Advertisement - Hide this advert





Author Topic: Need to make a quick decision today....wisdom?  (Read 1255 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline rymama

  • MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Liked: 0
Need to make a quick decision today....wisdom?
« on: December 15, 2008, 04:20:23 PM »
Hello,

I'm new to the board and hoping for some quick wisdom.  20 years ago my husband (then 17, now 37) had a knee surgery.  He had torn cartilage in his knee so badly that they did a bone graph, taking bone from his hip and reattaching a huge piece of cartilage in his knee.  THe recovery was awful, but he went on to play college sports and life was good.  Fastward.  About 6 months ago he said his knee didn't feel right, bugged him when he lifted weights and ran, and felt like something was floating around.  Started bugging him more and more, and one time he couldn't straighten his leg as something was kind of wedged under his knee cap.  We just massaged and messed with it until he could straighten it.

So a couple days ago he says to me....man, my knee is Bad.  I look at it and his knee is swollen HORRIBLY....rock hard in some spots, so much fluid that viens are bulging out, last night he couldn't sleep it hurt so bad, today it hurt him to walk and the bad of his leg was all full of fluid and swollen. 

Obviously we need to do something quickly and are waiting for a call back from the Dr.  His biggest fear is that they will want to do the same surgery they did 20 years ago which had a recovery he is not sure he wants to go through again.  I believe he thinks that the full piece of cartilage had broken loose.  He is trying to gather info before he hears back from the Dr so he can make a quick and informed decision.

We have an insurance change happening on Jan 1 as well, so it then becomes an issue as far as having surgery sooner rather than later and so on.

Any one have some quick advice on what that could be and what options or things he should know before he talks to the Dr?  Can they just take out that cartilage and let him live with no cartilage?  If he waits a few days to go in, could more damage be done?

Thanks,
Jo

Offline jan uk

  • MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • **
  • Posts: 41
  • Liked: 0
Re: Need to make a quick decision today....wisdom?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 09:54:37 PM »
HI IT SOUNDS AS IF THE KNEE IS LOCKING AND SOME LOOSE CARTILAGE IS THE CAUSE I WOULD GO FOR SURGERY SOONER THAN LATER AS MORE DAMAGE COULD CREATE BIGGER PROBLEMS THERES LOTS THEY CAN DO THESE DAYS IE; ACL OR MICRO FRACTURE TO GIVE BACK CARTILAGE GROWTH SIMULAR HAPPENED TO ME THEY TOOK AWAY THE LOOSE CARTILAGE AND PERFORMED MICRO FRACTURE.GOOD LUCK.HUGS JAN
r/k patellar chrondroplasty,patellar debridement,lateral tear micro fracture.nerve problems l/k full dislocation lateral tear meniscus tear.twice.

Offline bavage

  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • *****
  • Posts: 524
  • Liked: 0
  • Meniscectomy 8/07 TKR 7/08 MUA 10/08
Re: Need to make a quick decision today....wisdom?
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 04:10:01 AM »
Be thankful that medical science has improved over the last 20 years.
It sounds as if something has broken off or chipped related to the older surgery. Best advice I can think of is to not damage it any further until you can get an X-ray or MRI ( if necessary).
Don't be afraid.
Certified Dietary Manager, ServSafe Proctor, Options Trader.           

AKA, The Curmudgeon

Offline eaglemom

  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • *****
  • Posts: 741
  • Liked: 1
Re: Need to make a quick decision today....wisdom?
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 04:29:33 AM »
It would be very difficult to narrow down his knee situation without knowing more.  Obviously he needs to see an os to be evaluated.  The os can get things going very quickly if  he would need any type of surgery if you let them know from the start about the insurance change.  The os you are waiting to see, are they on both plans?  Ask questions and then more questions - decisions need to be well thought out.















support