Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Black Tie Advice?  (Read 732 times)

Offline CJ808

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Black Tie Advice?
« on: December 16, 2008, 04:16:47 PM »
Hi Guys,

Well, iv finally plucked up the courage to go out! (2 and a half weeks post op). After cancelling a holiday and completely withdrawing myself from all social events!

This saturday is a Black tie Birthday party. Being a birthday party and not a dinner its not AS formal. Just wondering if anybody can offer any inspiration or advice, due to the fact that im fairly sure my trousers will not fit over my brace.

Not the most urgent of all queries people will have on here, but all the same, im fairly sure somebody has had to overcome this same issue and i therefore look forward to your experiences and advice  :)

Thanks, Chris

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: Black Tie Advice?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 04:43:18 PM »
Chris - just wear the brace over your trousers and tell everyone its the latest fashion statement.
 ;D
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline CJ808

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 05:08:32 PM »
Very good answer in theory!!

However, and this is probably me just being stupid, but i have not yet taken off my brace. Is this allowed? lol.

Thank you

Offline dimples3887

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 05:30:19 PM »
I am not allowed to bear any weight on my leg if my brace is not on.  So here is my step by step, sit on the bed with your leg out in front of you and remove the brace.  Lift your leg and put it over the edge of the bed so you are sitting with both feet on the floor.  Stand only on your "good" leg and remove the clothes you are not wearing and sit back down.  Then, while sitting, shimmy your new clothes over your bad foot, then your good and stand on your good foot to get them up around the waist correctly.  When you are done with this, gently lift your leg back onto the bed and put the brace on just as you would over your leg but over your pants. If you have any ace wraps or anything under the brace, leave them in place under the pants, they should fit without an issue. :) Also, I tend to tighten my brace tighter over clothes because the material allows it to slide down more and get rather uncomfortable.

I hope this helps and isn't too confusing. :)  Good luck! Just remember to take it easy and move very slowly, not that we have much choice in that matter.  Haha! :)
21 yrs. old
LK: 6/02-LR(fail)
     9/05-MRI shows patella bone bruise
     12/15/05-Medial reefing, LR, patella debridement (fail)
     TTT to be scheduled after RK TTT rehab is done...
Pain, clicking, and crepitus in both knees now...
RK: 11/19/08 - TTT

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 05:36:00 PM »
Chris

yours is the immobiliser brace isn't it of I remember correctly? It could go over the trousers but it will be uncomfortable. How about trying to get hold of some black straight leg tracksuit trousers - or maybe go retro for the old fashioned baggy leg trousers from the 30s and 40s? You might get some from a costume hire place.

I tried the brace over my trousers and it drove me mad - either it was too loose and slipped down my leg or it was fine standing but the trousers were too tight when sitting etc. I was constantly fiddling with it, it drove me mad.

Good luck

Sue  ;)

1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

support