Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Distal Femoral Osteotomy - Pre & Post-Op Diary  (Read 111013 times)

northmonkey49

Re: Distal Femoral Osteotomy - Pre & Post-Op Diary
« Reply #255 on: October 07, 2013, 09:58:12 PM »
Hi All, hopefully someone can advise:

I had a distal femoral osteotomy 76 days ago (11weeks) and I seem to be making good progress. Whilst my ROM is now 100degrees +, I am experiencing severe pain on flexion. The pain can be pinpointed to a small lump at the foot of my scar (about an inch  from the midpoint of my patella on the medial side). It's agony to press on and a sharp pain when I try and bend my leg.

Trying to cycle is the worst, I have the seat a lot a higher and am struggling still to perform one rotation without severe pain. Has anyone else had these problems? Is this scar tissue? Can this be a screw? Or is part of the healing process?

Overall, I am walking reasonably well (came off the crutches after 9 weeks although I was able to walk after 6-7 weeks). And I'm building things up nicely in the gym, I am just fighting this horrific pain. I am not back at work yet (I teach physical ed).

The surgeon seemed pleased with my x ray at 9 weeks. I am still icing a number of times a day and I'm still taking quite strong pain relief. He didn't seem bothered by the lump, initially my PT thought it may have been a burst heamotoma, but the lump is solid. It seems to have got ton worse in the past two weeks although the lump hasn't changed in size (small egg shape).

My leg feels strong, much straighter and definitely alleviated the pain on the lateral side. I just cannot understand why I am getting such localised and sharp pain at the base of my scar. If anyone has any words of wisdom then I would very much value your input.

Thanks in anticipation

33yr old female

Offline Lee Tipton

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #256 on: October 11, 2013, 10:50:33 PM »
Dear Aturpin,

I am 3 weeks and a few days away from this surgery.  My surgery will be on my right leg however and I have been told by my 2nd opinion doctor that my curve is more than 15%. 

Whatever comes my way - I have no choice but to do this.  My foot and ankle is so painful that I cannot live like this.

Also I want to tell you how much I appreciate the diary you did.  I am on my second trip through it and I am not having nightmares about all of this.  So thank you again.

I am going to try to do a diary myself and I see that you used the reply facility so I will try that as well.

I know you are continuing to do well - but I never see Cherub.  I hope she got alright.

thanks and warmest regards,
Lee Tipton

Offline LHall

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #257 on: October 13, 2013, 05:06:07 PM »
NorthMonkey49,
The pain you're describing is very much like the pain I experienced about 3 months out of my first DFO. The pain began when I was using the stationary bike and elliptical. It progressed to the point where weight bearing became unbelievably painful. Within this time frame, I saw my doctor at least twice. X-rays revealed healing & that the plate was in place. The pain was attributed to tendonitis in the IT band. As I got closer to the 4 month post-op date, I was back on crutches and begging my dr. to remove the plate. He agreed to replace it with a smaller plate & to reposition it. However, when he performed the surgery he was VERY surprised to find 5 of the titanium screws completely broken and that the bone had not healed, even though like I said, previous x-rays suggested that everything was moving along nicely. Apparently, since the osteotomy had not healed, the bone was moving, causing the plate to loosen & eventually sheer the screw heads into.

All that being said, you most definitely need to be insistent with your dr. to take your pain seriously and to find out why you are having such severe pain. It could be something as simple as scar tissue or something as serious as what I experienced. I don't mean to scare you, but unbearable pain is NOT normal!

I hope this helps you a little. It's so miserable to live in pain like you are. Chronic pain consumes the mind and slowly wears away your quality of life. I hope you find an answer very soon!

Lisa

Offline clsknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #258 on: October 21, 2013, 01:45:18 PM »
Lisa, thank you so very much for your input on the PRP & for asking your dr.  Even though my doc who did my first 5 surgeries recommend it, my current doc here on base basically said the same thing as your surgeon.  So that gives me a peace about not trying it at this point.  I'm glad to hear you're doing better! 

Lee, I'll definitely be praying for you & that all goes smooth with your upcoming surgery!  I pray that your surgeon & all the medical staff get lots of good quality sleep the night before, too:-). You're going to do great!  Just keep a victory & restoration mind set!  I believe you're on your way to so much healing & relief & increased mobility!!!  Getting back to doing the physical activities you enjoy & leading an active lifestyle!  I'm so excited for you & what a courageous journey you're embarking on!!!

