Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Daughter having Fulkerson procedure  (Read 6411 times)

Offline heidi63

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Daughter having Fulkerson procedure
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 01:11:47 AM »

The surgery is ON & my daughter is scheduled for first thing tomorrow morning.  We're hoping to be home by mid-afternoon.  I'll post again as soon as I can. 
Daughter's History:7/96-LL:broken tibia,disloc KC8/07-LK: arthro surgery-remove part synovium 9/08: RK: severe KC dislocation9/08-1/09: RK: sublexes,maltracking,patello alta,weak collagen1/09: RK: TTT, MPFL,5/09: Fractured right knee cap - immobilizer for 7 wks,continued pain-12/09 hardware removal

Offline jumpi5d

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 05:50:28 AM »
Good Luck! Hope everything goes well.
-Paige

3/5/09 Right Distal Femoral Osteotomy for Patella Alignment 
11/19/09 Left DFO for Patella Alignment.

Offline dimples3887

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 06:48:06 PM »
I hope everything went well today! Keep her on her med schedule as close as possible and the fluids going in as much as possible.  There's not much you can do at this point except try to keep her as comfortable as possible, which is really not at all. :) Haha! But just know that it will get better every day, slowly but surely.

I hope you guys are home safely by now!

Best wishes!
21 yrs. old
LK: 6/02-LR(fail)
     9/05-MRI shows patella bone bruise
     12/15/05-Medial reefing, LR, patella debridement (fail)
     TTT to be scheduled after RK TTT rehab is done...
Pain, clicking, and crepitus in both knees now...
RK: 11/19/08 - TTT

Offline heidi63

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 09:40:11 PM »
The TTT was done & we are back home now!!!   ;D

My daughter did great - very calm before surgery (she even slept through the night!), they did a nerve block through her groin and after a bit of a struggle with the pain in recovery, we took her home.  She had fentanyl in recovery and 2 percocet right before we left.  She's been mostly sleeping since.  We have her leg elevated, iced & are keeping with her pain med schedule.  The OS also told me I could give her 800mg ibuprofen every 8 hours as needed.  We'll see how she is once the block wears off .. somewhere around 3am they said.  We're just so glad it's OVER! 

More later ....
Daughter's History:7/96-LL:broken tibia,disloc KC8/07-LK: arthro surgery-remove part synovium 9/08: RK: severe KC dislocation9/08-1/09: RK: sublexes,maltracking,patello alta,weak collagen1/09: RK: TTT, MPFL,5/09: Fractured right knee cap - immobilizer for 7 wks,continued pain-12/09 hardware removal

Offline heidi63

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 09:26:53 PM »
the pain has set in ... the block has worn off & this afternoon has been more difficult.  she is in a lot more pain & has ice bags up & down her leg.  The OS said she open up the immobilizer to ice it directly on the dressing and she says that the pressure from the immobilizer makes it more uncomfortable.  She's swollen & VERY uncomfortable!  I think we're in for a long night..................... :-\

Offline adlottis

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 09:58:27 PM »
Heidi,

I'm so sorry your daughter is in lots of pain, keep up on the pain meds, Got to keep them coming those first few days,  this is a painful surgery.  I had terrible problems with not being able to stand pressure on my leg for about 3 1/2 week after surgery.  I couldn't stand to have blankets on top of my foot, kind of weird huh?  Were you given a cryo-cuff, that was really helpful and it was attached to me right out of the reocovery room.  So I didn't feel extra pressure. 

Annette

PS don't wait for her to ask for pain meds, by the time she asks for them its too late and then you are playing catch up.  That happened to me after my TTT, I didn't know I needed to ask for pain meds and we couldn't get ahead of the pain the first night. I even had shots of dermoral to take the edge off but I was also in the hospital for 2 nights after the surgery.
1976 first dislocation 10 years old
1980 14 yrs old LR, MR, remove chip bone
1980-2005 numerous dislocations
March 2007 Proximal/distal realignment, chondroplasty
July 2007 MUA
July 2008  synvisc
Sept 2008 patellar tendon tendonitis
June 2009 hardware removal, LR, debriedment

Offline heidi63

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 10:14:08 PM »
Hi Annette -
No, we were not given a cryo-cuff - what is that? 
I'm waiting to hear how she is once she wakes up - still not time for more pain meds & I will be sure to wake her up for them when it's time!  That is one thing everyone has said to do!!!  You guys are invaluable for your first hand experience!  I can't thank you enough for posting!!!   ;D

Offline adlottis

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2009, 12:58:34 AM »
Heidi,

A cryocuf is a band that goes around the knee, with a hole at the knee that is attached with velcro.  It hooks onto a long tube that has a drink cooler attached to it, you fill the cooler with ice and cold water and attach the tube to the cuff and fill with water after about 30 minutes, you drain the water back into the cooler shake it up and then refill.  Much easier then ice bags and then your daugther can get up and move around.  You might ask your DR. for one.  Mine came with me out of recovery and was charged to me on my hospital bill.  I have loaned it out to a couple of other people who have had surgery or knee injuries.  I believe they cost about 250.00 but my was covered by insurance.  Another option is an ice/water machine that is electric, these you can rent.  I had a friend who was on one of these after his TKR and he said it was even better then the cryo-cuff.

