Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Seeking advice  (Read 727 times)

Offline KARACHUONYO

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Seeking advice
« on: December 17, 2008, 09:04:24 AM »
I've been having a swelling on both of my knees for sometime now.Well the swellings started some years back when i was in primary school.I went to our local health center and i was told that the swelling was harmless.Some years later,i visited our health center in the college, and i got the same response.What worries me now are some of the effects i feel which i think might be related to the swellings.
I usually feel burning sensations on my legs,thighs and at times on my arms as if there is low blood supply.There is some pain around the knees and ankles.I feel tired at times with loss of memory at times.
The swellings are very hard (swollen bones) and are right below the knee patella on both legs.
Please,help me to know the diagnosis of this disease.I fear the symptoms can get worse with time.
Thanks.

Offline ghost

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • left knee
Re: Seeking advice
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 09:18:15 AM »
Hi

I had a friend with similar symptoms and she was diagnonsed with compartment syndrome.  Swelling increases to the point where it puts pressure on the blood vessels and causes the burning you describe.  It can be caused by an injury or surgey, but it can also be a chronic condition.  Check out www.othoinfo.com and search "Compartment Syndrome" for some details.  Of course that doesnt account for the memory loss or the tired feeling, but it is at least a place to start.   I would suggest an appt with an OS is in order.  It is unlikely that your pcp would encounter this issue in their practice, but an ortho would have a better grip on it.

Good luck and keep me posted.

Sue
rt k med meniscus 1983
rt k lat meniscus 2001
lft k med meniscus 12/07
lft knee medial meniscus 6/08 with chondroplasty & debridement of the suprapatella pouch
lft knee trochlear groove MFX 12/2/08 with chondroplasty and debridement of the suprapatella pouch
7/31/09 trochlear groove resurfacing

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Re: Seeking advice
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 11:20:23 AM »
Rather than seeing an OS first I would be seeing a good sports physician/doctor. They are much more aware of joint problems than your GP. Also they have a good understand of both conservative and operative treatments.

It is better to take the conservative route first. Unfortunately OS's only know how to operate and not much more.

Whereabouts do you live ?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 11:22:00 AM by kjwilkin »
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

support