Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: newbie with hardware problems - in agony  (Read 1017 times)

Offline mairead

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
newbie with hardware problems - in agony
« on: December 13, 2008, 08:07:38 PM »
I’m a newbie here who needs some advice.  I fractured my right patella 3 and a half months ago,  did a good job of it – it was smashed into 20 plus pieces.   Was in brace for 12 weeks,  and on one crutch (cos I broke my left wrist in same accident).   Have now been told I am unlikely to get knee to bend beyond 75 to 80 per cent (my physio agrees with this as she can’t get the knee beyond 80 per cent),  and walking distances will be out of the question.  My real problem tho is the hardware, I noticed about four weeks ago that the screw was protruding, when I told my OS he said that my hardware was ‘prominent’ but that it might settle down, he also said my patella wasn’t exactly a normal shape anymore and was ‘lumpy’.   Well there has been no ‘settling down’,  pain has increased to agony level, screw is even more noticeable and I can now see where the tension wire is.    Not due to go back to OS till February, he said then he’d go thru some options with me if the hardware was causing problems. 

I’m wondering if I ought to go back now,  but would like to know from others the right sort of questions to ask my OS, and what, if any, options are available to me

thanks

Mairead

Offline fatcats6

• Forum Faithful
Re: newbie with hardware problems - in agony
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 08:24:34 PM »
Hello Mairead,

I fractured my patella in Feb 08.  PT progressed well till I hit 90 degrees and then the hardware became an issue.  Same as you, you could see 4 screws pushing against the skin, and the figure 8 wire clicked and snapped if the knee was at 90 degrees, very uncomfortable.  Two of the screws overlapped each other and trapped alittle bit of me between them.  This caused a "blister" or "cycst", the pain was incredible, almost as bad as the fracture, walking became increasingly difficult and eventually, I was back on 2 crutches and walking as little as possible.

OS said the hardware had to come out and this was done at 18 weeks.  Everything went fine and by ten days I had ROM of 118 degrees and everything was just so much easier, driving, walking, sitting etc.  I wasn't expected to get past 100 degrees, but with the hardware out, normal daily activities more than PT have seen me get to normal ROM by Oct 08....don't give up, you might get to 90 degrees with time and patience.

My advice.....go and see your OS now, don't wait till February.  The questions to ask...well, really it's only 2.  Can I get the hardware out and when:)  They usually take out the wire and the screws they can extract.  You will probably have screws they can't remove because they're embedded in the bone too far and you'd risk re-fracturing if they tried taking them out.

Recovery from the hardware removal is pretty quick.  The best thing to do is make sure you sit with your leg bent to the maximum ROM you have whilst the scar re-heals, it minimises the keloid scarring and just makes it easier afterwards...although at the time it's pretty yuck.

Adrienne
Feb 08 Fractured left patella
Jul 08 Released 115 degrees ROM
17/10/08 Dislocated & fractured right patella
2/12 45 deg
6/12 Drove car
16/12 92 deg
21/1 105 deg discharged from PT

Offline mairead

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: newbie with hardware problems - in agony
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 08:57:33 PM »
Thanks for that, that gives me some hope. 

Mairead