Annette
July 2007 MUA
July 2008  synvisc

Offline heidi63

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2009, 02:42:44 PM »
I have heard of that from many on here but by different names.  Our OS said he didn't think it was anymore beneficial than just plain old bags of ice --- after two days of this & starting the third, I don't agree!  >:(  It would've been much easier to have the cryocuf or iceman or something than just me running up & down refilling bags of ice!! 
Rough night but I think that was the worst of it   ???   A terrible 12 hours, but she's now going for longer periods of "tolerable pain" between percocet doses and has cut out the advil due to her becoming very nauseous.  She's sleeping for longer periods now too.  She looks terrible -- very pale, dark circles under her eyes & just generally looks like she's been through the wringer!  And that's even taking into account what her leg looks like!  Tomorrow we change the dressing and she can get a shower (if she chooses to).  She's moved into her own bed (she was in our bed since we're on the first floor & close to everything & everyone) so I know she's not as anxious any longer and she just wants to sleep, sleep, sleep!  Swelling is still an issue but have her leg raised as high as is comfortably possible.

TGIF !   :D

Offline adlottis

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2009, 04:10:13 PM »
Heidi,

Yes, It will get better, the cryo-cuff was a great thing for me in fact mine was put on under my brace and I wore it 24/7 for the first 8 days after surgery. 

Swelling was a terrible issue for me, my left ankle was 3 inches larger than my right, I couldn't put any shoes on and ended up wearing flip-flops for almost 4 weeks,  My Dr. told me if he could hang me from the ceiling by my legs that is what he would do, that's how much my leg needed to be elevated, I spend many hours a day for weeks laying on the floor with my leg elevated on the end of the couch or a chair, I watched lots of video's with my little boy that way, mary Poppins, Elmo, Dora, etc. i even played Go-fish this way. I had a lot of bruising on my shin from the surgery and my foot and toes were black and blue form bruising and swelling.  This is  how my body reacted to the surgery.

I'm glad your daughteris able to go a few more hours with out percocet, It will only get better, but there might be a few bad days thrown in there.  she really needs to pace herself, i tried to do to much to early and all it ended up doing was exhausing me and make me sick to my stomach. 

I applaud you for getting your daughter's knee taken care of at a young age.  I started dislocating when I was 10 had a surgery at 14 never really fixed the problem and then dealt with it for 26 years.  So once I did deal with it my knee was really bad, My DR told me he doesn't typically do this surgery on 40 year old women, mostly they are late teens early 20's. 

Take care and i hope you both have a better day.

Annette
July 2007 MUA
July 2008  synvisc

Offline heidi63

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2009, 05:47:36 PM »
Hi Annette,
Thanks for the helpful suggestions & encouragement.  I do think today is a better day and she's progressing in the right direction.  Her foot is very swollen & her toes look like sausages!  She is it elevated pretty high and that seems to help.  I am looking into getting an iceman or a cryocuf ... it sounds very beneficial!  She would love to be able to wear it under her immobilizer.  Her OS told her to unstrap and open up the immobilizer when she's laying down to get the ice closer to the knee -- she has 3 bags of ice currently - one on the knee & one above & one below the knee.  She notices a big difference if she doesn't have ice on her leg.

Thanks for the vote of confidence at us doing this surgery when she's young.  It was not an easy decision for me (for her it was a "yes" from the first mention of it!).  I just wanted to make sure it was the best option for her -- it seemed so drastic & involved.  But, her OS firmly believed that this was her best chance at getting back to 100% & hopefully returning to dance.  We'll see about that one! 

Offline heidi63

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2009, 01:20:53 PM »
Day 4 after surgery ...

Pain, pain, pain.... we thought her pain would be better by now but it isn't.  Still taking 2 percocet & 800mg ibuprofen even though doctor wants her on less pain meds ... how on earth can she do that when she barely makes it through the 4 hours until the dose of percocet?  Swelling is under control with the ice - and we changed her dressing yesterday and the incisions look fine.  No shower for her even though yesterday was the day she was allowed to get one --- these doctors seem very out of touch with the reality of this surgery ??? :     It's a chore for her just to get to the bathroom when necessary.  I made her eat some real food yesterday - just 2 or 3 bites of more than applesauce or yogurt and that seemed to help with her energy & give her a little boost.  She's just so frustrated that the pain is still this bad.  I just try to help in any way I can & keep her spirits up!   :)

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2009, 02:34:07 PM »
Hey!

Hope things get better for her real soon!
I myself was in cast and not able to ice for 3 weeks. Would not use a cryocuff, we used to use it at work and weren't happy with the results. Back to using the plain old icebags.
Keep up with her painmeds for now, slowely try to lessen them. I was up and walking from day 1. I was lucky! But most people seem to be in more of a struggle. She isn't alone. Support her the best you can (you're doing great!!) and things will get better soon.

Give her my hugs.

Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline heidi63

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2009, 03:07:45 PM »
Thanks Helena!
I think my daughter thought she'd be up & walking from day 1 (or shortly thereafter) and her OS gave her that impression as well.  As typical of teenagers, she thought she'd be way ahead of the game because she's 17!  She's been sleeping all morning so far (over 6 hours) and this is the longest she has gone without waking up for pain meds, pain, new ice, etc.....  I'm hoping that means she's turned the corner and will have less pain --- either that or sheer exhaustion has taken over!
Thanks for your support - I really appreciate this website & those who offer advice!   ;D

Heidi

Offline adlottis

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2009, 07:27:21 PM »
Heidi,

I think one of the most difficult things I experienced from my recovery of this surgery was what I expected myself to be able to do and what I actually could do.  I presumed I'd be able to bounce right back and would be up and going 4 days after surgery, but the reality was that did not happen.  Tell her to be patient, and listen to her body, If she tries to push too much she will only hinder and delay her recovery.   My PT many times told me not to be so bull headed and just barell on through what ever I wanted or felt I needed to get done. Her area of concentration right now is getting her strength back and decreasing the pain so she can begin to function at somewhat a normal capacity.

Take care,

Annette

July 2007 MUA
July 2008  synvisc

support