Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Medial patellofemoral ligament reconsruction - advice please  (Read 22725 times)

Offline Gill1960

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Medial patellofemoral ligament reconsruction - advice please
« on: December 18, 2008, 02:41:20 PM »
Hi
Just got back from seeing OS and was told I needed a third op on my left Knee.  Had patellofemoral replacement in July08, revision done Nov 11 08 (replaced button), and now it appears my patella is still maltracking when I go from a flex postion to extension. Am totally fed up, just got to thinking finally getting over a really bad year and looking forward to 2009 when Low and behold he wants to do a medial patellofemoral ligament reconstruction in very early January.

Have been off work 25 weeks already,  what recovery can I expect from a MPFL recon?  Pain? will they use exisiting scar (About 7 inches long down my knee)?  Any more tips?

I went to see the OS without my husband because I thought it was just going to be a quick follow up appt;  Physio had said that the clunking and jumping of patella was 'probably down to weak muscles' and was working hard to get tone back. So I had no reason to think I would have this bombshell dropped on me and my mind went blank and I forgot to ask the OS all the questions.  Had a real blond moment.

So any info will be greatly appreciated.

Gill :(
2005 - arthroscopy & Lateral Release left knee
2006 - Arthroscopy & Lateral Release Right Knee
2008 July 8 - Bilateral Patellofemoral† replacement
2008 July 10 - Massive P.E.
nov 11- patellofemoral revision surgery left knee
Jan 09 - awaiting MPFL reconstruction left knee

Offline tamara jo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Medial patellofemoral ligament reconsruction - advice please
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 03:23:15 PM »
HI,
My son has to have MPFL reconstruction surgery July 17 he is 17. He dislocated his knee three years ago in football, since his surgery then it has dislocated 9 times. He is afraid to run and be a normal 17 year old. I am worried about pain and how intense this surgery is. I know his recovery is about 1 year. I can't seem to get any replys on my post, I see you are looking at the same surgery any info you know would be greatly appreciated.
Worried Mom
Tamara

Offline sinky72

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 03:26:22 PM »
Hi,

I was in exactly the same situation as yourself as when i got told i needed a MPFL recon, I wasn't expecting what i was told and everything i wanted to know i just couldn't think about until i got home.† Again before that, my physio was saying the same about weak muscle causing the maltracking of the patella.

I had†MPFL recon 7 weeks ago now and i have to admit that i wasn't expecting the level of lack of strength in my quads. Surgically, it all went well as expected (had a spinal instead of a GA) but for the 1st week i did find it quite painful (although not to bad).† As i said on an earlier thread I started, i couldn't even do straight leg raises until after about 5-6 weeks post op.† I'm still having to lift my leg a bit as i still haven't got the strength to lift it on it's own (usually on gym equipment at physio).† I have noticed that over the last week i am now seeing improvement in my bend and also strength is starting to get better in the quads.
I'm having physio x2 a week and also had a few sessions of hydrotherapy to help.

I have 5 scars around my knee, 1 each side of my knee (roughly an inch long each scar), one below my knee (which was used to take the graft from my hamstring, again roughly an inch long) and x2 very small scars where the arthroscope was used to look into my knee at start of procedure.

I was/am quite positive and and have really done everything my physio has said i should do.† It's hard but I would have taken all of this rather than my problem pre op of my knee being so unstable.

Another think i would suggest is don't think you should go without pain relief.† i made the mistake of stopping my meds as i wasn't really experiencing pain, until i went to physio and it was very painful.† It was suggested to me that i should still be on my pain meds as this will help while i am exercising.

Anyway, hope this has helped a bit and any other questions please feel free and contact me.

Good luck,

Simon

Offline tamara jo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 04:08:03 PM »
Thank you for your reply it was helpful.† †My son has surgery next friday the 17 of July.† He is scheduled as outpatient, that scares me because of the pain and for the fact that when he had his first surgery we found out he was allergic to vicodin. So i am afraid we will get home and he will become sick like last time. I would think they would keep him since it is a friday? We have an appoitment on Monday to go over everything and pick up his brace and the CPM Machine so I am trying to get all my questions in order so I wont go blank. Thank you again.
Tamara
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 04:36:09 PM by tamara jo »

Offline sinky72

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 02:20:19 PM »
Hi.

The thing your son has going for him is that is still 17 so hopefully his rehab will be better than my old body (37yrs old† :) ).† the prognosis of this surgery are usually very good so although it will be hard, he needs to be reminded that it's the long term that he needs to keep in mind.
When I had my op, i was in overnight.† I also decided to have a spinal anesthetic rather than a general anesthetic so i i didn't feel sick after.† Spinal anesthetic is very good in things like knee surgery but it's not for everyone.† I'm a nurse anyway so it didn't really bother me hearing the drill or catching a glimpse of what they were doing.

Ok, good luck to your son for friday.

