Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Is this bad?  (Read 861 times)

Offline k8ie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Is this bad?
« on: December 10, 2008, 11:31:34 PM »
Hi all,

I'm new here and have a swollen knee that I can't bend all the way or straighten all the way.  It's swollen under my kneecap and behind the knee.  The swelling just came on today, though the knee was sore and I couldn't kneel on it last week.  I was in a concert Thursday, Saturday and Sunday which required standing for almost two hours in heels each time. It's only my left knee.  I also have plantar facitis in my left foot and often wear a brace at night, and I'm wondering if this somehow tweaked my knee in my sleep.  Any advice from all you knee gurus out there?  I have a 4 month old and a 20 month old and am on my knees a lot, but now I can't even kneel and it's getting harder to stand up from a seated position while holding my baby.  :(  I tried icing it a little and can take NSAIDs if that would help.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated...I am really hoping I don't need to see a dr.

Thanks!
Kate

Offline Marjan

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Is this bad?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 02:40:03 AM »
Hi Kate,

Well, no one here can tell you what is wrong with your knee (we don't get paid enough  ;D )  Seriously, if I were you, I would make sure and try to rest it as much as is possible with your two young ones.  Really make a concerted effort to ice it regularly....ice it ALOT... then elevate it every time you sit down.  If something just got irritated in there from either standing on it, or your plantar fasciitis then between doing the above and taking some anti-inflammatory on a regular basis (per directions on bottle) you should see some improvement of your symptoms.  If not, your best bet is to have it checked out.  But, do try to be diligent in icing, and resting/elevating as much as possible. Keep up on the NSAIDs, they take awhile to get to a working level in your system. Stay hydrated, drink lots of water,  and see if that helps.  For icing, you can either use a bag of frozen peas, or make a double bagged mixture of 3 parts water to one part rubbing alcohol.  This doesn't freeze solid, so should fit around your knee nicely.  Make a couple so you can ideally ice 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off.....especially at night when the young uns are asleep!  :D

Good luck, hope things settle down for you -

marjan
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 02:42:20 AM by Marjan »

Offline bavage

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Meniscectomy 8/07 TKR 7/08 MUA 10/08
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 05:07:47 AM »
I am going to guess that the swelling is an indication of a problem. You say your knee hurt B/4 the swelling and that could mean a damaging progression has begun. You don't state what has caused the initial knee pain. what was it?
Certified Dietary Manager, ServSafe Proctor, Options Trader.           

AKA, The Curmudgeon

cat_123

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 04:09:44 PM »
If you didn't do anything to your knee and it is swollen I am guessing it could be something called Bursistis, which usually comes on due to being on your knees a lot.  It is not usually serious unless it gets infected.  Bursistis is an inflammation of one of the small sacs of synovial fluid and can cause pain, stiffness and swelling.  It can treated it by icing it and sometimes the doctor can use special injections that draw out the fluid.  I would go to the doctors to find out what exactly you have, because it could be something more serious like arthritis or an injury that you don't want to get any worse.
Hope it gets better soon.