Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: HELP - Baker's cyst after lateral release  (Read 14647 times)

Offline nadialife

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
HELP - Baker's cyst after lateral release
« on: December 10, 2008, 10:55:45 PM »
Hi There,

Before my surgery I already had a small cyst. Now I am 12 weeks post op lateral release, the cyst is back and it's a lot bigger than before. My doctor says it's nothing to worry about yet as my knee is still swollen and healing. there may be more fluid in the knee than usual. He says it's too early to see the results of the surgery yet and he is convinced that the cyste will go away once my knee works properly? To give me some relief I had it aspired a week ago but the cyst is already back.

any of you had this??? Is it worrying that the cyste has come back after the surgery and is it normal that my knee is still swollen after 3 months?

Offline SarahMN

• Regular Poster
Re: HELP - Baker's cyst after lateral release
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 11:49:04 PM »
I am 13 wks post LR. (done on 11/12/08), we must have been within a week of each other having LRs.

I still have the swelling like you, and have been told it is a 6-12 month recovery .  I also have a Bakers cyst.  The OSs have said to leave alone, because they just come back.  My cyst hurts too since the surgery.  No draining or anything done.  It is definitely irritating and I can feel it when I prop my leg up. 

I will probably do some board searches to see what they do about them, if anything. 

But you are not alone on this one.

I hope we both heal fast, and lose all the pain, and the weird Baker's cyst.  Where is yours?  Can you feel it?

SarahMN
3/25/09: R Knee: Arthofibrosis (LOA), chrondoplasty, excise plica, anterior interval release.
11/12/08:  L Knee: LR, Chrondoplasty of patella & MFC, Excise Plica, Synovectomy - 2005-2008: 12-16 weeks bi liateral knee injections with steroids. 
---& tried Synvisc, nothing but cost & 9-10 pain.

Offline RochelleRochelle

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: HELP - Baker's cyst after lateral release
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 03:14:29 PM »
My Baker's cyst did not deflate after my surgery.  My doc suggested he operate again to remove the cyst.  I went to another Ortho and he asked if I wanted it drained.  He pulled 30cc's of dark yellow fluid.  He also said that it "may" come back.  One year and several marathons later, it only comes back slightly and goes away in about a day.  May not be the same for you, but my knee felt great after the draining.  Just my thoughts.  mark