Offline tamara jo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 01:59:53 PM »
Thank you for your reply we go to see his Doctor today and find out all the details and pick up the brace and cpm machine. Thanks again I will keep you posted....
Tamara

Offline DaniHigley

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 12:57:18 AM »
I'm curious to see how your knees/son's knee is doing. I had my MPLF replaced in June of 08 and am now in search of the correct surgery to finally fix my knee.  After 6 months of physical therapy I hit a brick wall where I was not gaining the muscle in my thigh back to where I was stable enough to run/walk properly without a limp. My knee got worse from there beginning to pop and grind every time i would kick or lift my leg up to put a pant leg on. The doctors assume I need a cartilage implant to assist in the grinding and allow my knee to build the muscle it can only build from activities like running... have either of you had any complications like this? I'm terrified of having another surgery but I am 23 and am missing out on the active life I once had. Any information or suggestions would be welcomed!
Medial Patellofemoral Ligament replacement June 2008

Offline bill1321

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 05:14:42 PM »
Tamara Jo, Was wondering if you have any update on your son's operation. My son, 15, has been told he should have the MPFL replacement surgery, and we are trying to make a decision. Thanks.

Offline laurenz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 03:23:10 AM »
Hi All. I recently had Medial patellofemoral ligament (MPFL) reconstruction  (cadavar) & Lateral release and wanted to share some of my experiences since I enjoyed reading this thread and WISH I had BEFORE I had surgery.

I am 8 days post surgery. I am still in a lot of pain and had my first post surgery physical therapy appointment yesterday. My doctor has me in a locked knee extension brace for 6 weeks.

I am 27 years old. At 16 I dislocated my knee and was told I tore my meniscus. They refused to do surgery stating I was too young. Since then I have been through 11 years of dislocations and PT. My dislocations would generally be mild and my knee cap would go back into place on its own. My knee would be sore for a few days but I could always continue to walk. Sometime I could feel "things get out of wack" before hand and I would do exercises to help get my knee cap back in place. I felt so defeated by this for so long and didn't feel like anyone truly wanted to help me.

I moved to a new state last year and thus have a new doctor. I was out one night just standing talking to friends and next thing I know I was on the ground in terrible pain. I had dislocated my knee and completely torn my medial patellofemoral ligament. My husband had to actually pull my leg to get my knee to snap back into place. I couldnít bare any weight on it for 2 weeks After surgery my doctor said that my meniscus was never torn all those years ago. He has treated a lot of patients for this conditions that have had similar reluctance from past doctors.

So I know thatís a lot of information but I wanted to share because I doubted myself for so long I thought the problem was me not my knee. My doctor said that my knee was completely unstable and the last dislocation had torn completely no amount of PT was going to help. I am extremely hopeful this surgery will bring some stability to my knee and life FINALLY.

I really trust my doctor and try to stay positive but not all have been peaches and cream.

You WILL need people to help you. My parents came from out of state for a few days. I was told I cannot drive for 6 weeks so I had to get permission from my employer to work from home. However, I can only do this for 3 of the 6 weeks so I will have to take a bus for the remainder of the time. Get a shower seat! You have to wait 48 hours after surgery before you can get it wet but you will sooo want a shower. I still donít feel confident to stand in the shower and getting over the bathtub side is challenging so again get a shower seat. You will thank me later.

I have uncontrollable spasms in my leg. Both my doctor and physical therapist reassured me that these spasms will not damage anything in my knee. But they hurt like hell and tighten from thigh, knee, and calf. Not to mention they scare me. They told me this is my bodies reaction to the trauma of surgery.

The knee itself is really weird pain and numbness. They said it could take up to a year for the nerves to grow back around the incisions?!!?! I was not expecting that and it really freaks me out.

I love the CPM machine and have already gotten up to 65 degrees bent but I find it frustrating that I canít do a lot of my other exercises.

I will try to update as I get a little further into my healing but Iíll  be willing to answer any questions.

Offline joolybooly

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 03:05:30 PM »
Hi,

I just had MPFL reconstruction and a lateral release on March 22. I saw in your earliest post that you had uncontrollable muscle spasms that hurt like hell and are scary. I am having these too-it feels like my knee is going to pop but it doesn't. I was doing great but now this has started happening while I'm on my crutches (not just at night sleeping) and it's super scary. I didn't bargain for this! Have these gone away for you yet?

Thanks,
julie

Offline vixs84

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 11:29:28 AM »
hey how is everyone. just after abit of advice i had this op done this time last year and in my pre op meeting i was told i would have some kind of brace after the op was done. i want to no if i was ment to have one after the op. i have now got crps in my leg since the op and my leg is given out on me more and more. can someone please help with this question

thank you

vixs84

Offline cezrevell1995

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 02:19:49 PM »
I had mpfl reconstruction on the 2nd of September! They gave me a fixed knee brace when the physio came around to see me. I stayed in over night even though I had an early operation. It went very well, but I have noticed the last couple days when I walk (partial weightbear), my knee will kind of make a pop sound and it'll hurt for a while after? Does anyone have any advice? I've been doing some exercises the physio gave me before I left the hospital, but I haven't seen her since. I'm waiting for a letter to be told when to go down and see them etc. I have got a post surgery appointment with the consultant on the 17th, so I will probably mention the pain to him then

support