Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Newbie - Medial Knee Cap Dislocation - So Confused  (Read 1149 times)

Offline UKSare

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Newbie - Medial Knee Cap Dislocation - So Confused
« on: December 09, 2008, 05:26:25 PM »
Dear All

Hi - I'm new to the board and I am so glad I have found it.

A little history about me, I'm 27 years old, of average height and weight and have a delightful right knee!!! 

When I was 15 I caught my leg in a rabbit hole, twisted to get it out but fell to the side in doing so, dislocating my right knee cap with such force that part of my actual knee cap snapped off (looked like a pie chart on the xray!)

Since that time I have lost count as to how many times it dislocated - I would estimate over 50 times.  Within the year I had to get masking tape and strap my knee cap in place from the medial side towards the outer edge.

As a side note, my parents did not believe me at the time and therefore nothing medically happened for 2 years!!  I was then seen by a Consultant at the Droitwich Knee Clinic.  In giving the history, I told it as I knew it, it has always felt like it dislocated medially and not laterally - the pain is here, swelling is here and to stop it dislocating I strapped it to the lateral side.  However I was told that it was very unlikely that this was the case, however I would have an MRI to bottom out the issues.  This came back showed that it was dislocating medially and following that I was supposed to have an operation to essentially fix a false ligament to the lateral side (which I understand is not in anyone naturally).  However I did not have the surgery (the biggest mistake of my life)

Now I am having continuing problems and am under a new consultant, he has the notes from Droitwich however has never come across a medial dislocation and therefore is rightly questionning it.  I awaiting another MRI and CT scan in the next couple of months.

Has anyone come across a medial dislocation??  Anyone at all??  I am confused because I had an answer years ago and now feel as though I am back to square one.  (plus if I had an op on the medial ligament it would make my problems hundred times worse!)

Thanks for reading.

Sare

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Re: Newbie - Medial Knee Cap Dislocation - So Confused
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 06:20:10 AM »
Hi there,

I am a medial knee cap dislocater too !!!! They do exist, but are just very rare. I hate it when medical professionals say it doesn't exist, my OS can't stand it either.

Firstly, I think you should stop seeing you current OS as you need to be seeing someone that understands this problem.

Most conservative treatment does not work and in most cases surgery is necessary. The only scans that are going to be of any real use are CT scans and plain x-rays.

I lived in London for a couple of years and attended a great sports medicine clinic called Pure Sports Medicine. My advice would be to see one of their sports doctors/physicians first and be referred to a top knee surgeon. If you want I can email you a list of the top knee surgeons in London that my old sports physician gave me. He used to be the doctor to Fulham Football Club and used to work at Pure Sports Medicine.

Hope this helps. :)
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline UKSare

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 07:49:20 PM »
Thank you so much for replying - thank you for your advice as well.  I would be so grateful if you could provide me with those contact details of OS's in London.

Can I ask what surgery you had to have - years ago my main problem was dislocation and to be honest it was not very painful unless I was recovering from an actual dislocation.  I understand that was because I was in my teens and early twenties.  However nowadays I am crippled with pain, swelling and heat in the knee.  I am having to take Codine Phosphate at least four days a week, with ice packs and ice gels.  I also stand on one leg most of the time (much to the amusement of my work colleagues!)  But, touch wood, the knee has not dislocated for 16 months.  I dont feel I can trust it though, it feels like jelly and I know it will do it again, its just waiting to happen. 

Thank you again I really appreciate you "talking" to me.

Sare  ;D

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 09:32:11 AM »
Hi UKSare,

I will send you a private message with the list of surgeons and their details.

Will also put in my personal email so we can correspond that way.

I've had a number of surgeries to my knee, but the trochleoplasty I had in May 2008 has fixed the problem. It has made a massive difference to my life. It has been a long and slow recover though.

Chat soon. :)

11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

support