think it gave me something to do but also they worked on getting my swelling under control.  Plus then i was seeing a professional a couple of times a week who i could talk to and ask questions of.  My PT got along really well.  He took a big interest in me and my case and I ended up being there 6 months.  (long story).

Annette
July 2007 MUA
July 2008  synvisc

Offline heidi63

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2009, 01:21:35 PM »
Hi Annette,

Thanks for posting.  It is so comforting to have all of you give your advice, comments & experiences to those of us who don't know what's going on! 

My daughter had a much better night - first one that she only woke for pain meds & went right back to sleep.  She's continued on just 1 percocet each dose, so her pain has lessened!  She starts PT on Thursday - 8 days after surgery also.  Her PT has worked with her on & off for the past 6 years (mostly on her left knee issues but most recently on the right knee after the dislocation in September).  He is wonderful with her & she looks forward to going just because he's so encouraging, supportive & knowledgeable.  He takes the extra time to explain things to her & answers any questions she (or I) have. 

Her staples come out on Friday - she's nervous about that because she doesn't know how they can be removed without it being painful.  I am just taking one day at a time and don't even have that in my radar yet! 

I straightened up her room, organized her cards, flowers & gifts (they had just been sitting in the kitchen as she really didn't care about any of it), gave her a bunch of fun things to read and her sister has a whole box of 'projects' to do together with her to keep her company & occupied.  I'm trying to not have her room be a "sick room".  She did venture down to our family room for a couple of hours last night & wants to do that again today. 

I finally feel that she is on the road to recovery!   :D

Offline heidi63

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2009, 01:51:15 AM »
The pain is worse again.  She had a good day but tonight she had to take a 2nd percocet because her leg hurt so much.  She wants me to call the OS tomorrow because she thinks the pain should be less by now. ???? :-\

Offline heidi63

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2009, 03:34:42 AM »
Spoke to my daughter's OS today.  He told us to stop the icing all the time - said only to ice for one hour for every 4 hours of no ice.  He wants her to have her leg down more each day & wants her trying to resume getting around for just more than the bathroom.  He said stop ibuprofen.  She can still take 2 percocet if she needs it, but would like her down to 1 by Friday when he sees her to remove the staples.  Now I feel like we've been doing things wrong.  He said we were delaying the healing - not harmful, but not helping.  Ugh!  :-\

Offline dimples3887

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2009, 10:08:39 PM »
I think your daughter's OS is a bit on the optimistic side about this whole surgery.  I am 8 weeks post op and still not back to 100% on the getting around idea.  I was probably my best on crutches at about 7 days post-op.  I would recommend the ankle pumps as others have posted because even that little bit of movement helped a ton.  Also, the foot massage, which may sound a little prissy, is amazing.  Just to feel that your foot is still there. :)  I really hope that she starts to feel better soon.  Tell her to try to take it slow as she can. I know its annoying and I still have days where I get super frustrated about "not being able to do ANYTHING" (which is not true but it feels like it), but then I end up pushing myself too far and being really sore and regretful the next day.  Tell her that she should try to just relax and it may actually help her feel better if she doesn't push herself over the top so often.  I know that's hard to tell someone because I didn't want to hear it at 21, let alone 17 but still...it's a broken bone, it has to heal whether you want it to or not.  It kind of has taken over and you're just along for the ride. :)  It will get better though...I promise! Its a long recovery but you have to remember that no matter how long and hard the recovery is, it's better than dealing with horrible knees for the rest of your life, right? :)  Tell her good luck!  If you have any more questions, let us know! :)
21 yrs. old
LK: 6/02-LR(fail)
     9/05-MRI shows patella bone bruise
     12/15/05-Medial reefing, LR, patella debridement (fail)
     TTT to be scheduled after RK TTT rehab is done...
Pain, clicking, and crepitus in both knees now...
RK: 11/19/08 - TTT

Offline heidi63

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2009, 09:49:18 AM »
Hi Dimples,
Thanks for the pep talk!  I agree with you that I think the OS is a bit optimistic - but she is trying to push a bit more but carefully and she had a good day.  She goes to physical therapy today and she's looking forward to that - she wants to know what she can start to do now.  She's been doing leg raises and ankle pumps - fortunately, as a dancer for 12 years up until September, she has very strong quads and has kept them strong with PT since her injury, so that is in her favor.  I also think she's realizing this is a slow, steady climb rather than a sprint.  She is, after all, a typical 17 year old in her thinking that  she can do things faster than the rest of us!  She is having shin pain now - different than the all over pain previously - another indicator of healing I believe.  She's also getting rubbing from where the immobilizer rubs against her lower part of her leg -- little things but I can tell the pain is less because she is noticing these littler things.
Good luck with your continued recovery.  It helps so much to be able to hear other people's stories & progress .. sometimes I feel like that is the only thing that reassures me that we're doing the right things for her.  I wish she'd get on here and read/post, but so far she hasn't dont it.  Oh well, it helps me!   :D

Offline adlottis

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2009, 04:13:57 PM »
Heidi,

Im glad your daughter is doing better, I know once i started PT I felt better, It gave me something to look forward to, and I was able to see the outside world and talk to others.  I really liked going to PT, I felt it was a real lifeline for many months.  I was a real challenge for my PT because he was so limited as to what he could have me do for the first 4 weeks.  I was NWB for the first 4 weeks and my quad had absolutely no strength.  I'm glad your daughter has strong quads, it will hopefully speed her recovery along.  My quad is still only at 64% of the other leg, I keep working and working, I'm hoping to get to around 80% and I think I will settle in, once I hit that mark. 

Take care and keep us posted,
Annette

Just a thought, i know it is this way for me, sometimes the more I lay around the worse I feel, but if I was to get up and get moving it takes my mind of my pain and discomfort.  I do believe there is a fine line though where you can over do it and then it is counterproductive.
July 2007 MUA
July 2008  synvisc

Offline heidi63

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2009, 02:40:37 PM »
Well, you were right -- my daughter felt better after PT (more pain, but more productive & finally doing felt like she was doing something to progress in her recovery!).  She is limited as to what she can do but he sent her home with 3 home exercises & will see her again next week.  She got 60 degrees ROM which he was very pleased about for her first visit post-op.  She put 1/2 her body weight on her leg (with imimobilizer on) and walked around without crutches for a couple of minutes.  He reassured her that she wouldn't damage or do harm to her knee by walking with some weight bearing on the leg & that was a huge step for her!  He also told her that she'd have pain with her PT but that it was his job to help her push through it as this is 'healing' pain and not injury pain.  He did a great job explaining the recovery steps and what was/is happening inside her knee.  He's a great PT and I know she feels so much better because she saw him!  He spent almost 2 hours with her!   Today she gets her staples out - she's nervous about that because she can't believe it won't hurt - but is anxious to have them gone!  She's eating normal meals now and only took advil during the day yesterday until last night.  She took percocet at night.  So, a great day with many accomplishments, I'd say!!! ;D

Offline adlottis

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2009, 03:44:29 PM »
Heidi,

I'm so glad PT went well for her, I can understand her feeling nervous about getting her staples out, it doesn't feel great but it is tolerable.  I laid down so i didn't have to watch, I was really grossed out by the look of my knee with the scar, 8 inch scar and 31 staples.  My husband took pictures of the staple removal, it took me a few months before i could look at them without feeling queezy.

Let us know how she does.
Annette
July 2007 MUA
July 2008  synvisc

support