My husband & I have been prayerfully considering this next surgery (it will be a DFO, cartilage resurfacing -AIT?, plus the removal of a GIANT bone spur on the lateral side)... This would be knee surgery number 7 for me, all on my right knee.  In my flesh in the physical realm my body says NOOOO, not again!  Lol, but we are much more than just physical beings & deep down, I feel this is my best option for fighting for an active lifestyle & my future health!  God has opened many doors for this to be a great season of life to get this done & to move forward!  My hubby & I are looking forward to starting to try for children soon & I can't imagine going through a surgery as big as this with youngin's runnin' around, lol!  We are surrounded by lots of love & support here in our military family, & I know they will bless us with so much help!  Just one more thing to do first I think... My family is coming out to visit soon, & I want to visit with my mom in person about this surgery... She has been a physical therapist for 37 years & has been very concerned about me going forward with the DFO as it is such a "rare" (though not for us here on this thread, lol!) procedure. 

Anyway, I'll keep y'all updated!  We'll probably contacts surgeon here on base in a couple weeks to give him the green light.  During my exploratory surgery in June, they harvested some cartilage that is now "asleep" on the east coast, & it takes about 6 weeks to grow in a Petri dish... So the surgery, if we go forward, will probably be in January I'm guessing.  Reading all of your posts helps to give me a peace about this decision! 

Thank you all soooo much, & I'll be praying for you guys, too!

Sincerely,

Carie
(30 year old female)

Offline Lee Tipton

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #259 on: October 22, 2013, 06:55:38 PM »
My Goodness Young Lady!!!  If I ever had any "feel sorry for myself" moments - you would certainly cure them!!  6 surgeries on your right knee.  I have had 2 and I am dreading this third tremendously.  I don't have much in the way of knee pain - but my right ankle and ball of my foot are very painful and make it hard to walk.  That, coupled with the fact that I will turn 60 in March have encouraged me to get this situation behind me.  I am praying that God will be with me and that I will recover, heal and be able to take my grand daughter to Disneyland in the spring.

But my thoughts and prayers will be with you.  I know it is scary - but if you are going to be active - you don't have much choice.  God will be with you dear.  Your faith rings loud and clear in you talk.  Good for you!!!  He takes care of those that believe in Him and His Son.

Warmest regards,
Lee Tipton

Offline LHall

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #260 on: November 10, 2013, 08:47:58 PM »
Lee Tipton, just wondering how your surgery went??

Offline chereb

• Regular Poster
« Reply #261 on: November 14, 2013, 06:38:17 PM »
Hi Lee, im touched you asked after me. Im doing ok replied on the update thread. Recovering well from my TKR and praying that this works after the DFO's went so wrong. Still in pain post surgery but it is getting less. I will update properly once i know how its turning out. Hope you are keeping well.

Offline Lee Tipton

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #262 on: November 26, 2013, 02:03:34 AM »
Dear LHall,

I am doing quite well - thank you so much for asking.  I had surgery on 11/12/13, came home that Friday.  I have been being a good patient, doing what they say and staying down.  I sleep a great deal because of the pain meds but now I am starting to cut back some.  I iced the first 10 days - but the swelling is really subsiding now so i don't ice so much.  the worst thing is the non weight bearing and that is for another 4 weeks.  I have a diary in the less than 50 diary section titled Let the healing begin!.

Hope all is well with you.
Sincerely,
Lee Tipton

Offline Trentbrowne

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #263 on: December 15, 2013, 12:00:56 PM »
Hello everyone my name is Trent im live in Australia im 27 and I've had knee problems all my life I have just been told after an MRI that I need DFO in both legs and have tissue tears im both knees severe arthritis behind both knee caps and a loose fragment in my right knee .At this point im very scared and can't get any sleep thinking why me and worried bout my first surgery like will I wake up and stuff i knew that it was coming but now it's been sorted out what I'm having im freaking out. I have 2 young kids that my partner is stay at home mum. Im trying to work out how do am I going to afford to take 3 -6 months off work omg thats going to be so hard .thanks for listening to me

Offline slightfield

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #264 on: April 15, 2017, 06:44:46 PM »
I am having the exact same procedure in 2 weeks I am a 34 yr old female very active. Any chance we can talk more?