Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Hardware removal after HTO post op diary  (Read 34491 times)

Offline cindy12

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Hardware removal after HTO post op diary
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 01:13:07 PM »
I can't thank you enough for this post, I had a HTO 7 yrs ago, and now need a knee replacement.  My OS said it would be a 2 surgery procedure, the first being hardware removal.  I had some issues a couple of years ago w/ the hardware and my OS said the removal would be as tough as the HTO regarding recovery, so I opted to leave it in. Well, to say I didn't freak a little would be an understatement, never wanting to go through that again. After reading all these posts, I am relieved and encouraged by your progress.  I am 45, in good shape and pretty strong considering I've lived the last 8 years or so with a knee functioning well below par.  I'm meeting with a trauma surgeon next week to discuss the removal.... If you have experienced anything during this procedure that would merit mentioning when I meet w/ her, please let me know, This is one process I want to be educated on before I proceed.. Knowledge is power, and I want to be prepared this time.  Thanks again for sharing your journey.. I can honestly say that it has made a difference
1983 torn acl
1994 acl reconstruct-miniscus removed
2001 high tibial osteotomy
10 scopes in between surgeries

Offline ArmyGirl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2010, 12:28:21 AM »
Hi there!  I had a knee scope in 2008, and after a year of PT, finally got a Fulkerson osteotomy with a lateral release in October 2009.  The surgeon put in two screws, and I ended up with a really good result: full ROM, weight bearing, able to walk, use the elliptical and the bike, etc.  Running was out for any sort of distance, but otherwise, pretty good.  Started having some trouble with the screws: couldn't kneel on a hard surface, had pain when it was cold, that sort of thing.  So, they removed them yesterday.  Outpatient surgery, was not in a lot of pain at home, but made sure to stay ahead of the pain by taking the percocet as directed.  Also was put on Celebrex for swelling.  Went back in to start physical therapy today (Army believes in getting right to it so that we maximize recovery/get the experts to take a look at the incisions and mobility), and everything seems great.  Authorized to walk without crutches as much as I can tolerate, still have full ROM, and very little pain.  Have still been icing it, and walking short distances.  I was a little worried about recovery, but I feel great, and should be back to work next week without a problem.

Best part: got to keep the screws.  :) See below.

Offline wan2hvfun

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2012, 06:14:33 AM »
[/b]FuzzyBob...I had sent you an e-mail to your listed address, but I guess you didn't get it. I want to know is it worth it? I had my HTO in March this year. Doc said it is healed. I still have pain when I hit it sideways. At the end of most days, it is stiff, probably because of swelling. Doc says that the plate is aggravating something in there, I think he said the MCL. I have read 50% of HTOs need to have the plate removed. I was a triathlete, before I tore my Miniscus a 2nd time, and did well. I just want to know, can I ever get back to running again? My doc says he is pleased with the surgery & healing. I just hate having this pain when I walk or bang my knee. Thanks, TC